Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2015 00:00

Windows Update Issue - Serial IO I2C ES Controller

I have an Inspiron 11 3000 Series. Just ran Windows Update today and there was an optional update for "Intel Corporation - Other Hardware - Intel(R) Serial IO I2C ES Controller" Published 05/13/2015. After I install this through Windows Update the Dell touchpad stops working properly. Touchpad becomes sluggish and unresponsive and you can't access the Synaptics settings anymore. Also when looking in Device Manager it is not there anymore and Serial IO I2C appears with a yellow exclamation mark.

Had to go to Device Manager and rollback the driver for Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller (it went back to 2013 driver version instead of 2015) but now there are no more issues in device manager and the touchpad works fine after reboot.

What is "Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller" and whats up with the latest update for it that Microsoft is trying to push through Windows Update?

7 Posts

August 5th, 2015 22:00

Update: After upgrading to Windows 10 the system defaulted to the 2015 version of the Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller and once again it showed up with an error in device manager and Dell Touch pad was not listed and was not working properly.

This time there was no option to roll back the driver. I had to click on Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > I was presented with 3 options one of which was simply called Intel I2C Controller. I selected that one and it installed and the error went away and right after Dell Touchpad also appeared in Device Manager and started working properly.

I checked the version of the driver that got installed using the method above and it's the same that Dell has on their support page. 

So for some reason Microsoft keeps trying to install an incompatible driver for this device which causes issues.

1 Message

May 16th, 2015 09:00

Exactly the same thing happened when I installed the update.

7 Posts

May 16th, 2015 15:00

Good to know that it's not just me. Something for Dell and Microsoft to look into I guess. I have hidden that update for now.

May 30th, 2015 00:00

hi rollining the driver back solved this problem, im also using Inspiron 11 3000 series. My bluetooth does not seem to work. After connecting no sound is heard inthe bluetooth device.Can anyone relate to this problem and touchscreen starts behaving abnormally sometimes...starts registering touch(in one particular area) without actually being touched...if anyone can pls help me with this problem. Thanks

August 6th, 2015 11:00

srudenko -- THANK YOU!!! That fixed the problem I posted titled "Inspiron-11 3147 Touchpad Driver Won't Install"

August 8th, 2015 05:00

I had to remove the device and drivers from Windows 10 chipset drivers provided by Dell and install old Windows 8.1 I2C driver and it works now. I couldn't change to any other driver beforehand.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 03:00

Hello,

Could You help me out with this issue. I cant seem to find this Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller and still I cant install the synaptics driver :/

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 08:00

Him could You help out a bit more. This solution doesnt work for me cause I dont have Intel Serial IO I2C ES Controller. I managed to have a little padlock in tray that locked my function keys when fn+esc pressed but then I had to reinstall the system and I do not remember how I did that :( but with that padlock the brightness control worked as well.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 10th, 2017 14:00

To answer the OP's original question, I2C is the new protocol used by built-in keyboards and/or trackpads, which historically have used the legacy PS/2 protocol.  Unfortunately, Microsoft pushing incompatible drivers is not completely unknown, and with Windows 10 not giving an easy way to block driver installations (compared to earlier versions where those were always optional), it can be tricky to avoid. However, users of the PRO version of Win10 can block this by doing the following:

- Click Start and type "gpedit.msc".

- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

- Select "Do not include drivers with Windows Update", set it to Enabled, and click OK.

2 Posts

August 10th, 2017 14:00

now 2017, and problem is still here.

I was unable to install intel i2c driver - it say "unsupported platform". Now I have two devices off in device's manager - i2c bus itself and DMA controller.

As affect - touch pad does not work as should (gestures do not recognized) and wake up from suspend does not work.

various BIOS I tried (from A06 up to A11). same effect.

system is Win10 x64

Mr Dell, why I cant install i2c driver?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 10th, 2017 15:00

@StAlex74, what model system do you have?  You might want to download all of the Chipset and (if applicable) Touchpad drivers for your system from support.dell.com, uninstall any that currently exist on your system, and then install the versions you downloaded.  Do the general chipset driver first, then I2C (might be called Serial IO), then touchpad.

2 Posts

August 14th, 2017 13:00

@jphughan

Model is the same as @srudenko - Dell 11" 3147 (Win10 Home x64 which appears after upgrade from stock Win8)

I am at war about a month or so. I've try a lot of suggestions. You're mentioned too - with complettely deinstall all drivers tree from OS - and step by step installation all "fresh" drivers from dell's website - i2c driver always say - unsupported platform. In any case. In any way.

Last thing - complettely wipe the dell's unit and start from stock Win8 - but again without luck - I can't download an OS image from dell.com due to message  - unable to complete your request, You can ask in techsupport... but our model - is out of guarantee due to lifetime. So, no Windows image. No working (as should) notebook.

Now I write this letter from the latest Ubuntu, but also with caveats - acpi wakeup also do not work at all.

No Events found!