Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2009 08:00

Windows Live Messenger 2009 Webcam issue

Hi all,

I have a E6400 with integrated webcam. I have just installed windowslive messenger 2009 (build 14.0.8064.206) and having a strange problem with starting a video conference or showing my webcam.  When the other party accepts my invitation the webcam session just ends without any error messages. I can view the other party's webcam without a problem and my webcam works fine with other programs. I have searched the internet and found out that there is an issue with McAfee site advisor, but I am using Norton 360 and no mention about any problems with Norton and WLM 2009.

I would really appreciate if anyone shares his/her experience on how to resolve this, or may be better to give a link that I can download the older version of messenger (appereantly cannot from ms site) till the problems will be resolved with new version of WLM 2009.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts!

92 Posts

March 18th, 2009 09:00

gracchus...

In addition to McAfee SiteAdvisor user's, there are quite a few Norton user's experiencing the same problem as you are.   I have yet to find a fix for it..   However, you asked, " to give a link that I can download the older version of messenger".  On this page of a  271 comment thread, where the problem is addressed,  a link is given for the older versions of Messenger.

Old Version of MSN Messenger

http://www.oldapps.com/msn_messenger.php?old_msn=1

Hope this helps..

Carol

2 Posts

March 18th, 2009 13:00

Thanks Carol,

I have downloaded the older versions (8.5,7.5 and 7.0), but unfortunately the old versions of msn forces a mandatory upgrade to newest (but not the greatest) version which has a serious issue in my opinion. And, yes, I don't know how to overcome this mandatory upgrade "feature".

So, the problem is still there, but thanks anyway.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are highly appreciated...

1 Message

May 30th, 2009 15:00

I too had this problem so i decided to contact McAfee, they advised me the following:

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Consumer KnowledgeBase

The Microsoft Live Messenger 2009 (v14) Video Conferencing feature does not work after installing SiteAdvisor

Consumer KnowledgeBase ID:

TS100601

Version:

Published

Published:

January 14, 2009

Updated:

February 20, 2009

Solution

The Microsoft Live Messenger 2009 (v14) Video Conferencing feature does not work after installing SiteAdvisor

Affected Products:

Affected Operating Systems:

Affected Applications:

SiteAdvisor

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista

Microsoft Live Messenger 2009 (v14)

Description

Due to changes in the new version of Live Messenger 2009 (v14), you may be unable to use the webcam and video conferencing features when SiteAdvisor is installed.

Solution

This issue is resolved in SiteAdvisor versions 2.9.256+ and 2.8.306+. McAfee recommends you upgrade to one of these versions. To verify what version of SiteAdvisor you have installed:

1. Open your web browser (Internet Explorer or FireFox).
  2. Click the drop-down arrow beside the SiteAdvisor icon in your web browser toolbar.
  3. Click About.

Use the first two digits to determine your version number. For example, if the full version number is 2.9.242, then you have version 2.9. If you have version 2.6 (in FireFox, the version may display as 26), upgrade to 2.8 or later.

If you are temporarily unable to upgrade, McAfee recommends configuring SiteAdvisor to stop monitoring Live Messenger:

1. Navigate to the following folder:

Windows XP/2000/Vista (32-bit): C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor

Windows Vista (64-bit): C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor

2. Right-click the file sasets.ini and select Open With, then select Notepad.
  3. Locate the section titled [msnmsgr.exe].
  4. Change Enabled=1 to Enabled=0.
  5. Click File and select Save.

Close sasets.ini and restart your computer for changes to take effect.

I hope this will help some people. it worked for me.

No Events found!