Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 29th, 2013 19:00

Windows failed to start

I have a Dell laptop N5030 that had several viruses so I decided to use the partition to get it back to factory. When I press the F8 key I get a message that windows failed to start . A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. I was able to get into windows even though it was slow. I used the Dell utility and formatted the HD and got it back to the day I bought it. I was able to get all the updates and windows runs great except one thing. The F8 key still tells me the same thing when I tap on it when booting. I click on repair and thats when I get the message about windows failed to start. Status 0X000000E The boot selector failed because a required device is inaccessible. Everything else works great, I can click safe mode and it works, only when I click repair my computer is when I get the message. I would think that part would need to work in case I ever needed to repair system files. I have a windows 7 disk from another computer and I booted with it and used the repair and it goes though the motion of repairing but does not fix the problem. I used the windows 7 disk about three times and same thing. I have another computer just like this one and the F8 option on it works. I know something in the boot area has got to be corrupted to cause this but what? I can see the partition when I go to computer management so I know the partition is there. It just will not work using the F8 and I never get prompted to use the image I made when I first bought the PC. Like I said I was able to format the drive using the Dell backup software but I know its suppose to work when I tap F8 on boot up. I also changed the setting in the BIOS so I could test the HD using a seagate boot disk. I run the short and long test and all good. I could not use the seagate boot disk until I changed the setting in BIOS to IDE. I set it back after I run the test to SATA so I just about know the hard drive is good. I also run the dell utility and all hardware tested good. HELP/

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 29th, 2013 21:00

Hi tdark,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).

3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the hardware Diagnostics.

4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

214 Posts

July 29th, 2013 22:00

I have already run these tests and no errors shown. The computer works perfect but when I click F8 and then  on the Advanced Boot Options screen, I use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. Thats when I  get the message about windows failed to start. Status 0X000000E The boot selector failed because a required device is inaccessible. Safe mode and all the other things on that screen work fine, just not the repair your computer. Like I mentioned I even tested the hard drive with a seagate boot disk with short and long test and all good. Its no big deal because the computer works like a dream but I may one day need this option and I would like for it to work. Thanks. Tom

214 Posts

July 31st, 2013 07:00

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi tdark,

Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address. So that I can check what can be done. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

214 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 07:00

I did as you said and will wait for what to do  next. I hope I did this correct. Thanks Ravi Ch

No Events found!