Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

31 Posts

May 31st, 2014 12:00

It will?? Are you sure? Because on a German forum I read about someone who had their replacement within the 14-days-refund-warranty and said that he will probably go for refund because by the time the replacement unit arrives the refund-warranty will have expired.

Could it be that this is country-specific? Where are you at?

25 Posts

May 31st, 2014 13:00

@ jphughan Please let people rant if they want to and stop acting like some sort of common sense defender. You work for Dell ? @ marvolo I don't want to be rude but you have posted already 3 or 4 times completely unrelated to the subject of this topic. If you want clarification with regards to refunds/replacements or the meaning of life you always open a dedicated topic for that. @ Gallifery Rant mate RANT ! I don't care as long as it is related to the high pitch noise. @ Terry B Can you please be a bit more specific with the issues that are causing the noise and what are the reasons a fix takes this long. This will ease up the tension in a lot of people here. Many thanks Mike

31 Posts

marvolo I don't want to be rude but you have posted already 3 or 4 times completely unrelated to the subject of this topic. If you want clarification with regards to refunds/replacements or the meaning of life you always open a dedicated topic for that.

I don't want to be rude either, but I do consider my postings to be related to the topic, which is about this specific laptop and everything that has to do with it. I mean, of course people can as well go on, wondering and speculating when Dell will actually release a fix to that problem but imho those kind of threads would be way less productive to me than threads about warranty or refunds that actually MIGHT also be interesting for people who want to change their units.

And why you threw in the "meaning of life" statement is beyond my comprehension.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

who not go create your own threads to rant in instead of this one, we are waiting for an update from Terry not some pathetic little *** fight that seems to have started. All you are doing is sending emails to people who do not want to see your little squabble so give it a rest or take it to PM.

It's a coil fault, a redesigns not just something that gets a part swap soldered on, thrown into production and shipped to tech, they have to go through various tests, certification, bench tests, stress tests and so on. chance is the fix was completed weeks ago but as of yet has not got all of it's QC stamps and stuff even I do not understand.

It isn't a case of Dell doing nothing is it? 

Just back off and wait for the next update.

I do not see why I should unsubscribe from the updates because a few people can't shut up bitching over and over about the same thing.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Funny, are you suggesting that by keeping the customers' mouths shut can help improve the progress? Also, are you suggesting that Dell has and is making every effort they can and customers should keep their mouths shut and silently wait for the result?
Just use the toe and anyone can see what is really going on when Dell said they had already looked into the issue 5 months ago and haven't come to a solution till now. The reason is that they just said whatever to comfort customers but did nothing. Customers have been waiting for 5 months and gave Dell more than enough time for a fix if they were really doing something. And you're talking like Dec 2013 that we shall trust in Dell and within a month or two, a fix will be available.
As a 9530 users, it's your right to 'be happy' with the defect but most of other customers want a fix.
Furthermore, any official news here comes from Terry, not you. Please do not keep telling new comers that 'a fix will be available to customers in 4-6 weeks'. You're not in a position to be responsible when that doesn't happen. And we don't want 'Official Dell' stand up at that time and say that they never promise sth like this.

I didn't say that customers should keep their mouths shut about problems, because it was undoubtedly customer complaints that has finally led Dell to work on delivering a fix.  I'm saying that continuing to beat this dead horse serves no purpose whatsoever.  The fix is in the pipeline, according to Terry it's expected to be ready for tech support in 4-6 weeks, which makes it obvious to me at least that in 4-6 weeks we'll be able to start requesting those replacement units from tech support.  So at this point, harping on the fact that the fix should have already been delivered is moot.  The complaints have already served their purpose: The fix is on the way.  It's not going to get here faster because you keep ranting.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

No this is called complaining to get what you want!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Just to clarify it again: If I hit up the support and ask for a replacement unit I can demand that I get a new built one instead of a refurbished model?

On monday my refund warranty expires and I'm still pondering about what to do. Since I really need a laptop I could go for a replacement unit and hope that everything's fine with the new one. If not I can still have the board replaced should the new boards come out. Does that sound like a reasonable strategy? If I return it and get the money back I stand here without a laptop and all my researching actually pointed out to this damn machine. I don't want a Macbook...

