Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Whenever i turn on the laptop, or wake the screen up when it goes dark, the screen starts to flicker. It's like it's glitching a couple of seconds before it stops.. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds. It started to happen after i upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (i got my XPS 13 yesterday). It's the i7 model with the infinity touch display. 

I have checked that i have all the latest drivers. So is this software, or hardware? And what can i do to fix this?

12 Posts

March 19th, 2016 22:00

Any fix for this yet, Just about made my XPS 13 unusable so moving to another make for office kit of not sorted soon. Scrap all the XPs's we have

• 

351 Posts

April 13th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

The Video driver that fixes the flickering on the XPS 13 (L321X) after the Windows 10 upgrade has finally been released on the support site.

Everyone experiencing this issue should install this update:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 Driver Version Version 9.17.10.4229

1 Message

April 13th, 2016 06:00

Is there going to be a fix release for XPS 13 9350? I've been having this problem since the first day of purchase, it's quite annoying. 

10 Posts

April 13th, 2016 07:00

Colin:

The driver you suggest has the same code as the one that caused the problems for me and many others when Windows 10 forced us to update to it. I posted this in November last year:

"Yet another L321x user here whose laptop is unusable after the Windows 10 upgrade. The following drivers (the most recent ones, which Windows insists on installing on this laptop, even if you explicitly tell it not to install driver updates) are not compatible:

9.17.10.4229 Video
2.5.1.72 Trackpad

I have managed to prevent display corruption by using an ancient Windows 8.1 HD3000 driver from 2012: driver version 9.17.10.2817. It's available for download from Dell's website. Once you install this driver, you will have to use the Windows tool to hide specific driver updates, in order to stop it from installing the latest Intel driver. And every time a new one comes out, you will have to repeat this."

Can you confirm that the driver that you linked to above is an updated version of 9.17.10.4229? If not, how is installing it supposed to help us?

• 

351 Posts

Is there going to be a fix release for XPS 13 9350? I've been having this problem since the first day of purchase, it's quite annoying. 

BIOS 1.3.3 does increase graphics stability so I'd suggest updating that to check for any change

• 

351 Posts

I've been assured by Engineering that it now fixes the flickering. They went through extensive testing on the driver before finally releasing it yesterday. I don't know why it is showing as the same version as before, but it does have the fix

14 Posts

April 15th, 2016 20:00

I just finished downloading and installing the latest driver.

The old driver had these details:

Date: 5/27/2015

Version: 9.17.10.4229

The new driver has these details:

Date: 5/26/2015

Version: 9.17.10.4229

Im on my 45th minute already using the l321x unplugged. So far so good, I shall keep everyone posted.

4 Posts

April 16th, 2016 14:00

Thanks DELL-Colin H for your answer

2 Posts

April 16th, 2016 23:00

Colin,

Is there any advantage to installing this update if flicker is not being experienced?

• 

351 Posts

April 20th, 2016 07:00

Colin,

Is there any advantage to installing this update if flicker is not being experienced?

The only advantage (if you haven't got the flickering) would be keeping the drivers up-to-date

28 Posts

April 20th, 2016 07:00

Colin @ Dell,

I have installed the "new" driver last Saturday.  I have only used my x321 for just 2-3 hours.  Although I have not seen any flickering problem yet which is a good sign indeed.  The time is not long enough to be conclusive yet.  I'll provide update in a few weeks.  If anyone had this flickering problem in the past, please share your experience with the new driver.  We may be seeing the end of this long and dark tunnel.  Thanks Colin for being our advocate in Dell.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 10:00

Went through a whole battery last night after the upgrade without the dreaded "video ZZZZZZZ".

Makes using the XPS for writing my motorcycle blog -- https://rollingphysicsproblem.wordpress.com/ -- a whole bunch less aggravating.

Thanks for staying on this and getting it resolved, Colin.

I've had situations like this with other vendors -- caffHPcaff -- that resulted in me having to sh*tcan a piece of expensive hardware after the vendor essentially orphaned it.

Makes me glad I bought another Dell for my wife when she needed a new box.

g.

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 10:00

So far so good, I've tried using my laptop unplugged several times and the flicker seems to be gone.

It took awhile before this solution came out but, nonetheless, the good thing is that its been resolved.

1 Message

May 17th, 2016 09:00

Colin we have started to upgrade a number of 1st Gen XPS 13 laptops and at first noticed no issues but as they have become deployed more we are noticing video issues as well.  This seems to happen most when taken away form the desk and unplugged from our docking stations (Targus USB 3.0 docks).

Typically the right 3rd of the screen becomes fuzzy and full of lines and discolored.  A quick press of FN+F1 to switch display mode seems to snap it back to the correct mode or just closing the display and then opening back up and logging in fixes it.  So while we have a work around that is really disruptive.  Is there a similar update for this Gen XPS 13?  Ours are Intel i5 processors with Intell 3000 graphics. 

I found a similar thread to this issue here but didn't see an official response from dell to remedy this problem. 

10 Posts

August 25th, 2016 17:00

Dear Colin

Remember me? Very unhappy L321X user, returning once again to inform you that my laptop still does not work properly with Windows 10.

I had decided not to install the 9.17.10.4229 driver due to my feeling that it was exactly the same as the old one, with exactly the same driver ID, that seemed to be the cause of all the problems, but a few days ago Windows 10 decided to install if for me. Yippee.

The problem returned straight away. If I put the laptop to sleep and wake it, the mouse pointer won't move. And every now and then, the screen becomes garbled. This is quite simply the worst excuse for product service I have ever come across.

I have tried installing the 9.17.10.4229 driver from the link you provided, but not surprisingly, it makes no difference, because as I suspected, it is THE SAME DRIVER as the one I had on my laptop last November when the problem first occurred. I guess the extensive testing conducted by your Engineering department didn't stretch to closing the lid and opening it again.

Is there ANY chance of you actually doing something about this issue?

No Events found!