Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2016 11:00

XPS 15 9550 Freeze randomly - Black screen

My XPS 15 9550 - quad core i5 freezes randomly - the screen will turn black (or grey), but not the windows BSOD. I have to hold the power button to force shutdown and reboot the laptop when this happens.

Tried updating all drivers, not helpful, clean installed windows 10, didn't help.

This could happen anytime, even at the time I'm not touch my laptop, or running anything.

Seems to be driver related or hardware.. anyone have some issues? 

12 Posts

February 18th, 2016 09:00

To give an update, Dell replaced my motherboard yesterday and it has been working find without any issue since. I will keep it on for the next few days to see if this is truly fixed. 

27 Posts

February 18th, 2016 10:00

What's the  BIOS version comes with the new motherboard? and have you updated all drivers?

12 Posts

February 18th, 2016 10:00

It comes with 1.0.5, the technician updated it to the latest (1.1.19). I didn't redo my system, so all the drivers are already up to date.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2016 00:00

Same issue with my XPS 15 9550. Random grey screens requiring pushing power button to force shutdown. On the system history, appcrash, igfxext errors each time. Tried updating drivers/bios to no avail. Currently in contact by email with dell technician, trying usual steps--no progress thus far.

February 19th, 2016 08:00

Also having the same issue, Nvidia is to blame for this for a less than reliable GPU..

I hope this can be fixed thru Bios update soon, otherwise having to change motherboard is too much work..

I disabled the 960m and haven't had issues since, but I bought this laptop specifically to use the 960m

53 Posts

February 21st, 2016 17:00

Same problem. Random black screens. Only way out is to push the power button until the system shuts down. After disabling the Nvidia 960m in the Windows Device Manager no issues at all.

Is it an hardware problem or can it be fixed with a firmware/driver update?

27 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 08:00

Some on this post have their motherboard replaced - it seemed working for them.

I'm not in a rush sending my laptop in, but I've contacted dell, hope this problem can be solved by a BIOS update. 

February 22nd, 2016 20:00

hoping for a bios update fix for this.

Actually I've been disabling the 960m for 4 days now, and it still happens, just a lot less often !

7 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 22:00

Problem was gone for me with m960 disabled. Now I have a new motherboard and the m960 and all is fine for now. Upgraded BIOS to 1.1.19.

13 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 22:00

OK, so I now actually have my XPS 15-9550 running with the 960m enabled without any crashes.  NOTE! - this worked for me, can't guarantee it'll work for you.

-Go to Settings, Apps, and search for anything with the word "Nvidia" in it.  Uninstall all Nvidia drivers and programs.  You will likely have to reboot at least once and go back to Apps to get them all.

-Go to Settings, Device Manager, and right click on the 960m display adapter, and choose to "Remove Device" - make sure that "Delete Device Driver" is checked.

-Open File Explorer, go to "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".  Delete the "Nvidia Corporation" folders in both locations.  (See where I'm going with this?)

-Restart the computer.

-After the screen stops resizing and blinking after the reboot, go to Settings, "Device Manager" and verify that the 960m is back.  You'll now be running on the Microsoft drivers for the 960m which it turns out actually appear to work.  They might not be cutting edge with all the bells and whistles, but...

I'm going to play with it a bit more tonight to see if I can isolate exactly which part of the Nvidia package is causing the issue.  My initial guess based on some earlier work is that it's in the PhysX program/drivers/whatnot, but I won't be sure until I crash the machine again.

Hope this helps someone out there!  

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 22:00

If it were a driver issue, how do you explain that the issue is solved by replacing the motherboard while keeping the exact same Windows installation on my ssd with all the same drivers?

13 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 23:00

Never said that I think it's a driver issue.  All I said is "this is a workaround to at least bring it back online" and "I'm going to play with it some more."  I posted as a "hey, this at least does something to mitigate the issue" - if the post isn't useful, I'll happily remove it.  I have played with it some more since and it doesn't matter what version Nvidia driver you use, the problem persists, even if only the driver is installed.

I'm just peeved that I have to replace hardware in a brand new system.

53 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 23:00

Same here: replaced the laptop, put back my Samsung 950 Pro SSD with the exact same Windows installation and device drivers and the problem is gone.
In addition, with the old laptop, I'd experience the same freezes & blank screens even with the 960m disabled.

In my case it was definitively an hardware issue.

February 24th, 2016 11:00

@chrispete  definitely not a fix to install older drivers. This might be either from bios or hardware replacement. 

27 Posts

February 24th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the update.. I probably will give it a try too. Please keep us updated if you see this problem again - I remembered sometimes I dont see this problem for many days with 960M enabled.

I also dont want to have my motherboard replaced in a new laptop - since Dell hasn't identified the issue, I could end up with the same problem again and probably even something new from the replacement. I also will have trouble re-activating my window 10 pro after a motherboard change. 

No Events found!