Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2016 12:00

XPS 13 9350 fails with DA200 USB-C 4in1 Adapter

Hello all,

Just got an XPS 13 9350(i7,8gb,256GB disk). Also ordered the DA200 4in1 adapter to be able to connect second monitor and ethernet cable. It was delayed and came a couple weeks later.

I setup the laptop, added applications etc and used for two weeks. Then when the DA200 showed up I connected to the USB-C port. It went through the adding drivers stage like any new device. After that it would continuously connect and disconnect. Device Manager would show the network adapter go from disconnected, to connect, to error with yellow warning triangle. It would do this for 5-10 minutes then give up and say there was error in connecting the device.

Went to Dell support, found a bunch of new drivers, installed all of them. Thunderbolt firmware and drivers, Realtek USB ethernet, BIOS, etc. All latest as of July 7 and there were a few new ones added in late June/early July.

I then decided to perform a factory default reimage. Basically take it back to factory default like it came from the factory and still have the same problems.

Called Dell suport, was on the phone for a couple of hours and did all the same thing. Reload drivers, patches etc. All latest and greatest and a couple he had access to. Still not luck

Soon as I connect the DA200, the laptop beeps(new device added) and then boops(device removed) over and over. Device Manager shows it appear then disappear.

No resolution and waiting for support to call me back with action plan.

Wondering if anyone has tried the same scenario and your experience.

I've heard many people having problems with the Thunderbolt Docking station TB15 which uses the same USB-C thunderbolt port. I also ordered the TB15 and had to cancel the order as it's on back order forever and Dell wouldn't let me keep the order active. Now you can't even find the TB15 to order, so assume there are serious problems with thunderbolt devices.

So now I have no docking solution and wondering what's next.

Thanks for any help that's out there.

27 Posts

July 9th, 2016 10:00

Search for "broadcom" for instructions on how to turn down the power on your wireless radio. It works.

44 Posts

July 9th, 2016 14:00

Specifically (this worked for me, too):

In Device Manager, in the Advanced settings for the device under Network Adapter, you want to change "Power Output" to 75%.

11 Posts

July 9th, 2016 15:00

Thanks to all that posted to reduce the power output of the wifi.

I did some testing and found that I had to reduce the power to 50%. Setting it to 75% or 100% still caused the DA200 to fail.

I also posted a response to people using the TB15(Thunderbolt docking station) because they were having problems as well. Hopefully this may resolve their issues as well.

I still have a ticket open with Dell and is going to 3rd level support. I consider the 50% or even 75% solution to be a workaround. There is a definite problem with the XPS and likely is because the WIFI transmitter is to close to the thunderbolt  circuitry. Or something like that. For sure it is a proximity or shielding issue. Trying to pack too much stuff into too small a space.

So I'm still waiting for an official response and FULL resolution.

I luv my XPS 13. It's the right size, weight and design. Amazing laptop that Dell needs to make some adjustments with and since I have 3 full ProSupport warranty will expect them to make things right.

Hope this thread helps others as well. And I was happy to help Dell support with the troubleshooting as long as it results in a fix for everyone.

Don't leave us hanging. Please......

July 11th, 2016 08:00

As far as getting a TB15 for the XPS 13...don't bother.

When I was originally looking to purchase the TB15 Dell's website stated it was not compatible with my XPS 13. A month later I was looking at the Dell website and it showed it was now available for the XPS so I bought one.

I used it with two external monitors and it worked great...for about 6 weeks. Then, for no reason, it started dropping one of the two monitors from the video feed. I tried troubleshooting it myself, checked for TB15 and monitor driver updates, verified no OS updates that might have changed things, finally went to Dell for help.

After spending 22 hours (not exaggerating) with Dell in on-line chats and phone calls being passed from department to department to department and then back to the first department again (the "Dell Shuffle"), Dell technical support finally came to the conclusion that the XPS 13 is not compatible with the TB15. I was told to contact Dell Customer Care to get a refund.

I sent the unit back to Dell and, 8 weeks later, I've spent another 8 hours, on numerous phone calls, to get my refund. I'm tempted to invoice them for MY TIME ;-)

Maybe the refund will come this week but not holding my breath, they've promised it for the past 4 weeks already...

I'm now using an older Targus model ACP71USZ which I used with my previous computer. It's bigger than the TB15 and doesn't do 4k to the external monitors, but it works great!

11 Posts

July 11th, 2016 11:00

Terry, yes same experience with the TB15 in that I was able to order as part of the XPS 13 order, it was but on backorder till August and then got a call from Dell that they were cancelling the order for the TB15.

Now you can't even find the TB15 on the Dell site, so looks like it's a completely failed product and either they are working on a new version or dumping the idea all together.

And funny you mention the ACP71USZ cause I had one as well from an old laptop, downloaded all the latest Displaylink drivers and it works PERFECTLY. But I have a USB3.1/Thunderbolt bolt port that is completely useless.

FYI, I also ordered a 4in1 Adapter from Cable Matters via Amazon and that didn't work either. Thought it was defective so returned it. Looking back, it probably was fine if I changed the wifi power to 50%.

1 Message

September 29th, 2016 19:00

I have exactly the same issue with my 4 i n1 DA200 adapter and my XPS 13... help!

No Events found!