Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2017 14:00

XPS 13 9350 keyboard & trackpad bulging from swollen battery?

Hi,

My less than 2 year old (bought in December 2015) XPS 13 9350 has a noticeable bulge underneath the bottom left side of the keyboard that's also warping the trackpad. You can see it in the below photos. I'm worried that this is the battery and that it could explode or catch fire at any time.

What should I do about this?

Thank you.

KAT

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 15:00

Remove the battery from the system immediately and get it out of your home or office. Then contact Dell - they are apparently replacing many of these out of warranty and repairing the systems if need be.

September 20th, 2017 16:00

@uci10

No, they didn't help.

When I called warranty support they refused to fix it because the 9350 wasn't listed in their database as a model that should receive support outside of warranty for this issue.

I said it's clearly affecting many XPS models, obviously with mine included. They didn't care.

It's very ridiculous and arbitrary that something like the 9250 or the 9360 for example are marked for extended support for this issue and not the 9350.

Very disappointed in Dell that I have a $1000 laptop less than 2 years old now rendered useless because it's essentially a ticking time bomb.

2 Posts

@xavier

I totally agree. I just talked to them and all they would say is its out of warranty and that batteries degrade.  Its terrible I have owned computers from HP, Sony and Apple, none of them had a battery issue like this.  The fact that Dell won't fix a battery issue that is unsafe is crazy.  

Only way Dell will see it as an issue is if more people complain.  The 9550 has a big forum on dell's reddit with a lot of people complaining so they now recognize that as a defect.  

Definitely ridiculous for a $1000 laptop to have this issue after less then 2 years.  I'll definitely be sharing the poor experience I have had with Dell with others now.

2 Posts

Hi purchased my xps 13 around the same time as you and I have taken good care of it as well.  I have the same exact bump as well.  I'm pretty sure they have some faulty batteries that are causing this.  Were you able to get it resolved?

8 Posts

September 25th, 2017 14:00

I too bought an XPS 13 9550 at the same time as you. Now I am having identical problems. I first noticed something going wrong when the spacebar became hit or miss. I have contacted Dell on FaceBook and they asked for photos. I could have used yours as they are identical to mine. Such a shame as until this happened, I was delighted with the machine. My first Dell, but unless they come up with a decent solution, probably my last.

9 Posts

November 4th, 2017 23:00

Just had the same issue with our XPS 13 bought just under two years ago, in exactly the same spot.   For this unit I didn't opt for extended warranty and like you Dell wouldn't do anything other than charge me for shipping it in and then $80+ more for a used battery.    I like others will be warning everyone I know away from Dell due to this.  They have already lost one sale in the past week from my sharing of the story and should lose many more as this is a serious manufacturing issue, a safety hazard, and they treat it like it is simply a battery that isn't hold a charge in anymore.   Can you image if that happened when you were traveling?  You or your laptop wouldn't be coming home.

I'm sure you already took action but assuming you don't have any extended warranty from your credit card, the best thing for anyone else in the same situation is to immediately unplug the unit so it isn't charging any more and shut down.  Find one of the videos on youtube that show how to take it apart, (you need a t5 torx bit and small screwdriver), pull out the bad battery and find a new one. I ordered a an oem part from a ebay vendor for less than $50 but you can find some in the $30's with slight use.  You can use your laptop w/o the battery while you wait but of course you have to be plugged in.    

November 5th, 2017 15:00

I ended up removing the battery and gave it to a friend for use plugged in only.

Replaced it at work with a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon and very much liking it so far. ThinkPads have a reputation for quality and support that Dell is apparently sadly lacking.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2017 09:00

How did you get on with this? mine is just 2 years old and has done the same. Disgusting for a £1400 laptop from Dell...

December 12th, 2017 10:00

See my post above. I removed the battery and gave it to a friend. Waste of a nearly new laptop.

1 Message

December 13th, 2017 15:00

I have the same issue.   Dell also refused to do anything for me as well because at this date they are only handling the defective batteries for the xps 15.   They said $169 for a new battery.   I'll look elsewhere for the moment, but adding my voice to this thread as a dissatisfied xps 13 customer.

No Events found!