Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

10 Posts

July 28th, 2014 11:00

To Terry or anyone who has an opinion...

Can it be assumed that the same encouraging news applies to the XPS 13's similar noise problem and that remodeled boards will be avaiable for the XPS 13s as well at approximately the same time?

Thanks.

5 Posts

July 28th, 2014 12:00

What about new orders? When will this updated board make it into new XPS 15/M3800 builds? Is it safe to order one now?

36 Posts

July 28th, 2014 12:00

I am wanting to purchase also, trying to hold off as long as I can.... I would also be interested to know when units will be available with the new boards....

What about new orders? When will this updated board make it into new XPS 15/M3800 builds? Is it safe to order one now?

27 Posts

July 28th, 2014 13:00

+1.     If I call my local Dell and ask whether the shipping XPS 15 has the new MB - they probably won't know what I'm talking about. 

Is there some way for us to know when they are available and to make sure we get one of the new ones.  I know that I will be bothered by that noise, and I don't want to waste the time of myself or Dell by ordering an old one and then getting it replaced.

8 Posts

July 28th, 2014 14:00

Terry, will be fine if you inform about some technic information, simply, and we wish to know aswell if that board will have some update component of any kind.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 28th, 2014 15:00

The information that I have received is that the remodeled system board is being earmarked for new orders of XPS 13 and 15 systems first.  I don't have any specific dates but it should be safe to order any new systems once the boards have been made available to tech support and possibly sooner.

If any of you has recently ordered a new system (last week or so) please report here on what your observations on the systems are once you received it.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

I should include the Precision M3800 as new boards are being made available for that model as well. The system boards are a new design different than the design of the original boards for all of these systems (XPS 13, 15 and M3800).

I personally have not had the opportunity to test out any of these systems with the remodeled boards, but my understanding that you may have any noise normally associated with notebook PCs, (cooling fans, drive noises) but the electric whine should be removed or diminished.

I will post here if I get a chance to play with one of these systems. As I mentioned in my previous post l ask all of you to report here once you have either received a new XPS 15, or have had the service to swap out the system board.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

robertwl9,

Remodeled boards are being made available for the XPS 13 as well. You can find more information on the XPS 13 here.

TB

39 Posts

Hope remodeled board will be a solution.

12 Posts

Thanks Terry. I am planning on purchasing an M3800. I don’t suppose you received any further information as to whether the revised motherboards in the new units “completely fix” the noise issue or whether there will still be some residual noise? Obviously someone that has the noise issue in their current system will go for the replaced motherboard as it will be an improvement. Those of us buying new units are in a different position and want to make sure the noise issue has been completely fixed.

10 Posts

Thank you.  And is it your expectation that the degree of improvement in the XPS 15's noise issue (because of the board remodelling) would be the same degree of improvement in the XPS 13's noise issue?

12 Posts

Thanks again Terry. I guess there is a big difference between "removed" or "diminished" regarding the electric whine. The Dell team that produced the revised motherboards must know which it is - surely they would have tested this extensively. Perhaps you could just get the answer directly from the team that fixed the problem?

10 Posts

July 29th, 2014 08:00

Terry, if anybody could "have a chance to get their hands on one of these systems", it ought to be you.  Since so much of the frustration here and elsewhere is from people eager/desperate to obtain a new computer but terrified of more coil whine issues and the subsequent enormous potential hassle of loading the thing up only to find it needs to be replaced/returned...why not just test one out yourself or, if that's just not possible (?), have somethere there with good hearing do the same thing and issue a report here?

Then all these folks will know and their computing lives won't be on hold.

What's hard about that?

8 Posts

July 29th, 2014 10:00

Exactly, how could you let us believe that it has been fixed when Dell itself 'does not know' what's the situation?

I guess we'll wait for the feedback from users who can hear the coil whine now and get the 'fixed' motherboard and see whether it's really fixed or not.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 29th, 2014 11:00

Hello everybody.

I wanted to buy this XPS 15 .. Before I find this post. That's really disappointing..

I can't wait until september hoping that the problem will be solved. So, are there computers equivalent to the XPS 15 premium ?

This has been asked in this thread a few times, but other than the MacBook Pro, the Asus NX500 and GX500 are the nearest equivalents, but they're not due out until around that time either.  In terms of what's currently available, there isn't another system I'm aware of that has this combination of size, weight, construction materials, performance, and feature set.  There are several models that offer MOST of those things, but none that offers them all.

No Events found!