Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 15:00

XPS 13 (9343) - Unable to upgrade to Windows 10 - Error 0xC1900101 0x30018

I have a brand new XPS 13, 9343 model with i7 processor and 512GB SSD. I am still within the 14 day cooling off period, and I'm now seriously considering returning it. I have never experienced such a load of nonsense trying to install any other piece of software.

So far, and after many attempts, I've been totally unable to upgrade to Windows 10. The very first thing I did was install all available Windows updates for 8.1 (there were 79 of them), and immediately after that I began the Win10 install saga. Nothing else has been done to the laptop - no dodgy software or USB devices (other than the boot USB where necessary). It is in a clean state.

- After downloading through Windows Update, the installation procedure is INCREDIBLY slow (eg it takes 36 HOURS to reach 42% completion - and at this point it hits the error message). What on earth can it be doing??

- I also tried creating a bootable USB through the media creation tool. If I boot from this USB drive and perform a "clean" install, this works perfectly - it takes about 8 minutes in total (which emphasises how ridiculous the 36 hours is). However, because it is a clean install and not an "upgrade", I end up with a non-activated version of Windows 10 and I get prompted to pay £99.99, which I have no intention of doing. I paid for the laptop on the understanding it would get a FREE upgrade to Win10!

- I have also tried using the USB (but not booting from it) to perform the in-place upgrade - this hits the same error as Windows Update does (and takes just as long)

- I have tried uninstalling all antivirus software and disabling all wireless/bluetooth devices before attempting the upgrade - none of this helps. Given that it takes me 36 HOURS per attempt, it's really not acceptable to try disabling random things in the vain hope it might work correctly.

When attempting the upgrade (i.e. not clean installation), I hit an error message "Windows Setup cannot configure Windows on your hardware" or similar. When resuming after the failure, the setup tool gives the error code 0xC1900101 0x30018, and says it failed in operation "FIRST_BOOT", phase SYSPREP. Just getting to this error message costs me 36 hours of waiting (welcome to the future!), so it would really help if someone could give a definite answer on what causes it...

Please help! Auuughhh

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 03:00

hello

if you mean change the SSD , is below model is compatible with del xps 13 9343 core i7 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147349

how i do move my 8.1 window to the new SSD.

thanks 

5.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 08:00

SECURE BOOT in the EUFI BIOS many times does not like hardware changes, and will not allow an OS installation or re-installation. This actually happened to me after adding a second drive to my I660. Go to the BIOS and disable Secure Boot and retry the installation. 

6 Posts

October 4th, 2015 01:00

Beebor,

indeed, what do u mean by 'swapping the SSD for another model" ?

Thanks

• 

351 Posts

October 5th, 2015 02:00

I must have missed this thread when I was posting about the Firmware update:

****UPDATE ON THE XPS 9343/SSD ISSUE****

I've been advised that there will be a Firmware update released this week that will resolve the Windows 10 upgrade problem seen on the XPS 9343 with the Hynix 512GB SSD.

At this point we won't be replacing any SSDs as the alternatives are out of stock and we don't foresee them being replenished before the Firmware update is released, so all I ask is that everyone waits until the Firmware is available, downloads it and if there are still problems to let me know.

If I've already arranged a dispatch for you and it is still awaiting the part; when the Firmware is released, download it and if the upgrade goes through fine, let me know and I'll stop the replacement being sent.

I'll post a link to the Firmware when it is released.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2015 04:00

Hi

I too have been having issues; Windows 10 loaded OK. BUT the OEM prodict code will NOT activate the O/S?.

This was a preloaded OEM Windows 8.1 which came ON the laptop. Both windows AND dell say it is Authorised.

Advises Please?

Pete

October 5th, 2015 06:00

Hello and good morning

Try this which came from Microsoft:

1) In a google search engine type:        getmediacreationtool

2) run

3) you will see:      create iso file for different PC

4) save it to desktop

5) click desktop shortcut

6) download iso file

For unknown reasons I only needed steps 1,2,and 3

When completed you will be automatically "activated" for FREE!

As I stated these instructions came from Microsoft.

However, eventually you will see "reset pc." if you reset then you can NEVER return to a lower version of Operating System. No more Vista, Win7, 8 or 8.1

Once downloaded in the Control Panel you will view Windows 8.1 recovery which you can use to revert to Win8.1

7 Posts

October 5th, 2015 12:00

Hi

Thanks for the info. However the issue is not that I cannot get into win10. and I do have an 8.1 recovery disk. AND a Full Backup image of win8.1. The problem centres around the fact that despite having a legitimate (dell supplied) OEM copy of 8.1. the Product code will NOT activate windows 10?.

Both Microsoft and Dell. say the computer can be updated. But apparently Not?

Pete

5.2K Posts

October 5th, 2015 14:00

Sorry, I misread your first post.

