Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2017 20:00

XPS 13 Coil Whine through headphones

(I made http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/20022525 as well, but I tested it and the issue affects windows as well)

I purchased a Dell XPS 13 9360 (the new model). Overall, while clearly audible, I can live with the coil whine from the laptop. However, when I plug in my headphones, I can very clearly hear the coil whine over music while it is playing.

This issue affects both windows 10 and Linux, and so I think it might be a hardware issue. I really do love the laptop otherwise, so before I send the laptop back, I was wondering if there was any way I could get a USB headphone adapter (or a discount to purchase one).

30 Posts

Hi  justinmichaud , does the coil whine come from near button 'D' & 'S' ? XPS 9360 manufactured prior 1st January 2017 seems to be having this issue. Kindly refer to this thread too :

en.community.dell.com/.../19992655

Thanks for the fast response!

I can't quite tell where the coil whine is coming from, but it is coming from that side. Also, the laptop was manufactured (or at least should have been) very recently, since it is the 8th gen model. That being said, I am fine with the loud coil whine, my only issue is the headphone jack outputting very loud coil whine.

Thanks again!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 19th, 2017 22:00

Does anything effect the volume or amount of whine?  Does it only happen when playing music?  Does drive operation change anything?

A Bluetooth headset will not run the sound through the Realtek devices and may give you a clean sound, unless the whine is originating prior in the system.

As was mentioned, some systems have been having problems with something being called Coil Whine, but I haven't seen a fix except possibly replacing the motherboard with a modified one.  I don't think the other folks could hear it through the headset, so it may be something else or a different form.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 20th, 2017 05:00

This issue affects both windows 10 and Linux, and so I think it might be a hardware issue.

That would be my suspicion also.

was wondering if there was any way I could get a USB headphone adapter (or a discount to purchase one).

I seriously doubt that you would get a positive reply from Dell on that, as they don't sell those products. You would have to make the request directly to tech support, but the usb adapters are so cheap it hardly seems worthwhile.

You can get one from Amazon from under $4 up to $10 or so. I would contribute to the cost myself if cost is a limiting factor, because I am curious whether or not the whine would come through the adapter. It might. But another consideration is the time it would take to obtain one, because you don't want to exceed the brief return period in case you do decide to return the laptop. The clock usually starts ticking from the date on the invoice.

1 Message

October 31st, 2017 09:00

I have exactly the same issue with my brand new xps 13 9360 i7 8550u. I read about that issue before (coil whine, yes, but not through the speakers!?), but I can't believe Dell is not fixing it and sends out very recently manufactured $1500 notebooks like that.  , seriously.

It's definitely coil whine audible through the speakers (left and right). I can hear a crackling sound in a quiet surrounding when the CPU is doing work (e.g I can HEAR opening a new tab in chrome!) and even worse it's clearly audible when using headphones.

I most likely will return that notebook.

EDIT: Okay, after 1 day of trying to solve the issue with linux, I installed windows to check if it is the same. With the default audio driver actually it IS the same, but installing the audio driver from dell makes it work. So I have to correct myself, it does not seem to be a hardware fault, there's just some mess going on with the intel audio driver. So.. now installing ubuntu again and hoping to find a fix for the driver.

No Events found!