I apologize to all the readers for my constant change of mind. But decisions truly are never easy for me to make.

Replacement SYSTEMS are always brand new, never refurbished.  Replacement PARTS from a service call are always refurbished (though some appear to be new despite being stickered as refurbished).  If Dell offers you a system exchange, there's no chance it will be refurbished.

Yes, your strategy sounds reasonable.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

I don't want to be rude either, but I do consider my postings to be related to the topic, which is about this specific laptop and everything that has to do with it. I mean, of course people can as well go on, wondering and speculating when Dell will actually release a fix to that problem but imho those kind of threads would be way less productive to me than threads about warranty or refunds that actually MIGHT also be interesting for people who want to change their units.

And why you threw in the "meaning of life" statement is beyond my comprehension.

Technically, per the title of this topic, it's only about the coil whine noise, not everything about this system.  If you want a general information thread, head over to NotebookReview to the XPS 15 Haswell Owner's Lounge thread.  It's up to 564 pages as of this writing.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

May 31st, 2014 14:00

It wasn't me, it was a guy on the notebook review forum who took to it with his oscilloscope to find the cause. and while my post may not have been relevant it was linking to another as I had already made a new thread on the subject ;)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owner-s-lounge.html

25 Posts

May 31st, 2014 14:00

"It's a coil fault, a redesigns not just something that gets a part swap soldered on, thrown into production and shipped to tech, they have to go through various tests, certification, bench tests, stress tests and so on. chance is the fix was completed weeks ago but as of yet has not got all of it's QC stamps and stuff even I do not understand."

Thanks for clarification Gonzo, you should get a job at Dell and show them how it's done.

Again i apologize if my "bitching"  has caused you frustration. To be honest your issues with the second hand screens were not a delight/constructive either.

31 Posts

June 1st, 2014 03:00

Gonz0, I left a QuickNote on your profile, somehow I wasn't able to find the PM function on this board. Sorry to everyone who is receiving an email now because of me, but I assume communication is still allowed on this board? :emotion-2:

June 1st, 2014 06:00

WOW

THX !!!

Both problems solved

39 Posts

Hello All, 

My name is Dnimyranib, and I am a Victim

The Other days they replace my XPS 15 screen, because dead pixels where everywhere but in the 2nd one, i notice that there is a kind of stain on top of the screen which means its not new, they give me an old one.

I bought my laptop months ago, and last time i've spoke with them they said to me Sir even if your guaranty is expired, we will still bring you some support cuz this problem with the XPS 15 ain't resolve yet, GUYS I WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS TRUE ? Will they still want to replace my board if my PC is guarantee-less.  

Anyway true or not

Well, i decide to give up guys, I ask for a refund, and will wait when a new pc without problems , but it is not the first time i've asked for it, it's like they do not want me to ask for a refund, today i send an email for a refund because i can't anymore.   

The question is, can they deny that ? Do i have to go for a lawyer ? 

Dnimyranib,

THANK YOU

Hi all

I have the same issue and I apply for a refund. They have approve it and I decide not to buy this laptop until they solve the problems.

Anyway I want to ASK YOU ALL 

Do you have problems with the laptop screen , you think is too dark? and another big issue you see all a bit red? I see all the people skins in YouTube videos, Facebook photos... red skin

just wanna know if I am no the only one that notice this

(Sorry for my bad english)

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Hi all

I have the same issue and I apply for a refund. They have approve it and I decide not to buy this laptop until they solve the problems.

Anyway I want to ASK YOU ALL 

Do you have problems with the laptop screen , you think is too dark? and another big issue you see all a bit red? I see all the people skins in YouTube videos, Facebook photos... red skin

just wanna know if I am no the only one that notice this

(Sorry for my bad english)

Too dark??  If you have the QHD+ panel, this is the first laptop I've ever used where I can't even use it at full brightness because it can get unbelievably bright!  It sounds like you have Adaptive Brightness enabled in your advanced Power Options.  Turn that off and see what happens.

Too red is caused by splendid mode being enabled.  Turn it off by installing Dell Quickset and switching to Generic color mode in Windows Mobility Center.

Fyi, both of these issues are mentioned on the XPS 15 Wiki: http://xps-15.wikia.com/wiki/XPS_15_Wiki

No Events found!