Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 20th, 2013 09:00

XPS 12 - Trackpad & mouse issue

Hi, all -

Loving my XPS 12 (Win 8), but an issue has arisen that has me flummoxed.  From time to time, after the cover has been closed, neither the mouse or the trackpad will reflect the arrow.  Oddly, both with respond to movement (for example, I can scan across open tabs in my browser) but I cannot position the cursor anywhere - can't see the cursor, or the arrow. 

The only fix I've found is to restart the computer, a pain if a number of things are open and one can't easily close them. 

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?  Please keep it simple - I'm not a techie.  I'm up-to-date on Dell drivers (including Cypress).  Remember, this is happening identically to both my mouse (Logitech wireless) and the trackpad. 

Thanks for any help offered 

2 Posts

March 31st, 2013 20:00

Mine's a bit different; I plugged in a Sony PS3 controller to charge it.   Later, closed the lid;  on resume, no pointer.  Plugged in a mouse, then a pointer, but no trackpad. I uninstalled the Cypress driver (3/21/13?) and restarted; all was well.  Re-installed the driver, no pointer.  Uninstalled, all is well.  In my case, I assume it has to do with the PS3 controller, but who knows.  Also, I dual boot to Ubuntu, and that still worked as well as it ever has with the trackpad...

2 Posts

March 31st, 2013 20:00

Ok, I plugged the PS3 controller and went to device manager and uninstalled the PS3 controller driver; re-installed the latest Cypress drivers, and all is well again.. no more charging PS3 controllers for a bit!

2 Posts

October 29th, 2013 08:00

Has a solution ever been found to this issue? I am experiencing the exact problem and I only got my new laptop one week ago. 

3 Posts

October 31st, 2013 19:00

I'm not sure there's a solution - but my work-around was to disable mouse trailers. 

November 11th, 2013 11:00

I have a similar issue on an October 2013 machine (9Q33). Windows 8.0. (I had to roll back from 8.1 as all the apps failed to work)

The trackpad reverts to default behaviour after sleep, restart, use of another mouse etc.

When this happens the trackpad setup icon also disappears from the system tray (I have it set to be present).

It is very annoying as I did not buy an XPS 12 a year ago due to these problems. You'd think they would have been fixed by now.

My Dell diagnostics say I have all the latest drivers.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2014 21:00

its 9/21/2014 and i still cant get my trackpad to resume from sleep. This is not good. I just bought this a few weeks ago. 

September 22nd, 2014 23:00

Istaly: I still have that problem. I am on Win 8.0 (after two failed attempts to upgrade which cost me a day to backtrack each time after endless crashes with 8.1). I presume with a new machine you are on 8.1 but I think is some kind of driver problem.

My solution is:

1. Don't go to sleep!  With the speed of boot from SSD I shut down much more frequently - one of the reasons I bought it after too many hours of waiting for Windows to boot.

2. Put the trackpad driver in the system tray. I have found that if it disappears I know I will have trouble, so I boot again.

I agree that this is a pretty poor show but with these workarounds I don't think much about it now.

Best wishes

Jeremy

No Events found!