Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

39 Posts

March 1st, 2014 03:00

Hello Sirblack,

Tell me your experience with your Dell XPS 15 9530   about the Noise, did you have the issue also in your brand new laptop, i really want to know, because  i ordered mine weeks ago, and will have it next month, i won't like that if i face this same issue.

Thank you, Please let me know

17 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 19:00

It is very surprising and sad to have a big company like dell being unable to identify the source of a coil noise that comes out of ALL the new XPS laptops. Given the resources Dell has, it should be an one day job for a Dell engineer to identify at least the source of the noise. But instead Dell is asking the users to provide feedback. This is really strange because because they don't need user feedback, ALL the XPS15 have this problem. To me it looks like Dell is just trying to make us believe that they can't fix the problem easy, so the matter will be forgotten in a few months and Dell won't have to replace ALL XPS15 laptops. SHAME ON YOU Dell. This is completely unprofessional.

Thank you.

9 Posts

March 4th, 2014 03:00

Hi there,

just letting you know that I am one more person with that annoying high pitch sound problem.

Please add me to your update list Terry from Dell. 

I am awaiting a fix from Dell. Lets hope it comes soon.

thanks

17 Posts

March 4th, 2014 06:00

ALL the XPS15 have this problem.

Exactly, and technical support do nothing, I told them in December that ALL new XPS models will have this issue. I spoke to 2 managers and they said they would forward to R&D and let me know the findings and that never happened, no compensation, nothing. I'm very disappointed that Dell listen to their forums more than a telephone call to technical support. This should be an easy problem to identify, it does not require any customer device, Dell should use their own test devices... or employ me as a Test Manager :emotion-11:

39 Posts

March 4th, 2014 14:00

Is there another laptop with the same specs as the DELL xps 15 (9530) from another company that we can buy, we can not accept this from dell, i prefer to make a website and let all of you buyer that encountered this problem put videos while the machine is making the noise and spread it to the internet, blaming dell, lets see, what they are about to do before we really get mad.

30 Posts

Below are 2 videoes from youtube

And here's an audio recording from another XPS 9530 user:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84ab7vAXmcNdHB5WUJ2VjQwbEhUQ3hMWGlPblR0ZVZkSWI4/edit

39 Posts

Is there another laptop with the same specs as the DELL xps 15 (9530) from another company that we can buy, we can not accept this from dell, i prefer to make a website and let all of you buyer that encountered this problem put videos while the machine is making the noise and spread it to the internet, blaming dell, lets see, what they are about to do before we really get mad, because that is not fair

1 Message

March 6th, 2014 14:00

I'm experiencing what seems to be the same issue as well. I can vividly hear an extremely high pitched noise coming from my XPS 15 (9530). The noise is (not surprisingly) loudest when I pickup the laptop and hold my ear to the grille in the bottom. However, I cannot pinpoint the area where the sound is coming from.

I have found that the noise is most noticeable when the screen is updating for whatever reason (maximizing applications, watching video, scrolling through webpages).

I Hope you guys figure out a solution soon.

2 Posts

March 10th, 2014 10:00

If you could please add me to talk via private message that would be greatly appreciated. I have a dell xps 15 with the same issue.

Thanks,

Spencer

17 Posts

March 11th, 2014 03:00

Hi guys,

I just want to make a small comment because I see a lot of people saying something like "I hope Dell will find a fix". Guys, Dell is a multi-billion company. It has the resources to find the source of a noisy coil in a single day. Dell KNOWS how to fix the issue, Dell KNOWS exactly what it is causing it. But Dell DOESN'T WANT to admit it because it will then be obliged to replace a respectable amount of hardware. Sorry guys but Dell is just messing with us. :) Now we have to get over it I guess.

WELL DONE DELL! Keep following this strategy. Personally I will never buy a Dell product again unless I there isn't another option.

Thanks

7 Posts

March 11th, 2014 03:00

I believe it is the processor chip that produces this crazy coil whine noise, surprisingly. I ran some tests to rule out the SSD and the cooling fans. It turned out that any process that involves the CPU or the included Intel GPU will activate this noise. Even scrolling up or down your webpage is enough GPU load to hear the noise, let alone watching YouTube videos. However, the nVidea GPU makes less of this noise if any

Interestingly, this happens only when the Intel CPU/GPU chip is receiving power directly from the AC adapter. I am in Canada and the voltage here is ~120V so it is not about the original plug voltage. I think there is some sort of incompatibility between the AC adapter and the CPU. I hope Dell will find an easy fix for this problem because this unexpected defect is really ruining my beautiful XPS.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2014 04:00

Ok enough, Bekos please stop your dell free bashing. I'm not taking side but your comment show how little you know about how a world wide company adressing millions of custommers must handle a mass issue. No need to spit your frustration here or make it a personal vendetta. Aim of this thred is to gather info regarding the coil noise that may lead to fix it, so please be productive when you post. 

Regards,

17 Posts

March 11th, 2014 05:00

I am just stating the facts my friend, I am not bashing anyone. If you don't like it... tough luck I guess. Oh and I personally do not mind the coil noise, so the "frustration" you are talking about is non-existent. So... I guess somebody else is frustrated here.. I suggest you start focusing around the problem and stop talking about vendettas, bashing etc.  Relax..

Peace

39 Posts

March 11th, 2014 08:00

I will soon get mine, i spent 2,086.00 Euros,   512 SSD and 16 GB RAM    Hope, mine will be okay, otherewise, all i need to do is to send it back !   No matter what people are saying here, no one can tell me not to feel bad after purchasing a 2000 euros or dollars machine, and is behave this way, i love the machine, all i wish is DELL to find a solution, otherwise, i will send it BACK. :emotion-6:

39 Posts

March 11th, 2014 08:00

I will soon get mine, i spent 2,086.00 Euros,   512 SSD and 16 GB RAM    Hope, mine will be okay, otherewise, all i need to do is to send it back !   No matter what people are saying here, no one can tell me not to feel bad after purchasing a 2000 euros or dollars machine, and is behave this way, i love the machine, all i wish is DELL to find a solution, otherwise, i will send it BACK.  :emotion-6:

No Events found!