Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2014 09:00

Windows asking for activation code !

So i bought inspiron 5537 like 2 months ago. It is running windows 8. Today it is asking me for the activation code for windws . Is there any place from where i can get my activation code to put in there ? I couldn't find anything related to that in the pc box . 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2014 10:00

You might want to ask - if a new copy of Windows was installed, you'll need a new license key for it.  Otherwise, hopefully you made a set of recovery media  because you'll need to reload the Dell OEM copy of Windows.  If you didn't you'll have to contact Dell for that.

3 Posts

I didn't install it myself. It was all out of the box windows. I had been off for some days when one of my friend had taken over my laptop. May be he ran some programs that screwed up the OS . Not sure what to do.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

No activation code is needed with the Dell OEM copy of Windows.  Did you install Windows yourself, or did you purchase the system from a third party (dealer, retailer, etc.)?

3 Posts

Yeah fortunately i had made a backup of the system using the dell recovery tool some days ago . So restoring that will fix the problem right ? And all the data present at the time of backup ?

No Events found!