Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 24th, 2014 07:00

I am having an issue with battery life now I've re installed Windows, does anyone know of a drive or software I'm missing that would significantly effect battery life?

It's probably something like display brightness, but check Device Manager to see if you still have any unrecognized devices.  Otherwise, make sure you've installed the drivers for both GPUs, the chipset, Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Management, and Intel Management Engine.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

It's hit and miss if you get a smooth or textured trackpad in the UK. I have had both.

31 Posts

I seem to have the same model, i7-4702HQ, GT 750m, 512 GB SSD, 16GB RAM and I'm noticing the coil whine. When I talked to the Dell support they told me that all the models are affected, so a swap would not solve the problem, they just offered me a full refund should they keep being unable to fix it. Not sure what to do now..

17 Posts

Please confirm your processor, graphics card and bios version.

Also you are using Windows and not Ubuntu

6 Posts

July 1st, 2014 02:00

Received my XPS 15 (9530) last Thursday and noticed the whistling/noise issues almost immediately.

Contacted Dell (Dell Global Business Center, Malaysia) today and here was their response (via email, dated July 1 2014):

"I had check with product engineer. New motherboard will be release soon to replace the current motherboard.

I will get back to you once we have the ETA to replace the new motherboard for you."

30 Posts

July 1st, 2014 12:00

Not sure it's one step ahead or backward. A month ago, we have ETA of early July. Now, a month passed and we're back to no ETA?

July 1st, 2014 13:00

I seem to have the same model, i7-4702HQ, GT 750m, 512 GB SSD, 16GB RAM and I'm noticing the coil whine. When I talked to the Dell support they told me that all the models are affected, so a swap would not solve the problem, they just offered me a full refund should they keep being unable to fix it. Not sure what to do now..

Well I figured that if so many people have the whine then it's likely to be an issue on all of the devices shipped. But my new one definitely has no coil whine at all. From reading this forum it sounds like every engineer has said a different thing. The guy I spoke to said it was a known issue affecting 7% of devices (I can't remember whether it was 7% exactly, but it was a fairly low percentage).

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 1st, 2014 15:00

Not sure it's one step ahead or backward. A month ago, we have ETA of early July. Now, a month passed and we're back to no ETA?

No, we're STILL at Dell customer service reps giving inconsistent and therefore unreliable information.  As far as I can see, nothing has changed.  The early July ETA was provided by Terry, and there haven't been any updates from him one way or the other since then -- though an update would be appreciated, Terry.  By my count, Dell has exactly two weeks before it is officially no longer early July -- and that was the later side of your "late June to early July" estimate.

12 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 05:00

Just off the phone with "Saprite" have been told a part is being delivered by the 14th July and I will get a call about arranging an engineer to come and fit it at my home.

Progress I hope.   

17 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 06:00

It certainly is on 100% of devices, including m3800 and the 13inch etc etc..

Your case is unknown, perhaps due to you customizing your SSD option, eating more voltage or whatever.

Certainly everyone else has the issue , remember some ears can't pick up high pitched frequencies. too many nightclubs ;)

1 Message

July 2nd, 2014 07:00

wow...

Thread started december 2013 and there are 26 pages of replies

It is now june 2014 and STILL no fix.

Most expensive paperweight ever...

36 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 11:00

Over the last few months I have been researching laptops and have spent countless hours doing so, the XPS 15 was the one I decided I would buy until I found out about the coil whine issue. I have watched this thread for about 6 weeks hoping for a cure, although a few people advised against buying I still cannot find anything that meets my needs like the XPS 15... I always seem to come back to the XPS 15 after an indepth research session... My existing laptop screen is about to die and I am wondering if I should purchase "before" the fix... I wonder though if those with more technical knowledge would answer these two questions for me... thanks in advance... 1. How many of you interested in this topic think a new motherboard will fix the coil whine? 2. Is a motherboard change a fairly straight forward process that should "in theory" not affect any data that is loaded into a laptop. Many thanks...

39 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 11:00

Months ago, this machine was sent to me by DELL, because I bought it for professional use, unfortunately, THE NOISE that coming from the laptop makes it very useless because not even 10 minutes I can concentrate to accomplish my work, so after weeks calling them and asking for a refund, because THEY CAN NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. This thread started since 2013 and they keep promising that there is a fix, their special phrase is always the same " WE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM, DELL TECHNICIAN IS WORKING ON IT " , Here in BELGIUM when i call them ask them for a refund they don't want to do that, saying SIR YOU MUST GO FIRST FOR A REPLACEMENT, well i accepted and now on july 22th, they will send me a replacement one, with a new processor, 4712HQ, In case i notice the same problem, i will take a lawyer and go to law with them, cuz i will need a full refund, and i know that they will fight me, try to force me like they do to all of you to accept and live with the problem, Now i would like to know how many of you had success asking for a full refund ?

9 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 20:00

Yes I am in the same situation. However I have been turned off by these issues and how it is taking for a resolution. Therefore I am waiting for the new ASUS 4K models that are due out in the fall which from what I gather will be similarly priced and slim like the XPS 15.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

July 4th, 2014 00:00

I spoke to TerryB yesterday, the mainboard ETA has been pushed back to late July early August.

I am sure he will post here once he has got down his do list.

No Events found!