Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

November 18th, 2008 16:00

XPS 1210 powers up but wont boot

Hi, new here.  Did a search could not find anything I could grasp or use so I am trying a post.

Running XP pro... here are the symptoms.

Saturday while surfing the web, get a blank white screen with a little garbled up I'll call noise on the top of the screen.  Reboot all is well.

Sunday pm, watching a dvd on the xps, screen froze.  Laptop completely unresponsive so i do a hard reboot.  Laptop freezes after i hear the dvd click (like the system is checking for it) and then it hangs.  Reboot again, this time it boots up, nothing unusual then.

Do a few things and leave the laptop running.  I fall asleep so does the laptop.

Monday after work l go to wake the laptop and it does not respond.  Reboot and it hangs.

Open up pretty much everything to reseat the ram.  nice and tight looks clean.

I pulled the hard drive and its a SATA (!) so I think ok I will attach it to my desktop (SATA) and the pc reads all the data on the hard drive.  Disconnect the master drive to see if i can boot up the pc from the laptop drive. 

Blue screen of death basically says virus found windows shut down to prevent damage etc.  Stop code is 0x0000007B.

Reconnect master drive and virus scan the laptop drive with avast.  it finds a couple things, the most serious was a trojan in the page file.  it cant be repaired so i try to quarentine it, not enough space error so i check online and decide its ok to delete as i figure it will recreate itself.

Recheck to see if i can boot pc with laptop drive.  Same blue screen.

Reinstall drive into laptop, power up, hangs, doesnt even get to blue screen.

Out of warrenty so i think i will see if anyone here can advise something to try.

Unfortunately I cannot locate the created reinstall cd (Im actually not even sure it was made, its been a few years).

I await your sage advice.

1.6K Posts

November 18th, 2008 18:00

It's almost certainly a failed video chip, which on  this model means a replacement mainboard.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2008 16:00

thank you for your reply.  I am leaning towards believing that as i have found several webpages that seem to support this theory.  Where can you find a mainboard for a 1210?

1 Message

November 22nd, 2008 12:00

I'd love to know if you find one, because I have suffered the same fate.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2008 06:00

I have the same problem. I had my primary cooling fan die and went through a few overheats before realizing what the problem was. I replaced the fan and the M1210 worked fine for about a week. Then with no warning, the laptop ceased to function. The power comes on and after a few moments you can see that the screen is powered on due to the faint glow, but nothing else happens.

I guess the mainboards for the M1210 are hard to find? If I find a source I'll post it here. But it may be cheaper and less hassle to just buy a new laptop...

2 Posts

December 11th, 2008 18:00

I have a similar problem.  LCD doesn't go on, but when I hook up to external monitor keeps trying to do system restore and nothing seems to work.  First I was told it was an LCD problem, $300, I purchased one, had it installed, was told it was dead on arrival, ordered another one, another $270+. Then when the Dell installation guy came, called tech support with him and they determined I needed another motherboard.  Called sales and was told none available...they would get back to me in 24 hours.  That was 3 days ago.  Oh, by the way, I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with tech support, customer care, out of warranty dept, xps dept trying to arrange an exchange for the first d.o.a. LCD.  Horrible customer service for what's supposed to be their top of the line products.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2008 05:00

I laugh every time I see the latest Dell commercial, where they talk about their wondeful customer service, because the reality is so far from wonderful. I won't be buying a Dell ever again.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2008 09:00

Motherboard for xps m1210

Motherboard repair also

http://product.pelltechnology.com/Dell_XPS_M1210_Motherboard_Replacement.asp

13 Posts

April 1st, 2009 16:00

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx? try this..

Though m1210 is not listed.. 87 minutes of argument with xps tech support resulted in a favorable outcome.

They are sending a box to me. My warranty ended on march 10th.

No Events found!