Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 10th, 2016 11:00

XPS 15 9550 - Pre sales questions

Hi guys, I'm looking to get an XPS 15 9550, i7 for my work (Web developer). As I've got 2 external HD displays I want to use, I'm going for the entry level i7 unit and upgrading it myself (avoids the Dell tax).

So, out if the box, does it support attaching 2 external screens and using them and the internal  panel, giving you 3 screens in total?

Also, can you add a data disk if it doesn't come with one ( ie m2 ssd only).

Lastly how quick is the supplied m2 ssd, is it worth getting a 1TB m2 device instead?

Are there any gotchas to installing 32gb of ram via 2x 16gm sticks?

Regards

Steve

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2016 14:00

The system should have no problem driving three displays.  

If you buy the model with the smaller battery --56 W-Hr -- you can install a 2..5" drive in addition to an SSD.  If you buy the 83 W-Hr battery, you can only have one M.2 SSD - the battery takes up the space used by the 2.5" drive bay.

The NVMe/PCie drive interface is 2x -- not 4X, so while it'll be faster than SATA, it's not going to give you full NVMe speeds.  If you want that, you need a Precision mobile workstation model.

16 Posts

November 10th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the info.  Since posting that post, I had actually changed my mind to getting a Precision 7510, so Good point on the m2. Or if interest, do you know if the 1tb ssd Dell use is the Samsung 961 unit as that has pretty decent transfer rates, from what I can see.

Also, I presume that laptop also supports the 3 screen operation?

TIA

Steve

November 10th, 2016 20:00

Greetings,

The system is shipped with Intel i7 6th generation processor.
The system can support 2 external screens along with the laptop screen.
Yes, we can add upto 256 mSATA SSD with Intel Smart Cache support. The maximum memory support is 32 GB.
Please contact our Sales team(U.S only) at 1-800-999-3355 Mon–Sun 8 A.M. – 8 P.M. CST. to give the more options on the processor.

No Events found!