Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2017 13:00

XPS 15 9550 Bios 1.3 upgrade - no bootable devices after reboot!

I;ve just updated the Bios to V1.3 which appeared to work successfully but on reboot it is now reporting no bootable drives. 

Who can I speak to about this? I'm concerned that there is something wrong with this BIOS upgrade and others will also be affected.

Andrew

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 29th, 2017 14:00

^ If that alone doesn't fix it, there are more steps you can try in this thread detailing this same issue on the same system model: en.community.dell.com/.../20013288

But please do report what you find as your active settings in the BIOS.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 29th, 2017 13:00

Go into your BIOS setup and check the boot mode.  Is it set to Legacy?  If so, set it to UEFI and optionally re-enable Secure Boot.  Several users have been reporting this issue after a BIOS update....

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Interesting, so the BIOS update isn't flipping the system back to Legacy boot mode, but rather clearing out the boot order in a way that for some reason isn't being automatically recreated, even though the system should be automatically checking for the bootx64.efi file at the specified path on every detected device at boot time.

Yes, I agree that Dell should be looking at this quickly, especially given that Dell's latest BIOS updates for a few systems (including this one) have also introduced intermittent disconnects for USB devices connected via the TB16 or WD15 docks, and as of now, there's no fix, nor have the problematic BIOS updates been pulled -- although downgrading to an earlier BIOS release doesn't seem to fix it either.

Come on here, Dell.  BIOS updates that make people's docks practically unusable and cause their systems not to boot are severe problems by any measure, and even more frustratingly, I haven't even seen an official response that these issues have been officially acknowledged and escalated to any sort of engineering team, never mind an ETA on a fix.

16 Posts

UEFI and Secure Boot were already enabled.

16 Posts

Phew!!! I followed these instructions in http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20013288 and I'm pleased to report the machine booted as normal. I'll add a comment on that thread too.

I'm concerned that others might also have trouble with this BIOS update. Someone should get Dell to check!!!

Thanks

No Events found!