Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2017 14:00

XPS 13 9333, new battery not recognized, not charging

Hi team!

while using the nice mashine I recognized that my touch-pad is starting to move up from the body of the laptop and in certan moment it already started to look strange and I decided to look inside of the hardware to understand what is going on there... I opened the laptop and found out that battery due to not clear for me reasons has become bigger and started to push the touchpad UP!!!... I decided that this is already dangerous and in some next charging it can burn out my environment, I disconnected and utilized the battery properly and ordered the new one from amazone. New Battery has come, there is no dell logo, I connected it to the laptop, switched the laptop on and in 15 second the laptop swithed off and didn't respond on any keys anymore.... I disconnected the battery, drain the rest power from the laptop by holding the power button and repet this again but at this time instead of booting to the system went to bios and reset it - it didn't help, after reboot the laptop again died :(. The same procedure gave me again 15 second for BIOS setting checkup, I see there AC power supply 45W, and on the second page on the bottom - "Not Supported Battery"... The status LED is showing me 2 points, but if the laptop dying after 15 sec, the status button not reacting anymore... I asked amazon for replacement and they sent me new battery, also without dell logo and I got the same behavior. Do I really have to buy original battery in order to have this laptop back running???? Why it doesn't work with compatible battery replacement?

thank you for your support in advance!

regards,

Andrew

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 13th, 2017 17:00

That's a question for the seller.  Some third party batteries will work -- others won't, but only the seller can support a third party battery.

9 Posts

September 14th, 2017 03:00

Hi ejn63,

thank you for your feedback,

what does it mean seller, seller of battery or saller of laptop? the battery has a lot of positive feedbacks and seems works for other users. Can it be BIOS related problem since I have there A02, while the latest A08.

And why the laptop is not working just from the Power supply? without battery it even not reacting on power button...

Thank you for your support in advance!

9 Posts

September 14th, 2017 03:00

i ejn63,

thank you for your feedback,

what does it mean seller, seller of battery or saller of laptop? the battery has a lot of positive feedbacks and seems works for other users. Can it be BIOS related problem since I have there A02, while the latest A08.

And why the laptop is not working just from the Power supply? without battery it even not reacting on power button...

Thank you for your support in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2017 05:00

You'll need to ask the battery seller.  If they assure you the battery should work, and it doesn't - and the system won't power with a recognized AC adapter alone -- the culprit is likely the power circuit, meaning the mainboard would need to be replaced.

9 Posts

September 14th, 2017 07:00

the battery seller has already replaced the battery and it again doesn't work, they state that it is already not their problem and relates to the laptop. Why do you think it is a circuit problem in MB while the laptop is booting up only when the battery is attached together with AC adapter? does someone know how many volts I should see on the contact to battery? with connected AC power supply and battery I see on the buttery connector 7.2 volt. The laptop was working fine till I recognized the problem with touchpad and disconnected original battery. I cannot tell whether it was working without battery and only with AC power-supply at that time, because I have not tested it and was waiting for the new battery.  

9 Posts

September 14th, 2017 08:00

ejn63, thank you for your support in that matter, I will try today evening again to play with different configurations. I only do not understand what logic there behind, why the system turns off the laptop after 15 seconds. Also maybe the battery is discharged and it cannot work with that properly. Do you know the power limit for charging the standard battery? I will set on my lab power supply the limit, thus will charge the battery and not destroy it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2017 08:00

The battery should be about 7.4 V when fully charged.

If the system won't power up on AC only, try another OEM Dell AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the issue, you have a bad power circuit and will need a mainboard replacement.

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 08:00

Hello,

I have already changed two batteries from different amazon vendors, non of them works. The battery works itself until it has power, but slowly discharging and then laptop goes off.

Should the laptop work only with attached power-supply or not? In BIOS it is recognized, but I see it only when the battery is attached, without battery the laptop doesn't react on any buttons. Can it be that the Power-supply is only providing the signal that is "present" but has no power to charge the battery?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 08:00

Sounds like you have a bad power circuit - the adapter and battery are both OK.  Replace the system board.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 11:00

It will - unless something else is wrong (and if it doesn't, the "something else" is usually a faulty system board).

9 Posts

thank you for your feedback, but you have not answered the question whether the laptop can work without battery - only with Power-supply?

9 Posts

ok, thank you for your feedback! buying a new MB is quite expensive, is there anywhere the circuit schematic available? I believe it is easy resolvable, but for this I need to see the electrical schema.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 12:00

No such schematic exists - no.  If you have the required test equipment (oscilloscope, etc.) you may be able to black-box it to a single component - but then again, you may find it's an LSI chip that's bad (which will be beyond repairing unless you have access to some very sophisticated soldering equipment).

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 13:00

thank you for your support in that matter, I will try to find what went wrong there. Will write here where I came out in the end.

No Events found!