Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2014 09:00

XPS 15 9530 screen flicker

Every 5-60 seconds, the screen will flicker on this 2 week old laptop. It shows on the bottom of the screen most frequently (approx. bottom third). The screen just goes black for a half second then comes back normally. I have up-to-date drivers for intel (HD4600) and NVidia (GT 750M) at the time of this post. This just started happening this morning. I have not touched the drivers since the 335.23 update. I have tried rebooting a couple of times without success. Anyone else having such an issue?

1 Message

August 9th, 2014 00:00

I had the same problem. I know it's sounds weird but disabling the Intel driver from Device Manager solved the problem.

April 30th, 2014 08:00

Yes, I've been having this identical problem. I've reinstalled Windows, upgraded and downgraded drivers for both video drivers, updated the touchscreen firmware, updated the BIOS. Nothing. I'm probably going to have to get it serviced, and it wouldn't surprise me if they have to replace the motherboard.

76 Posts

May 10th, 2014 10:00

A long shot, but,, I just had a display problem on a Dell 15z (no, not the 9530 I know) but, the display would go quite 'fuzzy', nearly unreadable, then 'come back' to normal. It seemed to occur at random times, but also seemed to be correlated to using either a BT or USB mouse after it sat idle for a few minutes. The unit was upgraded to a 7260AC wireless card some time ago, and after a string of attempts to fix the display problem, it was changed back to the original 6230N wireless card - and the display no longer went 'weird'! I don't think it is a 7260/6230 problem since the computer worked well for months with the 7260 card. But it might be a wireless card that went bad. How it affects the display I don't understand, but changing the wireless card did 'fix' the display erratic behavior. Before that, I had changed out the RAM, the SSD, and the battery, but all those had no effect. You could try perhaps disabling the 7260AC wireless card for a while via device manager and see if the display problem changes.

76 Posts

May 11th, 2014 06:00

UPDATE>....... I swapped out the wireless card, and the 15z worked find for a few days and I thought I found the culprit. But then, the flickering screen re-appeared...... It is NOT the wireless card that is the culprit causing the screen flicker.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2014 03:00

I have had a similar problem since purchasing the XPS 15-9530. I have installed windows 7. This lead to issues about clarity and size of text when using the native display 3200X1800. So I set the display to 2048X1152.

When I get flicker I reset the resolution back to 3200x1800 and then back to 2048x1152. This fixes the flicker. But  it is a pain to do. I usually have to do it after a restart or a resume.

August 9th, 2014 08:00

I got the laptop serviced and Dell replaced the motherboard and monitor. That fixed the problem.

1 Message

October 18th, 2014 14:00

Thanks Wiseman, it worked for me too.

Nag

1 Message

July 7th, 2015 05:00

New XPS 15 flickering.  Fixed it by disabling FATrayMon from Sensible Vision.  Flicker disappeared immediately and did not return!

2 Posts

July 7th, 2015 18:00

This is good news. Can you tell me how to disable FATrayMon from Sensible Vision?

Cheers.

1 Message

July 20th, 2015 14:00

There is a better solution found here:

The issue might have to do with adaptive refresh

1. Right click on desktop.
  2. Go to graphic properties.
  3. Go to the Power tab under Intel HD graphics Control panel.
  4. Select the On Battery tab at the top.
  5. Disable Panel Self-Refresh.

No Events found!