Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2004 22:00

XP logon screen freezes after BIOS upgrade!! Help

Just upgraded my 5150 BIOS from the Phoenix A01 to Dell A23.  Everything seemed to go ok but when computer rebooted, the logon screen froze (no keyboard or mousepad response).  Tried booting into Safe mode and Safe command prompt mode to no avail.

I understand now that I can't go back the the Phoenix BIOS!!!  Does Dell tell you this on there downloads page.  If they did, I missed it.

Interestingly if I am quick on the keyboard, I can type my password and system starts to log me on but freezes before my desktop is displayed.

I am running XP with SP2.

I hope someone can help;  I really don't want to have to reload my system!

Thanks

Bill

7.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2004 22:00

Have you tried to restore to a known good point?  Or if that can't be done boot to the XP cd and do a repair?

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2004 13:00

Well

Last night I tried once again to log into XP before login screen froze.  The fisrt try, it got as far as the desktop icons appearing and then froze.  The second try went a little further and (surprise, surprise) an XP info balloon appears saying New Hardware found: "Intel (R) 82801DBM LPC Interface Controller - 24CC"

Here is a description  of this part of the I/O controller:

"Low pin count interface

The ICH4 implements an LPC Interface as described in the LPC 1.0 specification. The Low Pin Count (LPC) Bridge function of the ICH4 resides in PCI Device 31:Function 0. In addition to the LPC bridge interface function, D31:F0 contains other functional units including DMA, Interrupt Controllers, Timers, Power Management, System Management, GPIO, and RTC.
Note that in the current chipset platform, the Super I/O (SIO) component has migrated to the Low Pin Count (LPC) interface. Migration to the LPC interface allows for lower cost Super I/O designs"

I have no idea why this was found as new hardware, but after one more reboot, everything seems to be working fine.   The only other difference I see is that now the Synaptics intro screen pops up on login.  I did have a Kensington wireless mouse running whose driver replaced the synaptics (I think).  Now the Kensinton driver is nowhere to be found.  Maybe this was part of the problem?  Anyway things appear to be working fine now and dynamic speed switching is back (yay!); but I would like to hear from anyone that may know more about what may have happened.  I have my wife's 5150 yet to do on the BIOS upgrade.

Thanks

Bill

7.3K Posts

September 24th, 2004 00:00

Have you ever done a clean install on this notebook and if so did you load the chipset driver from Dell?  If not, at the top of this page go to Product Support - Downloads.

September 24th, 2004 20:00

flashing/upgrading the bios is always a safe bet but its advisiable not to upgrade the bios till u r having any issue with the system... you can try to restore setup defaults(BIOS) on your system, browse the link below for steps

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1035265

and also PLEASE restore xp and remove service pack 2 from your system... you will be much better without it. steps to restore xp

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1035265

3 Posts

September 24th, 2004 21:00

Why should I restore to XP SP1??  I want the security benefits of SP2 and so far system is working fine.

Bill

4.4K Posts

September 24th, 2004 22:00

Unless you are having problems, I would not recommend uninstalling SP2. 

1 Message

October 4th, 2004 23:00

I also upgraded my 5150 BIOS from the Phoenix (A06) to Dell A23.

Now widows (sp1) hangs at the login. I'm still waiting for dell to get back to me. I've tried everything that I could think of, and now the steps that cotham describe, with no luck.

I looked thru http://www.bay-wolf.com/ site and found the answer to another question, the change in the way the power indicator is used with A23. That is an excellent site, Thanks Bay Wolf!

It seems to me Dell could be a lot more desrciptive with the readme files included with the bios updates. I had to search for several minutes to find out why ver A36 would not update ver A06!

7.3K Posts

October 5th, 2004 01:00

@RFguy wrote:

I had to search for several minutes to find out why ver A36 would not update ver A06!

Yeah, that still aggravates me Dell doesn't put a warning on the D-Series notebook BIOS download pages that you need to use A22 or A23 (model dependant) going from the Phoenix to Dell BIOSes.  Some models are up to A37 already and still no notice to that effect.
No Events found!