Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2014 11:00

XPS 15 9530 Graphics Problem

I just got my xps 15 a few days ago and after getting all set up I started to play games on it.

For the first several hours, everything was fine. The game Skyrim looked great and played smoothly. 

But then everything went wrong. The game started moving really slow. So slow it wasn't playable. I figured it was over-heating so I quit the game and left it until the laptop was cool. I tried again and after 10 minutes I got the same problem. So I quit the game, relaunched it with the graphics at the lowest setting and played for a little while until the problem started again. At this point I downloaded some software to read the GPU temp while playing. The next time it got really slow the temp was only in the 50s. I also made sure that the latest NVidia driver was installed. Nothing seemed to help. What is going on? How can I fix this?

3 Posts

April 26th, 2014 09:00

Just to let you know, Dell released a new Bios at the end of March. Updating to that Bios completely fixed my problem. I can play games for hours without having any ridiculous throttling. This new bios seems to help the games, GPU, and fans all work together the way they are supposed to. 

Now if my GPU hits 82 degrees (which doesn't happen very much thanks the working fans) it will only throttle a little instead of down to 150MHz.

Hope this solves your problem too!

5 Posts

March 4th, 2014 07:00

Call Dell, get them to replace the fans/motherboard that's what fixed it for me. Doesn't overheat at all now.

I had to tell them its overheating and shutting down the GPU.

(btw running in power saver will extend the time until it overheats as a temp fix)

April 22nd, 2014 13:00

I am/was having the exact issue as you, didn't matter what game or 3d application I was running. I used GPU-Z to track the speeds and temp. When having the issue, I noticed that my gpu core on the 750m was sitting at ~1050mhz and voltage at 1.112v. Once I hit temps of 82c+, it was like the bottom fell out and my gpu core fell to ~150mhz (along with memory speed drop and voltage drop). I noticed this happening across 3 different NVidia driver versions. That being said, after doing a system reboot I noticed the issue went away. I'm wondering if resuming from sleep can muck up the gpu's ability to throttle itself properly. Not every time, but only sometimes. I would attribute this to a bios/firmware issue on the gpu and not the driver, since I tried a few driver versions. Who knows, maybe it's even something with Win 8.1 and how it interacts with the driver? Point is, it doesn't appear to be a hardware defect. A simple shut down / restart or reboot of the computer seems to clear things up. Quite an annoying issue for a laptop at this price point. Wish Dell or NVidia could provide some sort of assistance. Hope this helps!

5 Posts

April 26th, 2014 10:00

yes this is xps , xtreme performance system not xtreme performance trouble,

is word "trouble" violates dell Terms of Service  ?

5 Posts

skyrim is demanding game , please find game not so much demanding your xtreme performance system laptopt

maybe tetris ? or pinball ?

you need to monitor your cpu temps.. what are those? skyrim is a demanding game.. and  it sounds like your cpu maybe over heating and or skyrim had an update and you need to update your gpu drivers..

5 Posts

April 26th, 2014 11:00

this is recomended requirment for playing skyrim

Recommended

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU processor
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD (Hard disk drive) space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

your almost 2000 usd notebook is meet this recomended requirment ?

April 27th, 2014 16:00

In this case, it is a GPU issue, not a CPU issue. The cause of the issue is definitely that the GPU was not throttling itself properly. A fresh reboot would fix this. I'm not sure what was triggering the GPU to forget how to properly throttle itself. However, the OP says that the latest BIOS update fixes this issue. I installed A04 last night but have not yet had enough time to properly evaluate whether or not the issue will return. This laptop can definitely handle Skyrim, just maybe not at max settings. I'm sure this laptop can crank it out at 1920x1080 at least at medium settings. The GT 750m is a decent dedicated laptop GPU.
No Events found!