Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2012 21:00

XPS 13 Ultrabook Restarts when I Shut Down

When i click shut down from the start menu, the computer restarts. also, when i click the power button, the laptop restarts. both are set to shut the computer down, not to restart it - and i'm sure of that. what could be causing the computer to restart instead of shut down?

March 18th, 2012 22:00

i checked my event log and there were 2 instances of a relavent critical error. "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. this could be cuased if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." so it appears that the problem is that the system is not shutting down correctly. any ideas on how to mend this?

3.8K Posts

March 18th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. A USB/Wireless Mouse/touchpad/NIC can wake up your computer from shut down without having to press the power button. Go to device manager, by click on start, right click on computer and click on properties, right click on those devices ( USB/Wireless Mouse/touchpad/NIC ) and click on properties, click on power management, and uncheck the box that says, allow this device to wake computer.

Also try the below steps.

Start -> Search and type "cmd.exe". Then right click on the command prompt utility and chose "Run as administrator". Once the command prompt appears, enter the command "sfc /scannow" without quotes. This will scan your system for any integrity discrepancies, if one is found it will require your installation media in order to repair it.

Once that command finishes (may take a while) enter the command "chkdsk /f". It will ask you if you want to schedule it for the next startup, enter "Y". Now reboot. Once your computer boots up, it will begin checking your hard drive for errors.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

May 31st, 2012 20:00

I'm experience the same thing with my Dell XPS 13. It is literally only a week old and I've barely installed anything. 

Royan, once I'm in the device manager I'm having a hard time following your instructions. Under "mice and other pointing devices," I see the Cypress Trackpad as well as HID-compliant mouse, which I can only assume is a reference to my wireless Logitech mouse that is not currently plugged in. After right-clicking on these devices and selecting properties, I see no option for power management. Any other places I can look? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 4th, 2012 11:00

I have the same problem! But, there are also times when my laptop will be stuck in "Logging off" when trying to shut down and stays there. I'm forced to shut down by holding the power button.

3 Posts

July 24th, 2012 04:00

Hi there!I have the same exactly problem...it dies at "logging off" and I have to kill it by holding the power button...any ideas??

February 24th, 2014 04:00

I have the same laptop, not sure what caused the issue, i tried all the steps mentioned here and in other forums without any joy. All i did is to try sleep option once before hitting shut down button, strangely it worked. I'm interested in knowing what caused the issue. Thanks.

No Events found!