Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 25th, 2014 12:00

PS: Where's the Dell employee that was so sure that a fix would have been available by early July and told us to shut up? 

I was never "so sure" that Dell would deliver by early July. Though I admit to believing Dell would come through, I had no basis for being sure. But that wasn't why I told you to shut up. I did that because whining about it in the meantime wouldn't make the fix arrive faster; all it would do is spam the mailboxes of people subscribed to the thread.

Yes, Dell has let me down here, just as they've let everyone else down here and continue to do so by not posting anything official over a week beyond their previously announced ETA. If it somehow makes you feel better about this to know that I too am disappointed in Dell's performance, then as sad as that is, I'm glad I was able to help you in some small way.

10 Posts

July 25th, 2014 17:00

Dell used to be a superior company but, sadly, no longer is.  When the trust of a solid client base has be eroded or lost, it's a sign of worse things to come.

No doubt, some on here held on to their prior notion of Dell's former excellence and assumed it was still there.  Now that we all know it's not, it may be time for a more organized movement to expose their shoddy service, pathetic, uncoordinated pro-support explanations and excuses and the even more flagrant sales lies about the status and scope of the issue.

I say make them pay.

12 Posts

July 26th, 2014 00:00

Well so far they are better than Asus.  They sold me a laptop with a defective nvidia graphics card that failed prematurely due to poor solder. Nothing back no support on a 2000 pound machine.

Looking around its not the only company to get this problem it's a chip on a part purchased from another company

I hope the replacement when it arrives is silent

36 Posts

July 26th, 2014 04:00

Although Dell are driving me crazy they are probably no different from any other computer manufacturer, yes indeed I have seen similar noise issues with other laptops... I wonder if you folk that own an XPS 15 could give me some advice, despite the coil whine I was going to purchase yesterday. I simply cannot wait because my present Dell is on its last legs... One of the reasons I wanted to buy the XPS 15 was due to the 400 Nit screen... however whilst checking the spec on the order page I discovered This Dell spec page { http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9530/pd#AnchorZone2 } for the XPS 15 says the screens are 400 Nit Brightness however, when though I go through the configuration and click on "help me choose" I get this http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdhs1/help-me-choose/hmc-lcd-display-3d-consumer then click on "compare side by side" ... it says the XPS 15 has only 270 NIT brightness. I spoke with a Dell rep yesterday after a short wait he said the tech guys confirmed it was 400 NIT, I said great can you please put that in writing { an email } and he refused. I said why, he said he could not do so for legal reasons.... ??? it either is or isn't 400 Nit, if unsure surely he could find out? Can anyone who has an XPS 15 or anyone from Dell please clear this up, I want a 400 Nit screen. does the XPS 15 have a 400 NIT screen? Many thanks. What I do not understand is, here is a company I wish to purchase from. I have asked a basic question about the spec, the reply is he cannot confirm in an email for legal reasons. Surely there must be someone at Dell who is authorised to give the proper spec, at the very least I would have thought they would want there website to display the correct data... Anyhow rant over, if anyone can confirm the Screen brightness NIT rating I would be very grateful Thanks..

Well so far they are better than Asus.  They sold me a laptop with a defective nvidia graphics card that failed prematurely due to poor solder. Nothing back no support on a 2000 pound machine.

Looking around its not the only company to get this problem it's a chip on a part purchased from another company

I hope the replacement when it arrives is silent

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

July 26th, 2014 04:00

Terry replied via PM a couple of days ago but I couldn't be bothered to reply due to the content of some of the posts, good luck to those who think they can "make dell pay"

just get a refund if you feel like that, no one is stopping you!

I am decrypting a typical response that boils down to this, he cannot give out information until Dell are prepared to release it, even if he knows otherwise.!

So, i gather this. These are not his words, just me picking apart what I have been told.

Tech do not have the boards yet, but they are not in manufacture & should be released to tech support in your various countries in the next 3 weeks.

