Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2015 09:00

XPS 13 2015 Poor WiFi Signal.

I just purchased this laptop yesterday and I'm unsure why I'm receiving such terrible signals and receiving poor signal at my girlfriend's house as well. I'm getting two - three bars on my home network that is one room away from me.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 20:00

I rolled back driver to version 6.30.223.227 and it works perfectly now. 

Go to Device Manager --> Network adapters --> Dell 1560 802.11ac --> Driver --> Roll Back Driver

It seems to work by now...

13 Posts

October 13th, 2015 04:00

I spent 4 hours with Dell support technician trying to clean this up.

For my XPS 13 9343 Laptop

This is for connecting to router Type Protocol: 802.11n
according to Dell Library this 1560 802.11ac card is optimized for newer ac communication protocol and is troublesome with legacy routers.

Modem Manufacturer:        Broadcom 
Description:        Dell Wireless 1560 802.11ac

I finally had success with driver file  9343_Network_Driver_VD6F9_WN32_7.35.267.0_A00 (alternate option on driver selection page).

With this driver the connection success was similar to other devices I have around me - Motorola phone. iPhone 6, HP Envy Laptop, iPAD2

With the suggested driver 9343_Network_Driver_87YFN_WN32_7.35.295.0_A01.EXE the laptop needs to be about 3m/10ft from the router to even connect. Then it would often disconnect and stop working at all. Requiring to "diagnose" or troubleshoot to reset the adapter.

The file:

9343_Network_Driver_VD6F9_WN32_7.35.267.0_A00

Is reported as Driver version 7.35.267.0

I believe this should be used in preference to suggested rollback driver  6.30.223.227

Why Dell maintains a defective driver as "recommended" without warning is frustrating.
I imagine for a new router with ac protocol it is very high speed and good driver but as 90% of home networks are on older routers it really hurts to have to goto such pain to investigate and to get the machine to work at all.

I have been using this 7.35.267.0 for 2 days now in location with very weak WIFI and it is so far hanging in and working as well as any other network device.

Don't worry about the bars they are not a great indicator.

I used WIFI monitor XIRRUS Wi-Fi inspector.
With 7.35.295.0 driver the WIFI would not connect until signal strength was stronger than about -68dB (about 50%)

With 7.35.267.0 driver the WIFI will connect and be stable as low as -85dbB (32%)

10 Posts

November 11th, 2015 13:00

I seem to have fixed the problem at last using the suggested solution to downgrade to the 6.x driver (before it was disconnecting every few seconds and now it's been holding a super weak signal for a while without disconnecting once).

Paradoxically I found the Broadcom driver available on the Lenovo site (it has been removed from the Dell site as per posts in other threads which lead me to this thread) - here a link for anyone still trying to play IT Technician on Dell's behalf:

support.lenovo.com/.../ds103679

May 24th, 2016 03:00

I tried numerous fixes for this problem, none resolved the problem.  I could not return the laptop and could not spend any more time investigating solutions.  

In the end I used a simple but effective workaround.  I purchased a wifi extender (A$90) and place it within 5 metres of where I am working when at home/work.  When out I  tether to my phone for internet connection.

It is disappointing that Dell has not delivered a proper solution.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 5th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

I’d suggest that you to change the Advanced card properties of the wireless card and check for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.
  2. When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Network adapter’.
  3. Please click on the arrow mark beside ‘Network adapter’.
  4. You will find the wireless network card available on your computer.
  5. Right click on Wireless card and select ‘Properties’.
  6. Next click on ‘Advanced tab’.
  7. Change Roaming Aggressiveness to maximum.
  8. Change the wireless channels in the ‘advanced card properties’ to 11 or 6 and Disable Bluetooth Collaboration.

Also, reply us with the Wireless card configured on your system. 

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2015 12:00

cannot find the wireless channels. doesnt seem fixed with the other options.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2015 12:00

dell wireless 1560 802.11ac

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 10th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and then uninstall and reinstall the Wireless card Bluetooth driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS and then download the BIOS from BIOS section and then wireless card driver from Network section onto the Desktop screen.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the wireless card.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  3. Select the wireless card and Bluetooth device under Network Adapter and right click on it
  4. Now select properties.
  5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system and install the drivers by using the file downloaded on the desktop screen.

5 Posts

June 21st, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem with my xps13 2015 , when i move it just 15feet from router(another room same floor but  one wall behind) signal drops to  2-3 bars. This is 2.4Ghz wifi. To get 5ghz i need to sit within 6feet. at 15feet 5ghz is either not visible or just 1 bar.

My connection speed is 50mbps and i get 48 if i sit very close to routerat 15-20feet

and at 2-3bars on laptop it shows only 5-10mbps

I already upgraded the router from dir 600m to dlink dual band ac router Dir 816 without any improvements

also tried a cisco linksys router ea4500 but no improvement in range

Already did the bios update suggested above and installed the snew wireless driver ,and made the roam tendency to aggressive and disabled bluetooth collabaration. still i dont see an option to set wireless channels though. The router is set to channel 11

I have scanned with a wifi analyser software there is no other 5ghz operating nearby or there is any other strong 2.4ghz as well

same location my 4 year old lenovo x220t has full signal and shows 35-40mbps

2 Posts

June 30th, 2015 16:00

I'm experiencing the same problem with my XPS 13... I have three other Dell computers that all get full signal from the same location. My XPS 13 gets 1-2 bars... What's weird is that if I raise my laptop off my lap by 1-2 feet I get 3-4 bars, what the *** is going on? I've also tried all of the above suggestions but no change.

1 Message

June 30th, 2015 17:00

I have a slightly older 2yeras dell XPS and have always had poor reception and doing the lap lift to get a signal is tedious but at least it works. I have tried all the other options. the next is the replacement of the card

3 Posts

August 6th, 2015 18:00

I've got the same Problem.  I just this brand new laptop from the Microsoft store.  It's insane that my 8 year old laptop has better connection range and doesn't have low signal two rooms away and doesn't disconnect all the time like this new Dell XPS 13 does.  My phone is way better as well.

I upgraded all the Dell upgrades available including the Bios and chipsets.

I updated the DW1560 Wireless Adapter to the latest one available: 6.30.223.262

I tried all those settings mentioned above with the advanced properties and with the power management.

Same issue still...what the *** is going on?

You figure it out yet?

Do I need to have a new card installed?

3 Posts

August 6th, 2015 18:00

I've got the same Problem.  I just this brand new laptop from the Microsoft store.  It's insane that my 8 year old laptop has better connection range and doesn't have low signal two rooms away and doesn't disconnect all the time like this new Dell XPS 13 does.  My phone is way better as well.

I upgraded all the Dell upgrades available including the Bios and chipsets.

I updated the DW1560 Wireless Adapter to the latest one available: 6.30.223.262

I tried all those settings mentioned above with the advanced properties and with the power management.

Same issue still...what the *** is going on?

You figure it out yet?

2 Posts

August 11th, 2015 13:00

I'm at the point where the next step to check is if the antenna is connected and routed properly. Waiting for a T5 torx in the mail before I can open it up and see. If that all looks fine, probably replacement of the card is next. 

6 Posts

August 31st, 2015 09:00

Hello, 

I am having the same problem with my 2015 XPS, and I've seen this advice both here and on other forums but the options you cite in #7,8 aren't available on the properties menu. Can someone from Dell please give an answer that is actually applicable? I am beginning to worry that the wireless card in this laptop is simply very shity.

FYI this is what the advanced tab of wireless card properties looks like:

No Events found!