Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2016 14:00

XPS 15 1tb + 32gb ssd Hard drive configuration

I have just bought an XPS15 9550-8076 from an outlet store and it came with a 1tb hdd + 32gb SSD.

Currently the OS is installed to the 32gb ssd and the 1tb is just set as a data drive.

Immediately im having issues as the OS drive is tiny and i have managed to almost max it out just installing office.

Looking online it seems that the SSD should be a cache drive and the OS should be installed on the 1tb, is that correct?

I spoke to dell technical support earlier asking this question and I was told that the OS should be on the SSD as i received it, however the person i was speaking to did not sound very confident or like he understood exactly what i was asking.

I'm wondering if having bought from an outlet store this was returned and restored incorrectly.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 25th, 2016 04:00

The OS should not have been installed to the 32G drive.  It sounds like someone reinstalled the OS incorrectly.

You'll need a set of recovery media to reload the OS to the hard drive.  Once that's done you can use the Intel RST utility to set up the cache drive.

No Events found!