Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 20:00

Windows 8 on Inspiron Duo (Touch screen not working)

Hi.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 8 32bit on my Inspiron Duo but now the touch sensor is not working. The OS doesn't detect any touch-enabled screen.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Harshen

31 Posts

January 8th, 2013 16:00

I have done the same thing with a Duo that I had to replace the Windows 7 OS when it got corrupted.  I started out with the Windows 8 Enterprise demo which worked so well that I purchased the Windows 8 Pro upgrade.  Most of the stuff works including the Touch Screen but some of the apps seem to cause it issues.  I would suggest if you do use Windows 8 DO NOT use a Microsoft account without being very careful about what you have syncing.  There have been a number of issues around the web where somethings that get synced cause issues with tablet type of machines...the biggest I have seen is where the Touch Screen gets turned off.  I also agree that Dell should reconsider and put out some Windows 8 drivers for the Duo it is a great machine that fills a very specific market niche that they don't have something to fill yet.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2013 19:00

I received a phone call today from Dell to extend my warranty on this device.  Told them no since they aren't supporting it with the latest and greatest.  The guy wouldn't take no for an answer, so I ended up just hanging up on him.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2013 21:00

Please and Please how do i go about installing windows 8 on my Inspiron Duo. Where do i get the software and how do i do the install? Help Urgently please...I don't wanna have nightmares and wreck my system. Thanks so much!

31 Posts

January 21st, 2013 09:00

The install of Windows 8 on the Duo worked everything seems to be working.  I do have one item device still marked as unknown and I suspect it is the motion/GPS sensor.  I got the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade directly off the Microsoft site.  I did elect to save and burn to DVD so that I would have the software if I ever needed to reinstall it in the future.  You must first have a working Windows 7 on the system as you have to start the upgrade from within Windows 7.  From there the install went smoothly.  I found that most of the drivers for Windows 7 on the Dell Support site seemed to work for Windows 8. Once you begin the upgrade then you CANNOT revert to Windows 7 unless you have the Windows 7 DVD as the repair/restore partition is no longer available.   If you have never done an install or upgrade I would suggest you consider having a professional do the work.  I am a professional but as with anything we have to learn and sometimes we learn from people willing to do things we would not do so we ask in Communities like this.

Good luck

2 Posts

January 21st, 2013 12:00

Thanks a lot. Since am meant to burn it on a dvd, how can I do that since I dont have a dvd burner on my duo?

31 Posts

January 21st, 2013 12:00

You will need an external DVD burner.  I have not looked at trying to use a Windows 7 software to read an ISO to load from but that may not be possible anyway.  You can download the ISO to the Duo then transfer the file to another machine that has a DVD burner and ISO burning software.  In case you don't know an ISO is a disk image.  The Windows 8 upgrade will download as an ISO file that then needs to be loaded by software to be read or using Explorer to burn the disk image to a DVD/CD.  Some ISO's are for CD's but the image for Windows 8 is a DVD.

Before you begin make sure your BIOS is at the latest release for the Duo.  I think that is revision 4 or 6.  If it is not then do that while you have Windows 7 functioning as it may be harder or not possible to do under Windows 8.  The BIOS update is available under the Driver section of the Dell Support site for the Duo.  Plug the machine into AC power when you do the BIOS update as it will geneally refuse to update unless you do this.  Make sure you follow the directions carefully as if you blow the BIOS update the machine is pretty much worthless afterwards.  The machine will reboot during the BIOS upgrade and if you don't want to do this a professional would be recommended.  It normally only takes about 15 minutes or less to do the BIOS upgrade.

Good Luck

1 Message

February 18th, 2013 05:00

ti rabbek bhim walla msattak?

mathammesh start menu fil 8

fi bo93it ma 9a3id tssayeb fi hal bhama rak ktibt driver ysla7!!!!!!

February 26th, 2013 14:00

Ok, so this is a bug driven by the difference between the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro features.  To fix this:

1.) Go to the start screen

2.)  Type CMD, right click the icon that appears and "Run as Administrator"

3.) Type "bcdedit /set testsigning on" and press enter

4.) Restart and touch will work.

This enables test mode but it will get you by until MS releases a fix (hopefully)

Enjoy.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood IT Guy.

1 Message

April 14th, 2013 09:00

Any tips on installing Windows 8. Did you update or do a clean install to another partition. This is what i usually do in case of horrors!

Cheers

31 Posts

April 15th, 2013 20:00

In my case I purchased the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro.  Keep in mind I did this months ago but I believe I had the upgrade format the drive and then install.  I had downloaded all the Windows 7 drivers for the hardware and had them on a USB drive.  I did find one missing driver but a Dell support tech knew what I was referring to and posted a link to it.  It was for the motion detection system.  All of the most recent drivers at the time worked great on the Windows 8 system.  I still don't understand why Dell will not support the Duo with Windows 8 but it is their call even if it makes no sense.

Most important was make sure you have the BIOS at the most current version BEFORE you attempt to put Windows 8 on the system!  I have not tried to upgrade the BIOS since the system was converted and I know that sometimes the BIOS software will do a version check before it upgrades and not allow you to upgrade a system that has the "wrong" OS on it.  I think in this case it was more a matter of some of the things that Windows 8 does would expect the BIOS to be more current.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2013 13:00

You were able to get the Atheros wireless bluetooth to work?

31 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 20:00

Yes the drivers were part of either Windows 8 Pro or else I used the Dell Windows 7 ones, either way it is working.  We don't use it but it is reporting correctly in the Device Manager.

Jon

2 Posts

May 9th, 2013 22:00

Thank you for this info.  This did enable the touchscreen to work. It does seem that I am not to begin typing in desktop mode and it begin to search. I seem to also have lost the ability to get off the desktop and to the tile page as well.  This  things did work before I put it into test  mode so I concluded that what caused the change. I am open to suggestions though.  Also I can no long just click on a web link that is on a ed page and be linked.  Thinking I need to reverse this and try another approach to get the touchscreen to work. Any suggestions on these matters?

2 Posts

May 9th, 2013 23:00

Sorry i am new to blogging. I though my statement would go directly under the suggestion I  followed.I followed the advice of Edward Clark and set my duo up in test mode to get the touchscreen working and then I notice the things that are noted above.

1 Message

May 8th, 2014 12:00

I just upgraded to windows 8 pro {I have a inspirion 1720}and now my touchpad is not working properly. I went to hardware and sound, and the only device is showing a mouse. how do fix my touchpad so the scroll feature works again?

No Events found!