New systems should ship with the new boards BUT the builds may be delayed, this is probably due to dell waiting for the new parts like February when they couldn't get QHD panels and we all had to wait a month to get from order to "in production"

So I bit the bullet and rang support to tell them to process my 3rd replacement.

36 Posts

July 26th, 2014 06:00

Thanks Gonzo...

[quote user="Majestic 12"]Thanks for the information Gonzo, I am about to buy but could you please give me some information on the screen brightness. Could you please tell me if they are 400 Nit or 270 nit brightness. The sales guy I spoke to yesterday told me verbally they are 400 however refused for legal reasons to put this in an email { didn't make sense to me }. The Dell website gives conflicting information on this, one page says 270 Not the other says 400 Nit... many thanks [quote user="GoNz0"]

Terry replied via PM a couple of days ago but I couldn't be bothered to reply due to the content of some of the posts, good luck to those who think they can "make dell pay"

I am decrypting a typical response that boils down to this, he cannot give out information until Dell are prepared to release it, even if he knows otherwise.!

So, i gather this. These are not his words, just me picking apart what I have been told.

Tech do not have the boards yet, but they are not in manufacture & should be released to tech support in your various countries in the next 3 weeks.

New systems should ship with the new boards BUT the builds may be delayed, this is probably due to dell waiting for the new parts like February when they couldn't get QHD panels and we all had to wait a month to get from order to "in production"

So I bit the bullet and rang support to tell them to process my 3rd replacement.

[/quote]Bulds still not showing on my orders page, it took a few days last time so I will let you know. not sure if I can be of any help tbh as I can't remember it saying the nit in the last invoice?

[/quote]

36 Posts

Thanks for the information Gonzo, I am about to buy but could you please give me some information on the screen brightness. Could you please tell me if they are 400 Nit or 270 nit brightness. The sales guy I spoke to yesterday told me verbally they are 400 however refused for legal reasons to put this in an email { didn't make sense to me }. The Dell website gives conflicting information on this, one page says 270 Not the other says 400 Nit... many thanks

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

Thanks for the information Gonzo, I am about to buy but could you please give me some information on the screen brightness. Could you please tell me if they are 400 Nit or 270 nit brightness. The sales guy I spoke to yesterday told me verbally they are 400 however refused for legal reasons to put this in an email { didn't make sense to me }. The Dell website gives conflicting information on this, one page says 270 Not the other says 400 Nit... many thanks [quote user="GoNz0"]

[/quote]Bulds still not showing on my orders page, it took a few days last time so I will let you know. not sure if I can be of any help tbh as I can't remember it saying the nit in the last invoice?

36 Posts

Thank you PJHUGHAM, the model I was going to order has LED backlit touch display with truelife and QHD+ resolution {3200 x 1800} so I think that's the same as you. Also sounds from your description that it is indeed 400 Nits..... Much appreciated... Many thanks...

[quote user="Majestic 12"]One of the reasons I wanted to buy the XPS 15 was due to the 400 Nit screen... however whilst checking the spec on the order page I discovered This Dell spec page { http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9530/pd#AnchorZone2 } for the XPS 15 says the screens are 400 Nit Brightness however, when though I go through the configuration and click on "help me choose" I get this http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdhs1/help-me-choose/hmc-lcd-display-3d-consumer then click on "compare side by side" ... it says the XPS 15 has only 270 NIT brightness. I spoke with a Dell rep yesterday after a short wait he said the tech guys confirmed it was 400 NIT, I said great can you please put that in writing { an email } and he refused. I said why, he said he could not do so for legal reasons.... ??? it either is or isn't 400 Nit, if unsure surely he could find out? Can anyone who has an XPS 15 or anyone from Dell please clear this up, I want a 400 Nit screen. does the XPS 15 have a 400 NIT screen? Many thanks. What I do not understand is, here is a company I wish to purchase from. I have asked a basic question about the spec, the reply is he cannot confirm in an email for legal reasons. Surely there must be someone at Dell who is authorised to give the proper spec, at the very least I would have thought they would want there website to display the correct data... Anyhow rant over, if anyone can confirm the Screen brightness NIT rating I would be very grateful Thanks..

