Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

102 Posts

July 30th, 2008 13:00

Wish I bought a Macbook Pro

Had I known that Dell is going to start playing hide-and-seek with the XP drivers for the XPS family I would have gone for a Macbook Pro instead.

I'm not very happy writing this realization because I own Dell stock, in addition to my XPS M1530.

These forums used to be a great channel with lots of participation from official Dell support persons, now drivers are being hidden and no support personnel is seen. If this is the new great Dell with "increased listening to customers" that Michael Dell was talking about just a few days ago, I say it's a colossal failure.

I wonder if Mr Dell really has a grip about what's going on here in supportland, most probably not. So let him be all cutey with "throwing sheep" and dreaming about selling more Dell hardware, when the real end user experience is everything but happy and cute.

I wouldn't want to risk buying Dell servers, who knows when they're going to start cute "hide the drivers" games with them, too. Support, Dell style.

81 Posts

August 1st, 2008 11:00

It's really simple.  Dell and every other manufacturer will not support configurations that they do not sell.  No other computer manufacturer will provide drivers for XP on a computer that came with Vista either.  It was the same thing when XP came out and it will continue to be the same thing when the next version of Windows comes out.  Think about what you're saying, too.  The people that create the third party drivers generally do so for their own use and then release to the general public.  I really don't think they'd go to the trouble of putting in malicious code just to mess with people.  They're good-intentioned programming geniuses who are just trying to give you the benefit of their hard work.

So you can continue to throw a tantrum and insult everyone who posts here, or you can use third party drivers like the rest of people that install XP on their XPS systems.  Either way, Dell still won't give you XP drivers, nor should they have to, because it's not supported.

81 Posts

August 1st, 2008 14:00

Ok, well, it's been nice getting insulted by you, but I'm 100% positive it won't make any drivers appear.  Back to my fantasy world, then.  Continue to ignore the many people that use 3rd party drivers for their 1330s and 1530s.

102 Posts

August 1st, 2008 14:00

I always thought attitude like that was reserved for Soviet Block government bureaucrats but nice to see it alive and well here on Dell forums.

Besides there's so much wrong in your post it defies replying. Obviously you do believe that Dell writes device drivers themselves, or that 3rd parties (outside of Dell and the component manufacturer) write device drivers. Well go on with your fantasy, however you won't find any of those fantasy drivers in the XP driver packs for Dell XPS M series computers.

26 Posts

August 18th, 2008 21:00

Just checking in and noticed one of the last lines from this guy.

Goodbuy DELL-IMPOSED OPERATING SYSTEM LOCK-IN.

Yeeeah... Dell makes windows with microsoft and makes money by imposing operating systems. I am friends with some mac users and would be happy to prevent this guy from making them miserable.

274 Posts

August 18th, 2008 23:00

What the heck!! i want Windows 95 on my M1730 but can't find drivers on Dell's site for it!!
No Events found!