You can not do a clean install of Win 10 over Win 8.1. You would need a retail copy of Win 10 for this. You must do the upgrade and then reinstall for clean. You should NOT do the installation from a USB drive, but allow the Media Creation Tool to install on the hard drive and then do the upgrade instsllation and activate the install. Then the USB drive should work for the clean install. MS upgrades have always worked this way. The supposedly do not want people using cheap or free upgrades to be used on unqualified machines, although the double instsllation has been possible for a while; kind of an open secret.

I don't know if the Dell XPS 13/SSD problem is contributing to this.

7 Posts

October 7th, 2015 06:00

Thanks for that. I have the download files, But the potential "Hassle" of UN-installing and re-installing, is a Real Turn off. So I probably will give 10 a complete miss. I have a copy (Genuine) of Win 7 pro which I prefer anyway. so I guess that win10 will wait for the Next change of computer and see what comes Pre loaded!.

In That regard It`s Microsoft's Loss I suppose?

Pete

October 11th, 2015 05:00

So glad I found this thread as I'm have the exact same issues with my XPS13 (9343), I also have the 512GB SSD.

Tried the windows 10 upgrade countless times, and end up with the same error message every time.

PC spends almost 2 days copying files, then fails stating hardware configuration issues.  Installs super quick from a clean install, but prompts me to add a product key, which I dont have as I can get the upgrade to work.

Anyone have a solution to this yet?

October 12th, 2015 14:00

The Dell XPS 13 needs a firmware upgrade to its SSD before it can run Windows 10.

I am in the process of trying to do the firmware upgrade. However DELL sent me instructions that don't make sense to me, so I am awaiting their feedback to my questions.

This is my response to DELL, which shows what I have tried unsuccessfully so far:

The instructions you sent say I should use SKhynix_fw_update_tool_PC200.iso (I did not receive this). But the Appendix says I should use minimal_linux_live_14-Sep-2015_64-bit.iso. So I am not sure, what to use?

After using the minimal_linux_live_14-Sep-2015_64-bit.iso to create the USB bootable drive, which boots into Linux but can't run the firmwhare update, I decided to run unetbootin-windows-608 with SK_hynix_Firmware updater 20003B00 for Dell 1.0.0.0 - PCxxx. The laptop does boot into the UNetbootin shell. But there is only a 'Default' option that does nothing. It just seems to do an automatic reboot every 10 seconds.

Please can you provide me with accurate instructions on how to apply the firmware update?

October 12th, 2015 14:00

Here are the files DELL sent me:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B53Yu4aDAuaTQ0tNTmNIcjVySTA

I am not sure if you can access them. If so, you may have better luck than me.

7 Posts

October 13th, 2015 02:00

Hi

I am (was) attempting install to a 2014 Inspiron 3000 series. As far as I am Aware this should not need any Firmware upgrade?.

I have (for the moment) abandoned any idea of upgrading this particular Machine as the hassle of un-installing, re-installing the appalling win 8.1, and then going through the whole process twice just to get a "Free" upgrade is not attractive!.

What I have done is to install win10 on an older machine, over top of the existing win 7. to see if this win 10 is any improvement.

For the foreseeable future I will continue with win 7 here as from the brief experience  of using 10. it`s only a marginal difference from 7. Which is IMHO far more user friendly. especially as I have no desire for a Touch screen Laptop.

My wife has an (older) Dell laptop, which runs win7(64) too. and to be fair she is happy with what it does. My outlook is "If it a`nt broke why fix it"?.

Pete

• 

351 Posts

The Dell XPS 13 needs a firmware upgrade to its SSD before it can run Windows 10.

I am in the process of trying to do the firmware upgrade. However DELL sent me instructions that don't make sense to me, so I am awaiting their feedback to my questions.

This is my response to DELL, which shows what I have tried unsuccessfully so far:

The instructions you sent say I should use SKhynix_fw_update_tool_PC200.iso (I did not receive this). But the Appendix says I should use minimal_linux_live_14-Sep-2015_64-bit.iso. So I am not sure, what to use?

After using the minimal_linux_live_14-Sep-2015_64-bit.iso to create the USB bootable drive, which boots into Linux but can't run the firmwhare update, I decided to run unetbootin-windows-608 with SK_hynix_Firmware updater 20003B00 for Dell 1.0.0.0 - PCxxx. The laptop does boot into the UNetbootin shell. But there is only a 'Default' option that does nothing. It just seems to do an automatic reboot every 10 seconds.

Please can you provide me with accurate instructions on how to apply the firmware update?

I've PM'd you 

Are you upgrading from windows 8.1? Sound like you might have been sent the linux version by mistake.

I was sent the exe file yesterday, installed the firmware update by double clicking the exe, selected my drive, and clicked upgrade, and restarted my machine, windows 10 then installed successfully within 20 mins.

No Events found!