Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2017 06:00

Windows Hello in Dell XPS 13 9360 not working after sleep.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 13 9360. Whenever I put my laptop to sleep, the fingerprint scanner fails to start/recognize and I cannot login using Windows Hello. I am forced to enter using my PIN or Password.

I have installed latest drivers and have tried other things as said on the internet such as going to Device Manager -> Biometric devices -> Properties -> Power Management tab -> uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Well, this does not solve the issue for me! 

Anyone facing the same issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 07:00

If your online connection (WiFi) is going to sleep while in hibernate, Windows Hello will not work. So you need to set your WiFi to not enter sleep mode when the operating system enters sleep.
* Press Windows Key + R
* Type devmgmt.msc
* Click OK
* Open Network adapters
* Right click the Wireless device
* Click Properties
* Click Power Management tab
* Remove all checks
* Click OK
* Close the Device Manager
* Restart the computer
* Enter sleep mode and see if Windows Hello now functions

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 08:00

My first suggestion would be to remove the fingerprint and recreate it on the system.  If you are running the Fall Creator's Build upgrade, it may have made some changes regarding several things on the system.

For instance, I believe the 9360 does Modern Standby and the latest build has caused problems for it.  No more hibernation and when returning to the desktop, it may invoke the Airplane mode which would stop network connectivity, although I do not believe network connectivity is involved with this situation.

October 27th, 2017 11:00

Hello Chris,

I am unable to find the Power Management tab under Wireless device. There are a few devices under it, checked each one of them, I was not able to find the Power Management tab for any of the devices.

Also, I am confused as how the Wi-Fi can be turned on while the device is at sleep. Not sure how that thing works...

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 27th, 2017 11:00

Interesting, seeing as the latest fingerprint reader driver update fixed this exact problem on the Creators Update. But as was mentioned, maybe another update is required for the Fall Creators Update, although in that case you may be waiting a while since the update for Creators came out about 5 months after Creators itself. If that’s true again, it will be 1 month before the NEXT Windows release is expected.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 27th, 2017 15:00

For why Wi-Fi works while the device is asleep, the answer is that "Connected Standby" sleep isn't really full sleep mode anymore.  Here's an article about it, which was written for Windows 8, but it's still relevant: www.howtogeek.com/.../

October 27th, 2017 19:00

@jphughan Thanks, I get it now and nice info The thing is I put the laptop to sleep at night and when I open it in the morning, the fingerprint reader doesn't work.When I enter using my PIN, I see that Biometric devices from the Device Manager have disappeared. This is more like hibernation which used to happen on Windows 7? 

Can I keep my Wi-Fi on during this period on this laptop is my question. if I can, how? :)  (If you can help me)

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 27th, 2017 20:00

Sounds like another driver update may be required for the new Windows release.  Sigh....  As for Connected Standby, I admittedly haven't looked into it much, but from what I remember, WiFi doesn't just stay on for general purpose activity.  Instead, an application has to support Connected Standby, and if such an app is running when you put the system to sleep, the system will occasionally wake itself up for that application to refresh its data so that it's already current when you wake it back up -- so for example Outlook will already contain all your latest email when you wake your system up rather than having to download it all at that time.  But applications that don't natively support Connected Standby won't be able to do this.  If you want to be able to keep WiFi on so that you can wake your system up over the network, your system may have a "Wake on WLAN" option in the BIOS.  I haven't experimented with that either, but I believe if you enable tat, you'd then just need to find a utility that sends the "magic packet" to wake that system up.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 20:00

I suppose the fact I turned my internet access and was still able to use the finger print hello means nothing.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 28th, 2017 00:00

^^ Umm, what?  I'm not sure what "turning my Internet access" means, or what Internet access has to do with a fingerprint reader....

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 28th, 2017 18:00

^^ Umm, what?  I'm not sure what "turning my Internet access" means, or what Internet access has to do with a fingerprint reader....

The OP stated the fingerprint Hello was not working.  It was stated the network must be connected for that to work.  On my system, that does not seem to be the case.  I could be wrong, so hopefully someone will correct me, but maybe looking in another area for a solution would be best.

There have been occasional threads in which Windows Hello is having problems, so they could all be related.  On my system, I sometimes actually have to tap my finger on the reader for it to work.

There is a TPM.msc UI but I have no experience with it. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 28th, 2017 20:00

I wonder if the network connection variable depends on whether the user has their Windows user account linked to their Microsoft account.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 28th, 2017 22:00

If we were to know the actual situation, I could test.  My tests were done logged in with a Microsoft account.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 30th, 2017 07:00

I see it on my Latitude laptop using the Wireless AC 7260. Notice I removed all checks =

The test would be for all users of Windows Hello to match their settings above and retest.

October 30th, 2017 07:00

Hi Chris,

I have Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter on my Dell XPS 13. 

Can you please tell me where do I change here? I saw properties of all devices/adapters under Network Adapters, however, none of them have a Power Management tab.

Thanks

October 30th, 2017 09:00

Hi Chris,

I do not see this either!

Looks like the settings have changed quite a bit from what version you have got. Any solution to this? 

Thanks

No Events found!