Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 13th, 2013 17:00

XPS 12 9Q33 USB Problems

I've had this machine for about a month and have had a USB port/driver/who knows problems since. Had this problem with both Windows 8 & 8.1. First off, all drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. There is one driver that consistently appears on the Dell's driver/download screen, Intel Lynx Point Chipset Driver. No matter how many times I download and install it, it still pops up as a recommended driver.

For the problem: All of my USB drives whether it be a thumb drive or a portable, have never had any problems when connected to my desktop. However, I consistently have them drop when connected to the XPS. The portables drop the most. This happens no matter what I try to do whether it be accessing files, listening to music, watching vids, or copying from one USB drive to another. I currently plug the drives into a USB hub as the drops happen more often when they are directly connected to either of the two USB ports. No clue why that is. Maybe it's just luck. I ran diagnostics from the Dell site without errors so no clue what the problem could be.

30 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 11:00

Still need help with this. Thanks

December 17th, 2013 16:00

Just like to say I'm having the same/similar problem.

This is a brand new XPS 12, not even a week old. It came with Windows 8.1 and all the latest drivers pre-installed yet the USB ports are inconsistent to say the least. They seem to just simply turn off, sometimes one or the other and sometimes both, and only a reboot fixes it.

I don't use USB devices often but it's very frustrating when I do.

December 25th, 2013 11:00

I'm having issues with this too. I got my Dell XPS 12 9Q33 in July, and brand new out of the box it was defective--one of the nubs caught as I flipped it. Anyways, both it AND the replacement had issues with the USB ports, specifically when I was trying to back it up with a external hard drive, which used USB 3--the 1 terabyte WD mypassport. Very frustrating indeed. Makes me not want to buy dell in the future, that's for sure....

30 Posts

December 25th, 2013 13:00

Yea, I gave up on trying to solve this issue. As long as I'm not trying to do a huge data transfer, it works fine. I still get drives dropped but a minor inconvenience. I've placed three support tickets since receiving this in Oct and have yet to receive one response. This is definitely my last Dell. Support was the killer. I'll go Chinese if I purchase another laptop down the road. Now, I know why everything is made in China. So, Lenovo is probably the ticket as China is trying to put the US under. So their support is probably outstanding. 

30 Posts

January 7th, 2014 09:00

Still no response from Dell on this. It could be that they are too busy spamming with spam mail to answer tech support tickets. But through some testing of sorts, I've determined that the USB ports do not and will not provide enough power to run multiple devices. I bought a new laptop cooler with a built in USB hub. I ran into the same problems as before when trying to copy or move a large amount of data. The cool also has a power adapter port. After applying additional power to the USB hub, all went well. I was able to copy almost a 100GB of data from one USB portable to another without any problems. So, expecting power hungry portables even those with just one USB connect, isn't going to work long if you have multiples plugged into the USB ports or a USB hub without additional power. I couldn't even plug one portable in one USB port and a second in the other without one dropping. So, that's the only solution that I've been able to find to resolve this.

Thanks Dell, I did the work for you. So you can delete or continue to ignore my support ticket from Oct.

January 19th, 2014 15:00

I've just had a service tech out who replaced the motherboard and at first glance it seems to have made a difference. I plugged in various devices into both ports and they were all powered and recognised.

Of course the issue also tended to crop up with extended use so I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good.

February 15th, 2014 00:00

starting to look at this issue again, and it may just be a USB 3.0 powered thing. Looking around on WD forums, found this post, which may be useful.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/WD-Elements-2TB-disconnects-Error-0x80070037-when-using-USB-3-0/m-p/579114/highlight/true#M15655

February 15th, 2014 12:00

Yeah,  I agree.  You said that you had your motherboard replaced, and you are still having this problem? Maybe the xps's USB ports just don't output enough current for those devices,  period. I was looking for specs on exactly how much power the ports put out, but couldn't find the info

30 Posts

February 15th, 2014 12:00

Well, the problem with with your response for me is that this isn't limited to just portable such as WD & Seagates. I have two mSata enclosures with obviously mSata drives in them. If I connect both of them to my XPS12, one will be read and the other pops in and out. Mostly out. If I connect a mSata encloser and my DVD portable, one doesn't get read. Now the remedy to this point is to have a powered USB hub, which my laptop cooler is but I'm not seeing why I need to ahve one of these just to successfully connect two USB devices.

February 21st, 2014 02:00

This do-hickey I think will clear up the mystery here:

http://www.amazon.com/Centech-USB-Power-Meter/dp/B00DAR4ITE

I also think the problem may be with the hard drive itself. I just got a new western digital 2tb  usb 3.0 hard drive, and teh files are transferring fine. If your hard drive was/ is still giving your trouble, I would exchange it for a new one if its still under warranty.

30 Posts

February 21st, 2014 03:00

Nothing wrong with my drives. I've had the portable HHDs longer than my XPS and the mSATA and DVD work just fine connected to my desktop.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2014 02:00

I found that going into the control panel, to the Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and to each Generic USB Hub & USB Root Hub, and changing the properties of them.  In each, go to the Power Management tab, and deselect the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Plugged in my USB drive that hadn't worked on my laptop in ages, and it worked straight away, then I copied 2gb of data to it without a single drop out.

Hope this helps some of you.

No Events found!