Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2016 21:00

XPS 13: Google Chrome streaming problems

I've had the XPS 13 (7th gen, 256gb, 8gb ram) for a little over a week now, and I've started to see that what I thought was a one time issue could possibly be an issue with my laptop, and others.

Youtube/Netflix/DirectTV Now (and probably all streaming services) do not work properly using Chrome. With any other browser, there are no problems. I'm still searching for solutions since I love chrome and despise the other browsers, but no solutions have appeared.

To be specific, any streaming service works for me right after I restart the computer. For youtube, any video works for me fine. However, if I pause for longer than 5 seconds, and I try to resume, the video will crash. If I refresh, the video works but it starts from the top.  

For netflix, the only way I don't get errors is when I restart the computer completely, and immediately open netflix in one of my tabs in chrome. If I back out or close the tab, when I try to get back in, netflix will show up with errors. This applies to Direct TV Now as well.  Refreshing does not work.  I've tried a myriad of things.  The only solution I've found is to continually restart my laptop, which is fine as a short term solution but not something I want to do in the long term.

Side note: when refreshing with netflix, it will change the error #'s between two different error codes.  It's the same two every time.

I've also already tried turning off my ad blocker extensions, and there's no effect.  All other browsers work fine (edge, firefox) but chrome is what I've used for years and it's what I'm most comfortable with.

Not sure if this is a hardware issue or not, but I am definitely sure that this is not a user error.  Thank you for your time.

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 19:00

This issue is appearing to be caused by the audio setup on these laptops.  I hope it can be fixed soon, check out this other thread:

en.community.dell.com/.../20966912

January 3rd, 2017 23:00

For the record - Google Chrome "Canary" (i.e. the latest development version found at www.google.com/.../canary.html) seems to have general fixes for streaming failures.

For me it was any video on https://www.vimeo.com/ which was failing.

I did not make any changes whatsoever to the audio setup; I am running on latest drivers and BIOS (1.2.3).

See also productforums.google.com/.../ with additional links to Chrome blacklisting the current Intel HD 620 driver provided by Dell because of implementation defects.

No Events found!