Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 13th, 2013 15:00

Windows Explorer and file navigation problems

Hi all,

I've had some problems in the last few days with Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer decides to freeze (often causing me to hard-reset, though not all the time) whenever I right-click on an icon on my desktop or when I browse the programs via the Start Menu. I've also experienced problems trying to browse my files and folders. When it does work, it takes an age to load.

When the computer doesn't crash I'm able to use Task Manager to reload Explorer.exe

I've run various diagnostic/repairing methods, listed below, which haven't worked so far.
1) CHKDSK utility via command line in admin (reported no errors)
2) sfc /scannow via command line in admin (reported no errors)
3) "HDDScan" (no errors with C drive)
4) System Restore to a previous restore point
5) Microsoft "Fix It" utility
6) Ensured that no unfamiliar programs have been installed recently

My laptop is less than a year old and the spec is very good so no performance issues.

I thank you in advance :)

3.1K Posts

May 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi Jonnyisonfire,

I would suggest you to run the on-board Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu. Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/17hZikk.

Alternatively, check in Safe Mode:

• Power off the computer.
  • Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times.
  • This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’.
  • Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select).
  • When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the same issue persists.

Please reply with the findings.

May 14th, 2013 06:00

Hi there Appu, thanks for your response

I tried the on-board Diagnostics, all tests passed successful and the only thing I got was error code: 0F00:133c (optical drive?) which didn't affect the read/write tests of the drive.

The laptop seems to function properly in safe mode.

3.1K Posts

May 14th, 2013 07:00

Hi Jonnyisonfire,

Thank you for the response. I would suggest you to disable the start up items and check if the issue persists. Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window -> Type 'msconfig' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok' -> This will open the System Configuration windows. Click on the Start up tab and uncheck  all the options listed (except Dell Quickset).

You may watch the video on 'Stop Startup Programs with MSCONFIG'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MnO8T_4uUbQ

If the issue persists, try creating a new user account and check. Please refer to the link on How to Create a user account http://bit.ly/VNSBTb.

Note: The link mentioned above is given on assumption that you are using Windows 7. Let me know if you are using a different operating system.

Hope this helps.

May 14th, 2013 11:00

also my laptop now crashes when I open 3 Internet Explorer tabs

The extra user account presented the same difficulties unfortunately, safe mode works well though

May 14th, 2013 11:00

Hi there,

I disabled all of the items on the list except for quickset and my anti-virus, and it booted up a bit faster. The computer did, however, hang on "Shutting Down..." so I had to hold the power button down to turn it off. Firefox has also since crashed so I'm going to uninstall it then install it again.

May 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi there,

I'm using the pre-loaded McAfee Security Centre that came with the laptop as part of the deal and I don't have a disk to load it back on after an uninstall. Do you have any other recommendations?

3.1K Posts

May 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi Jonnyisonfire,

It seems to be a software issue; possibly some software is conflicting since Safe Mode works fine. Try to disable the Antivirus and check. If you experience the same issue, try to re-install the Antivirus.

Please reply with the findings, Awaiting your response.

May 17th, 2013 04:00

Hi there,

The laptop runs for about 5 minutes before freezing in normal mode now, and I can't uninstall anything in safe mode. Safe mode (with networking) still runs well though. Please advise,

Regards

3.1K Posts

May 17th, 2013 10:00

Hi Jonnyisonfire,

If the system is running normally in Safe Mode, it indicates towards a possible software conflict. Please disable the Antivirus using System Configuration (msconfig) utility and check the functionality of the computer.

Please share the findings.

3.1K Posts

May 17th, 2013 11:00

Hi Jonnyisonfire,

unfortunately, there isn't a way to perform PC Restore in Safe Mode. Here are the steps to perform PC Restore.

• Restart PC, press 3-4 times when the Dell logo appears.
  • Advanced Boot Options menu appears, ‘Repair your Computer' is highlighted, press Enter. (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice)
  • Windows is loading files screen appears. Wait for it to load.
  • System Recovery Options prompt appears. Specify the language and keyboard input that you want, and then click ‘Next’.
  • Log in as a user who has administrative credentials; select the username from the drop-down list, type the password and click OK.
  • Choose a Recovery Tool Window appears, select Dell Data Safe Restore and Emergency Backup.
  • The Welcome screen will show 2 options; Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files and Select other System Backup and more options. Select the second option (Select other System Backup and more options) and click Next.
  • The next window shows these options; Backup Files and folders and Restore my computer. Select ‘Restore my computer’.
  • Select the Factory Image and click ‘Next’.
  • The next window shows 2 options; 'Preserve new or changed files before restoring to selected System Backup' and 'Restore without preserving new or changed files'. Select the second option (Restore without preserving new or changed files) and click Next.
  • A prompt appears stating that your computer is about to be restored all data currently on your computer will be deleted and replaced with your selected Full System Backup. If an Emergency File & Folder Backup was created, it will still be saved at the location you selected. Click 'Yes, continue' and click Next.
  • PC restore will initiate. Once done, click Restart.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to create a user account

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

This has had no effect, unfortunately.

Hi there Appu,

Thank you for your response, I guessed that this would be the outcome, nothing else seems to work unfortunately. Can a factory reset be done in safe mode? If so, how would I go about doing it (once my data has been backed up of course)?

Regards,

3.1K Posts

Hi Jonnyisonfire,

As mentioned earlier, if the system is works fine in Safe Mode, it indicates a possible software conflict. I would suggest you to perform PC restore, which means taking the computer back to factory defaults to eradicate any software issues.

Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

You may refer to the link on the steps to perform PC Restore http://dell.to/10y44Er

Please reply with the findings.

No Events found!