Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2016 03:00

XPS 13 9350 - USB DAC - Severely distorted Audio

Hi all

I am playing DXD (352.8kHz FLAC) files to a USB DAC and I am getting intermittent severe distortion which to me sounds like a USB transmission issue caused by DPC latency. My configuration is as follows:

- Win 10 Pro
- jRiver MC21
- Chord Mojo connected over USB using Chord ASIO driver 1.05
- alternatively AudioQuest Dragonfly 2 (downsampling samplerate to 88.2kHz)

I am getting the distortion with both DACs, which would suggest a problem with the XPS 13 HW or SW. I have disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for Intel USB3 eXtensible Host Controller and for the USB Root Hub (xHCI), but that did not solve the issue.

Power Plan is set to high performance, Under advanced settings I have set USB selective suspend setting to disabled.

DPC latency check and Latency Mon do not show any issue and list the PC as being capable of streaming real time audio.

The problem goes away if I chose the direct sound driver in jRiver. It occurs identically if I chose the ASIO, WASAPI and Kernel streaming drivers.

The problem does not occur on an HP zbook 15u.

Does anyone else have a similar problem and has anyone solved it?

July 23rd, 2016 21:00

I don't know if you've already figured it out or gone nuts perhaps but I had the same issue and have found a work-around. I have a XPS15 9550 and had the same problem with the Mojo. I worked around it by disabling C-states (processor sleep state) in BIOS. This will reduce battery life to a degree but the DAC works without a hitch now. 

12 Posts

July 31st, 2016 12:00

Thank you, OYVEYZMEIR!

disabling C-states solved my problem. You are one step ahead of Chord themselves.

Regards

Rudi

5 Posts

February 12th, 2017 06:00

For reference :

With the internal Realtek soundcard several ppl have had the same distortion issue as in this thread with the external DAC. See thread

en.community.dell.com/.../19664017

No Events found!