The discrepancy is probably the FHD vs QHD+ panel.  You could probably find what you need by reading professional reviews that go into detail on the display, but for what it's worth, I have the QHD+ panel and this is the first laptop I've ever used that I do not use at full brightness because for me it's like staring into the Sun at that setting.  I keep it at 60% (with adaptive brightness disabled) as a result.  Obviously that doesn't give you a hard number of nits, but this thing can get overpoweringly bright.  If you want more, I think NotebookCheck and AnandTech both did pretty detailed reviews that have nit information, but I don't have time to look them up right now.

[/quote]

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

One of the reasons I wanted to buy the XPS 15 was due to the 400 Nit screen... however whilst checking the spec on the order page I discovered This Dell spec page { http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9530/pd#AnchorZone2 } for the XPS 15 says the screens are 400 Nit Brightness however, when though I go through the configuration and click on "help me choose" I get this http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdhs1/help-me-choose/hmc-lcd-display-3d-consumer then click on "compare side by side" ... it says the XPS 15 has only 270 NIT brightness. I spoke with a Dell rep yesterday after a short wait he said the tech guys confirmed it was 400 NIT, I said great can you please put that in writing { an email } and he refused. I said why, he said he could not do so for legal reasons.... ??? it either is or isn't 400 Nit, if unsure surely he could find out? Can anyone who has an XPS 15 or anyone from Dell please clear this up, I want a 400 Nit screen. does the XPS 15 have a 400 NIT screen? Many thanks. What I do not understand is, here is a company I wish to purchase from. I have asked a basic question about the spec, the reply is he cannot confirm in an email for legal reasons. Surely there must be someone at Dell who is authorised to give the proper spec, at the very least I would have thought they would want there website to display the correct data... Anyhow rant over, if anyone can confirm the Screen brightness NIT rating I would be very grateful Thanks..

The discrepancy is probably the FHD vs QHD+ panel.  You could probably find what you need by reading professional reviews that go into detail on the display, but for what it's worth, I have the QHD+ panel and this is the first laptop I've ever used that I do not use at full brightness because for me it's like staring into the Sun at that setting.  I keep it at 60% (with adaptive brightness disabled) as a result.  Obviously that doesn't give you a hard number of nits, but this thing can get overpoweringly bright.  If you want more, I think NotebookCheck and AnandTech both did pretty detailed reviews that have nit information, but I don't have time to look them up right now.

12 Posts

July 26th, 2014 11:00

GoNz0. Many thanks – that is very helpful. I don’t suppose you received any further information as to whether the revised motherboards in the new units “completely fix” the noise issue or just make it less bad? I remember someone had been told by Terry B the new systems would be “fairly silent”, which could be read as some of the noise would remain (over and above what you would typically get in a laptop).

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

July 26th, 2014 12:00

GoNz0. Many thanks – that is very helpful. I don’t suppose you received any further information as to whether the revised motherboards in the new units “completely fix” the noise issue or just make it less bad? I remember someone had been told by Terry B the new systems would be “fairly silent”, which could be read as some of the noise would remain (over and above what you would typically get in a laptop).

Once I have it I will let everyone know!

36 Posts

July 28th, 2014 09:00

Thank you Terry....

I know that many of you have been asking for an update on the remodeled system boards for the XPS 15. The boards are being made ready for tech support services approximately in mid August. Please contact tech support in your area for availability. If you have any problems with tech support please feel free to contact me directly.

TB

9 Posts

Thank you for the update.

NP

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

I know that many of you have been asking for an update on the remodeled system boards for the XPS 15. The boards are being made ready for tech support services approximately in mid August. Please contact tech support in your area for availability. If you have any problems with tech support please feel free to contact me directly.

TB

No Events found!