Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2017 07:00

XPS 13 9360 charger brick get too hot while charging - HELP!

Hi Dell Tech Support,

It seems that my XPS 13 charger brick get very hot while I'm charging.  This don't seem to be normal.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Regards

DT

2K Posts

April 22nd, 2017 12:00

Hi HINOON,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Does the system overheat? 

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point.

If it is only the adapter that overheats and if the system is under warranty, we shall replace the adapter.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 04:00

Hi 

Thanks for your response. 

Yes. The adapter is original from the box.  Yes the adapter is firmly connected to the system.  The system is not hot as compared with the adapter brick which is very hot.

With the F2 function key, the BIOS for the AC Adapter indicates accordingly, ie when adapter is connected with power supplied, it indicates as "45W".  When there is no power supplied, it indicates as "Not Installed ".

Wiggling the adapter cable at anypoint does not changed the status.

Thanks

Regards

DT

2K Posts

April 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hi HINOON,

Kindly private message me the service tag of the system and your name and country, so I could review the warranty options. If the system is under warranty, we shall have the adapter replaced.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

1 Message

May 17th, 2017 13:00

I have the same problem with my xps 13 9360 so worried that unit is drawing too much power which will eventually damage the ac adapter and/or the laptop. This happens when i charge the unit from low battery power and recently i measured the temperature rise of the ac adapter to be approximately 40 degrees F (112 - 72 F room temp). I still have onsite customer support so Dell has replaced a few parts (ac adapter, mother board, battery and the charging port) but did not seem to help - ac adapter still get very hot. I also have a xps 13 9350 but that laptop does not have the same issue - from low battery it charges fine with minimal temp rise of the ac adapter (barely noticeable).  No clue what to do next - any and all suggestions welcome.

1 Message

June 7th, 2017 12:00

I have 2 Dell XPS with the same issue.  Tight connection - system recognizes adaptor.  Adaptor very hot while charging. While charging the XPS gets hot left underside of the PC.  These 45W chargers seem to have a problem.  How do I get replacements?  Both machines are under warranty.  I called customer support but got disconnected after speaking with the first intake person for 10 mins.   Need to do this via email/chat (chat doesn't support "Support" though.

No Events found!