Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2017 00:00

XPS 13 2IN1 9365 Thunderbolt 3 Issue

I just bought a new XPS 13 2IN1 9365 laptop. I have a Thunderbolt 3 external graphic card. I connect the XPS to the external graphic card via its Thunderbolt port. But the XPS's thunderbolt is not working. It cannot find the external display card. I called for technical service and the technical guy has changed the BIOS and even the whole main board. But the issue still cannot be fixed. Its thunderbolt port still cannot find the external display card when the card is plugged in. Is it Hardware or BIOS issue? Anyone can help?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 25th, 2017 09:00

The system has Thunderbolt firmware updates and a Thunderbolt controller driver.  I do not know if your system would need the firmware but did you install the controller driver?  If so, did it install OK?

Video might be involved with the Secure Boot situation.  Were the Thunderbolt boot settings enabled in the Bios?

I have a TB 16 dock through which I have connected a monitor and it seems to work OK.  Whether it is available for boot, I do not know.

Do you have a model for the external graphics card so perhaps I could understand how that connection is being made?

On another subject, is your system making any strange noises?

2 Posts

May 31st, 2017 01:00

The Thunderbolt firmware is the latest (version: 3.09.00.011) and I did install the Thunderbolt driver (Version: 16.2.55.275). Of course, I did enable the Thunderbolt setting in the BIOS. But with no luck, it can't work with my Thunderbolt 3 external graphic. I believe that the Thunderbolt Firmware of the laptop is too old. The version of 3.09.00.011 was released on 20 Feb, 2017. I think the Thunderbolt 3 External Graphic card is still not ready at that time. So Dell should update the Thunderbolt 3 firmware for sure. Could anyone from Dell provide a response here? Provide an updated Thunderbolt 3 firmware for testing!!

August 21st, 2017 02:00

Yeah, nah. I call ***. I have been using TBT3 eGPU for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 2017 (16GB RAM, i7-7Y75, 512GB SSD). Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box, but of course I sold the Nvidia card after testing it and then put the AMD R9 Nano inside. Both worked.

Using 16.3.61.275 driver - newer than Dell's version. But I did that for the sake of it. As far as I know it was not needed. downloadcenter.intel.com/.../NUCs-Thunderbolt-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC-Kits-NUC7-x-BN

If you are having issues then drop back to SL1 security in BIOS. Also make sure you uncheck the option to enforce PC certification, and override first in chain restriction.

No Events found!