Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2017 11:00

XPS 13 , 2017 OVERHEATING!

I Just bought a 2017 XPS 13 ; Touchscreen Model ; i7 Processor with 16 GB of RAM 

and this *** machine is a toaster! 

Its just out of the box with windows 10 Pre Installed and its heating with or without the power plugged in. 

It  is getting hot to the point where I cannot use it anymore ( At the Table or in my lap ) 

Also on a full charge the battery capacity is reflecting as 3 hours and 30 minutes only. 

Is it normal? 
How do I fix this? I have done the BIOS update , System Firmware Upgrade etc. and everything is up to date. Tried reinstalling windows and also tried with the power saver mode but issue still persists. 

What to do?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 29th, 2017 14:00

You don't mention which XPS 13 you have but my 9365 gets warm when something is working.  Anti-virus scans, system maintenance and others will heat the system even when you are not using it.

My system will get to 112 °F near the back and mostly on the left side.

1 Message

June 28th, 2017 17:00

Same issue. Just arrived today a new XPS 13. Not touchscreen. Doing nothing and the fan goes crazy. This cannot be right.

At this moment just creating a recovery disk: CPU is at 35% and Disk usage at 5%. No network usage. After about 10 minutes on it the fan is very noise.

A top of the line laptop cannot be working like that. It have to be something wrong.

1 Message

July 20th, 2017 13:00

I have the EXACT same issue with my XPS 13 2 in 1 (9365).  I paid a lot of money for this laptop and it has been reaching temperatures of 91 degrees Celsius.  That's 195.8 degrees Fahrenheit which makes the laptop dangerous to say the least.  Furthermore, running a computer at those temps will kill the processor eventually.

I have an open ticket with Dell.  We did all of the initial troubleshooting over the phone... updated the drivers and BIOS.  After exhausting all of those options, they ordered me a new motherboard (chipset is on the motherboard) as that is what is overheating (back left side as noted).  

New motherboard was installed and same issues.  They deemed that the new motherboard must have been DOA so they ordered me another.  Tech came out today, put the brand new motherboard in and the computer wouldn't recognize my power adapter.  Another DOA board.  After 2 hours on the phone with support, another motherboard is on it's way and I've requested a replacement computer be shipped to me.  Of course, that will be a refirb unit but at least (theoretically), I should be able to swap the hard drive in the units and keep all of my data and software in tact with hope that the refirb unit won't run hot.

Bottom line, this appears to be a manufacturing and design defect in my opinion.  There is NO physical fan or venting on this computer which means that the only way to dissipate heat is through the case.  The entire point of having a smaller 2 in 1 machine is to be able to use this device in your hands as a tablet from time to time.  If I end up getting burns on my hands using the device, then there is something drastically wrong with it.

If I do end up with a replacement unit and it has the same issues, then I'm going to see what Dell will do for me to get an entirely different computer.  If they won't cooperate, then I'll go to my credit card company and start a dispute / warranty with them to get it replaced.  

All of this is ridiculous to be honest.  The computer is great when it's not 195 degrees!  They need to figure this out and figure it out quickly.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 20th, 2017 18:00

Bottom line, this appears to be a manufacturing and design defect in my opinion.

I suppose my system is not overheating, it cannot be a design flaw although it could be a production flaw.

The original poster never came back so I do not know which XPS 13 he had.  But the question I would ask you is where are you getting the temp readings?

As I mentioned, my system gets hot on the bottom, usually from the center to left side near the back.  It is not hot is the process or is not running at high speeds or high utilization...

Since you have changed the motherboard multiple times, possibly the case heatsink is not operating correctly..  Since the bottom seems to be the heatsink, make sure it is elevated slightly from any surface.

No Events found!