Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2013 07:00

Windows starting screen and then black screen when welcome screen is meant to start

Hi to all

I have a dell XPS L701X laptop.

Having a bit of bad luck with it.

Start with the kids busted the screen.. - had that replaced.

Then the main HDD went in it .. - had that replaced.

Now after a few days when ever i start windows the starting windows screen comes up.

Then when the welcome screen is meant to come up i just get a black screen.

I booted in safe mode and removed the graphic driver and set it to a standard VGA adapter. -- works can use laptop

Install thew latest Nividia Graphics drivers for the GT445M ver 320.49 boots and black screen again.

I booted in safe mode and removed the graphic driver and set it to a standard VGA adapter. -- works can use laptop

Downloaded a older version of the Graphic driver ver 310.07 from Nividia get same problem.

Read around other forums and been told the video card that's built into the main board is FUBAR!!!!!

This means now i will need to replace the mother board.......

Has anyone else had this problem and knows a fix to it as there are no settings in the bios for the video card and in the settings on the video card in resources are locked out and there are no settings within windows 7 to change settings.

Laptop Dell XPS L701X series

Intel I7 1.73GHZ

Ram 12gig

Video GT445M

OS Win 7 Pro 64bit

August 7th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the advice Allan D.

I am currently downloading the beta driver will let you know how it goes.

2.6K Posts

Hello PaintedSnow,

Sorry about the situation. Electronic devices are prone to failures hence we have warrantied the system in order to support it. It's unfortunate that you had to replace multiple parts of the system and now you are facing another issue. In order to assist you, I would like to know if you have tried the installing the video drivers available in Dell Support Site. If not, please try the following steps:

• Open Device Manager (Start -- Control Panel -- Device Manager).
  • Expand the tab for Display Adapters and right click the nVidia GeForce GT 445M.
  • From the drop down menu, select “Uninstall”.
  • Ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download and install the latest drivers for the video card from here.
  • Restart the computer and check the functionality.

In case the issue persists, uninstall the nVidia drivers as per the above mentioned steps and install the 326.41 - BETA version from the nVidia site.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

since my last post i have installed a fresh copy of windows 7 pro and installed all the drivers from the dell site one by one. once i get to the video driver and restart the laptop i get the black screen issue again.

August 7th, 2013 09:00

Ok....... 8(

Here is the run down been through Allan D's answer tried the dell and beta drivers all still give the same black screen.

Looks like I am now going to need to replace the mother board........

Dammm... this laptop has cost me more in repairs since the warranty ran out than what it was worth new. Fix one problem and the next part craps out.

2.6K Posts

August 8th, 2013 09:00

Hello PaintedSnow,

Please try updating the BIOS to the latest version and check how it goes. 

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

Hope this helps!

No Events found!