Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2017 11:00

XPS 13 - no bootable devices

My XPS 13 9350 worked beautifully before this morning when I allowed the dell updater to load bios rev 1.4.12 and something related to SupportAssist on the machine.  The bios update reported success but the system would not boot, complaining there was no bootable volume to be found.

I tried downgrading the bios to rev 1.4.10 and 1.4.4 with no luck.

The SSD (Samsung PM951 NWMe) show in the bios and report successful tests in the diagnostic utility.  However, when loading bootable versions of Diskpart and MiniTool (Partition Wizard), the drive is not found.

The bootloader wants to load UEFI from partition 1 of the SSD (EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi), which I believe is the correct place to boot from.  I cannot verify this, however, because I cannot get the drive to show up in any kind of utility to let me see partitions and/or MBR.

I could not find an updated firmware for the Samsung SSD and I found it odd that the driver section for this XPS model shows several other makes of SSDs (and drivers) but not the Samsung.

Any suggestions?  I seems odd to me that the SSD would fail at the exact moment of a bios update.  I'm desperate for ideas.

Thanks, Brandon

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 20th, 2017 11:00

When you boot to alternate media are you booting as UEFI.

I wonder if the Dell updater was in any way involved in the situation with you and all the other XPS 13 93XX systems?

As far as repairing it, you might think about doing the Bios recovery, if that system can do it.  If there was some problem with the first install maybe a manual second one would correct any problems.

17 Posts

January 20th, 2017 12:00

I have no idea what caused the issue in the first place (this is somewhat concerning).  But after time spent with phone support, I did resolve the issue.  Here are the steps to correct if it helps others:

-  put the SATA mode to AHCI (from Raid On)

-  boot to windows 10 recovery/install media

-  select repair startup (this step apparently doesn't work on the On Raid setting)

-  on reboot, the system bluescreens with a not accessible message (this is expected since the OS was installed with Raid and not AHCI)

-  change SATA mode back to Raid On

the SSD was not getting recognized in the OS.  I do not know what the automatic start-up repair did other than switch around the boot sequence.

532 Posts

January 20th, 2017 12:00

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to our community. Thank you for updating us with the troubleshooting steps performed. If you are comfortable in removing the HDD, please go ahead and use the same hard drive in a different system and check if the hard drive is detected. This is isolate if the issue is with HDD or with any other with the system.

17 Posts

January 20th, 2017 13:00

Not sure... the device in device manager now shows as NVMe... Perhaps some kind of reset caused the NVMe controller to wake up and acknowledge the device.

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_PM951_NVMe_SAMSU\4&777aad5&0&050000 was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_PM951_NVMe_SAMSU\4&777aad5&0&050000

Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0x0

Present: true

532 Posts

Thank you for the update Brandon. We’ll surely take a note of the resolution provided. If there are any other issues that need to be addressed in the future, please feel free to write to us.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I think what you did was move from the NVMe controller to the SATA controller.

1 Message

January 21st, 2017 07:00

Hi Brandon,

I am having the same issue as you had.

Could you please explain how you did the "boot to windows 10 recovery/install media" ? how do I boot to this? i found how to change from raid to ahci in the F2 menu, but not the win10 recovery.

Did you see the "select repair startup" option in the recovery/install mode?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy

17 Posts

January 21st, 2017 19:00

Run the media creation tool to create a bootable USB stick. When it boots, click repair, then fix startup.

www.microsoft.com/.../

January 21st, 2017 22:00

I just want to put out there that I had the same exact problem happen to me about 2 hours ago. I'll try to replicate the solution as described by Bcr5 and post whether it worked for me as well.

It's ridiculous that a BIOS update put out by Dell has rendered my device unusable. What's the point in investing in these expensive machines if the updates are only going to cripple them? How can a company release updates without bug checking!?

January 22nd, 2017 23:00

UPDATE: I tried replicating Bcr5's steps to fix the issue, but it did not work for me.

Before I could boot from the USB recovery media, I had to enable Legacy booting (this included turning off Secure Boot and enabling Legacy ROMs). Only after Legacy booting was enabled did my machine show the USB drive in the boot sequence, allowing me to move it to the top of the sequence stack. In UEFI mode, the USB did not show up, even though I tried with multiple USBs.

Once I was able to boot the recovery media, I clicked "Repair your computer". After clicking Troubleshoot --> Startup Repair, Windows attempted to diagnose the issue, but ultimately said, "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC". I even tried the other recovery options, like switching to a previous build, system restore,  ect., but Windows stated there were no system images.

Any suggestions on what my next move should be?

January 22nd, 2017 23:00

UPDATE: I tried using a different USB, which for some reason doesn't successfully load the Windows Installation/Recovery media. Instead, a blue Recovery screen pops up and says:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Error code: 0xc0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools.....ect, ect.

The previous USB I used is able to boot the Installation/Recovery media, but is unable to repair the computer.

16 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 19:00

This exact same thing happened to me this morning. My XPS 13 worked great until I downloaded Dell update of BIOS to 1.4.12. I have been so frustrated because I am on multiple deadlines tonight. I can change SATA to AHCI but I have no way of creating a bootable USB stick.  Dell I am not happy. And I don't know what to do next.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 5th, 2017 05:00

Deleted.....

1 Message

February 6th, 2017 12:00

I have encountered the same problem on Friday after installing BIOS 1.4.12.

Unfortunately for me, booting up into a Windows 10 recovery was not enough, it failed to repair the issue.

I had to, from recovery, open the command shell and manually rebuild the boot partition.

If I could recall the exact steps I took I would write them here, but it took several attempts and reboots until I finally got it to boot properly. I can say that at some point I had to delete a specific file from the boot partition that was corrupted, prior to this it seemed like the file couldn't even be replaced.

Resuming, I was able to fix this issue without having to take the laptop to a service centre or opening it up, but I did try a lot of things that I wouldn't be comfortable doing if I was afraid of loosing my data.

I find the lack of a proper solution or acknowledgement of a bigger problem from Dell a bit baffling. It should be clear by now that this wasn't an one off, and even if the OP found a solution, it clearly doesn't work in for everyone.

Dell, what are you going to do about this? Are you going to continue let your clients fend off by themselves figuring out how to rebuild the boot partition of windows (the ones that can that is..)?

16 Posts

February 10th, 2017 13:00

Ditto trfonseca. Not cool, Dell.

No Events found!