Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2015 13:00

XPS 15 9550 With Black Screen Issue

Hi,

I have a  XPS 15 9550 UHD, 512GB SSD and using the laptop without major problems for  3 days. Today I have tried to boot into safe mode for windows and pressed the F8 button randomly on the start. It didnt work and i have retried the boot. I might have randomly pressed the Function buttons like F5-F6-F7-F8 etc.  But right now the the screen is always black, no signs of any Dell Logo or bios login. I can see that there is power on the notebook, fans are working, there is lights on the keyboard but the screen is black and there is absolutely no signs of boot.

I also have press and hold the FN + Power button. It didnt work. I have tried everything but its not booting. What could be wrong here? Is removing the battery ( I hope the warranty will not be void if i open the backside of the laptop ) and retry the powering on a good idea?

BTW I have purchased this laptop in US and return to my country Turkey. Is the DELL warranty valid Internationally?

Best regards

380 Posts

January 24th, 2016 13:00

Try holding down the power button for about ten seconds, release it, and press it again. As I recall something like that happened to me recently and I think that is how I resolved it.

BTW, the F8 key for getting into Safe Mode has been disabled in Windows 10. You can do it by holding the Shift key while clicking the Power > Restart links on the login screen or the Start Menu (left or right click selection), and then getting into Troubleshooting. The other option is to modify BCDEdit.

EDIT: I have just now been experiencing some strange issues on this site. Once in a while if I right-click on one of the posts to select opening it in a separate tab, the selection box (which has a number of other selections) is completely or partially black. I have never seen this before. I am using the latest version of Firefox as my browser.

JohnD

1 Message

February 3rd, 2016 19:00

I think you had misunderstand the issue

I have xps 15 9550, i7, 4k, 512gb

however I had been replaced a new laptop and replace a motherboard by dell

the problem is while pressing F8 key randomly on startup, it first will comes with dell logo and a blue bar

however it will not keep on the boot, it just hang on the Dell logo

while power down the laptop and boot back up it just gone dead

this issue was tested with 3 motherboard with totally same F8 key so this is solidly confirmed it's F8 key problem

however your CS says this is my issue to press F8, I had working in computer industry for 1x years and a PC can be killed by a single F8 key? this is funny

February 15th, 2016 03:00

My problem was exactly the same as yours. I pressed the F8 while booting. I powered down and it didnt start anymore. No dell logo, no other screens. It completely goes dark. 

Anyway I solved my problem by returning back the laptop and buy a new one. I am feeling like there are many defects on the first products and these are solved on the latest ones. I dont have a major problem on my current xps 15 9550 now. 

380 Posts

April 6th, 2016 15:00

Wow that is unbelievable and unfortunate. Hope things will get straightened out for you.

Just a note for others:

F8 to get into Safe Mode has been disabled in Windows 10. You can enable it but it requires using BCEDIT to modify the boot process. Otherwise the standard way to get into Safe Mode is to hold the Shift key while pressing the Power > Restart button. When you get to the "Choose Options", select "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Startup Settings" > "Enable Safe Mode", then reboot and select Safe Mode. Of course this does not help you if you cannot boot your system initially. In that case you need a bootable CD or flash drive containing a Windows 10 Recovery Drive or Windows 10 Installation media.

JohnD

1 Message

January 13th, 2016 23:00

Hello, 

I have the same exact laptop, and the same exact problem. I was trying to boot into bios by pressing f2, and the fn key (and maybe a couple other f keys idk), and now my laptop won't do anything other than turn the power led and fans on. 

Did you ever end up finding a solution to this issue?

Thanks,

2 Posts

January 14th, 2016 05:00

Hi, I have a XPS 13 9350 and excactly the same Problem after BIOS update.

No Dell Logo at Boot, Keyboad Illuminates, Power LED on, Black Screen (but Sceen Backlight worked).

I tested and found a SOLUTION (maybe it works for XPS 15 too):

1. Press ON Button

2. When Screen Backlight turned on, spam F12 Button

3. You will see a little Part of the Screen. Press "Arrow Down" until you see "Flash Bios Update" is highlighted.

4. From this Place, press 1x "Arrow UP" (thats the Menu Point "Device Configuration", but it is not visible). Press "Enter"

5. After 2-3 Seconds you will see a part of the BIOS Screen (Screen from "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology")

6. Press F3 (load Optimized Defaluts, not visible) -> Enter (Yes) -> F4 (Save & Exit).

Your Notebook will reboot. After that you will see the Dell Logo.

January 24th, 2016 08:00

Hello,

The thing is the screen is totally black. Only the CTRL + D diagnostic buttons are working and thats all. I am sure its a hardware fault. I am a little bit surprised that a face this problem after 3 days of normal usage.

I have packaged the laptop and sent to US for return. I hope they will not make trouble and accept the hardware for return. 

Best regards

5 Posts

January 24th, 2016 18:00

Same laptop, same problem, waiting for repair.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2016 07:00

I am having a similar problem.  While working, the screen will suddenly go black.  I have to hold down the power key until the light on it goes out.  Wait a few seconds then restart.  Everything comes back up until the next time it happens.

13 Posts

February 13th, 2016 09:00

Cvboykin:  My 9550 started doing the exact same thing this morning (2.13.16).  I updated to the newest BIOS & Thunderbolt firmware immediately before the issue started.  

3 Posts

February 13th, 2016 10:00

I too am on the latest BIOS, but I held off on installing the latest Thunder Bolt stuff since I am not using it yet.

Hopefully Dell will fix the BIOS if that is the problem.

February 14th, 2016 21:00

Now, more to the point, WHAT ARE DOING ABOUT THIS DELL?

None of us deserve - after spending upwards of $1500 on these devices - to have to worry about our data being lost and damage to our devices, from having to force shut down 2 to 5, 6, 7, 8 times a day. Similarly, nobody should be having to PAY for some <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> service to have their mother boards replaced, or given some cheesy runaround solution from your scripts.

I want real results, or I'm done with this thing. It's a great device, but the complications involved with your entire customer service division, these technical issues, and lack of results are not creating a favorable opinion.

I have the same issue, that became most recurrent with the latest bios. Prior to that, I'd get black screen issues when connected through the HDMI display or when as a standalone device. Either is unacceptable for a BRAND NEW machine - less than 3 weeks in my possession. 

February 14th, 2016 21:00

This is not any sort of a suggested answer. This should be removed and better advice, FROM DELL, needs to come forward. 

Too many people are having the same issue to be ignored.

This 1/2 way, *** solution; should not even be able to be registered as suggessted.

13 Posts

February 15th, 2016 08:00

Cboykin:  Found another thread here that started up at the same time as the problem.  If you disable the Nvidia 960m graphics card, the computer starts working perfectly.  Not a great solution, but obviously something got updated/changed sometime around the morning of the 13th that makes the supplemental graphics card unstable.  Hopefully Dell will get something in the pipeline to fix the issue, the computer was unusable with the 960m enabled.

February 21st, 2016 12:00

Same issue like you. Screen goes black and the laptop is totally unresponsive. It is actually bricked. I need to press and hold the power button in order to brutally shut it down.

I disabled the Nvidia graphics driver from the device manager so I am forcing system to not use the Nvidia rather the Intel graphics thingy. It works fine but of course this is just a workaround. We haven't paid a couple of thousands to have the strong Nvidia graphics disconnected...

The randomness makes sense as system changes from the Intel graphics to the strong Nvidia when it feels like it.

Dell shall provide new firmware asap or replace our laptops. This is not a simple bug that you can just sit and wait for the next software driver update.

No Events found!