Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

8 Posts

February 1st, 2015 15:00

Jonstrong, do you have more details about your motherboard? They might have released some defect units but they won't admit it.

February 6th, 2015 04:00

Anyone here still on bios v A04 as jonstrong? Mine has A06 and that is the only difference (aside from having the coil whine while fully charged and while scrolling long pages)

8 Posts

February 6th, 2015 13:00

Was your motherboard replaced? It's not related to bios. People have this issue on different bios. It's quite interesting that even xps 13 units have coil whine. it would be good to create some pool vote to get info in which configuration problem occurs most often.

February 8th, 2015 16:00

Well, it's official: I bought a Macbook Pro a few days ago and am selling the XPS 15 tonight. Dell officially  turned me into an Apple guy. No more hours spent on the phone with Dell technical support. No more coil whine. No more buggy Dell computers. I couldn't be happier.

17 Posts

February 8th, 2015 23:00

I subscribed to this forum thread  a year ago and I see that people are still hoping that Dell will fix the issue. As I have already said lots of months ago: Dell IS NOT WORKING ON a fix. Dell has NO PLANS TO FIX this issue. Don't waste your time guys. Some people fall into the "Terry-B trap". The guy has being lying to you since day 1. They pay them to do this job. What did you expect him (and all the Dell social media employees) to say? "Hey, we sold you a broken laptop for 2K bahahaha!" Wake up guys. Dell is NOT going to fix the problem. Dell has ZERO employees/engineers working on the problem. You got ripped off by Dell, accept it. 

cheers

1 Message

February 9th, 2015 11:00

Hi Terry,

I also have this quite annoying problem. The service desk let me do al kind of tests and they all didn't helpt. Eventually someone came over to my place and switched my motherboard for a new one. This solved the problem for a few minutes.

The sound comes from the area where the powerbutton is. It happens with and without the chargecable inserted, but it's less when the battery is charging (but you can still hear it). It is quite a releave to hear that there are more people with the same problem. Would really like to know what the problem is and how to solve it.

If you need more information, please contact me and i will give you everything you'll need to fix it!

9 Posts

oh....Terry ... if you happen to live...

When are the new boards available which get rid of not all but 'most of the noise' ???? 

9 Posts

hahaha .. exactly. This whole thing has been one big parody. 

TERRY is gone. He was an automated robot - who failed to respond 30 pages back when the sheer amount of people who encountered the FAMOUS coil whine/buzzing just made his system overheat and explode. 

Terry the robot machine is not coming back .... :((((

hahaha....  

8 Posts

Hahaha, yeah. We miss you Terry!

8 Posts

Oh, come on kempi. Stop joking! Better go through whole thread from first to last page and you'll see what's been going on here.

31 Posts

There is only one known fix at this time:

sell dell and newer buy dell again

:-(

Really, not a joke. If you don't belive then read over 50 pages of this thread and then you will belive.

8 Posts

February 26th, 2015 09:00

Ladies and Gents

Coil whine issue in new 4k's units. Check this out  http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge.735403/page-357

March 11th, 2015 17:00

Hello again,

I finally bit the bullet and had my motherboard and screen replaced (screen had dust underneath). I wasn't able to determine if the motherboard was a new part number or not. CPU model was the same: 4702.

The coil whine remains but at a lower volume and intensity. I'm giving it a few weeks to determine if I can classify it as an 'acceptable level.' Is there a level that people here would consider acceptable?

CC

7 Posts

March 11th, 2015 18:00

Not really. I just received a MB replacement that is crazy loud. It was a refurbished part though.

1 Message

March 11th, 2015 18:00

It got fixed.... All new ones around last last year got the repair. I got a new one to replace my loud one, and it is a silent dream.

No Events found!