Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2015 13:00

XPS 15 9550 With Black Screen Issue

Hi,

I have a  XPS 15 9550 UHD, 512GB SSD and using the laptop without major problems for  3 days. Today I have tried to boot into safe mode for windows and pressed the F8 button randomly on the start. It didnt work and i have retried the boot. I might have randomly pressed the Function buttons like F5-F6-F7-F8 etc.  But right now the the screen is always black, no signs of any Dell Logo or bios login. I can see that there is power on the notebook, fans are working, there is lights on the keyboard but the screen is black and there is absolutely no signs of boot.

I also have press and hold the FN + Power button. It didnt work. I have tried everything but its not booting. What could be wrong here? Is removing the battery ( I hope the warranty will not be void if i open the backside of the laptop ) and retry the powering on a good idea?

BTW I have purchased this laptop in US and return to my country Turkey. Is the DELL warranty valid Internationally?

Best regards

1 Message

March 9th, 2016 15:00

Same problem as cvboykin and kosmas.valianos.

Only had this laptop for 1 month, and I get Impending black screen (with garbled noise if playing music) after the screen almost "twitches" side to side - usually after <5min using the laptop. Have to hold power button to shut down, and then I get another 5 minutes to try to back up my computer.

About to call Dell to complain and luckily found this thread.

Typed in Drivers to Cortana, Device Manager, Display Adapters, Disabled NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M driver. So far no crashing. 

Is there an update NVIDIA has put out yet? Or is this a dell problem? 

This only started after I updated to the latest BIOS.

18 Posts

March 11th, 2016 15:00

Same exact problem for me with my XPS 15 9550 after updating the BIOS.   Disabling the Nvidia card stops the black screen crashes.  Driver updates so far haven't helped.

3 Posts

March 15th, 2016 12:00

Disabling the Nvidia card did not work for me.

Reverting firmware to 1.1.15 seems to have resolved the problem!

18 Posts

March 18th, 2016 08:00

Is your computer still stable after reverting your firmware?  Where did you get version 1.1.15?

Disabling the Nvidia card did not work for me.

Reverting firmware to 1.1.15 seems to have resolved the problem!

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 15:00

Same problem here! Black screens of death, but working after disabling the Nvidia card. Dell should fix this ASAP! I'm very dissatisfied at the moment -- I paid a lot for this computer that I cannot use as I want. :-( If someone knows a better solution than disabling a major part of the computer's hardware, then please post! Thanks!

3 Posts

March 24th, 2016 02:00

Seems to be stable.

1.1.15 available here

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

18 Posts

March 24th, 2016 15:00

Seems to be stable.

1.1.15 available here

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Thank you.  I will try that.

1 Message

March 26th, 2016 18:00

Same problem, my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9550) was working fine the first two weeks. After bios update to 01.01.19, randomly black screens started. At the moment, I am trying disabling Nvida graphic card, and if it doesn't work I plan to downgrade the firmware. I really expect Dell to fix this problem quickly with a new BIOS update.

1 Message

March 27th, 2016 20:00

I got my,,,, over 2000 dollar computer around the 19th march 2016, its what the 27th? I only had 2 good days with this thing, and this is my first dell in years... As i am working , screen goes black, have to press power to reboot. But then it lost everything and i had to use system image, then it took 2 days to login, because i had NO start menu, no settings, no task bar, etc, etc...no programs...oh man...I was able to use f12and and after 2 days staying up, Not sure how but i fixed it temp...I still get the black screen..

Very disappointed in a 2000 plus dollar piece of .....well ....hopefully it will get fixed before i start saying  iit to everyone,

18 Posts

March 28th, 2016 08:00

I got my,,,, over 2000 dollar computer around the 19th march 2016, its what the 27th? I only had 2 good days with this thing, and this is my first dell in years... As i am working , screen goes black, have to press power to reboot.

Is your PC also the XPS 9550?  If so, did you update to the latest BIOS from Dell's website?  Some people are speculating that the BIOS update is the cause of the black screen of death.

1 Message

March 28th, 2016 11:00

For me sure!

I've downgraded the BIOS to 1.15 from 1.19 and black screen of death look vanished....

For sure if you experience black screen  downgrade the BIOS.

you will find it on DELL FTP at : http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-15-9550-laptop.html

or direct : downloads.dell.com/.../XPS_9550_1.1.15.exe

Nearly 2 months from latest BIOS updated with problems all over... 

They screwed it, fix one thing broken 2...

I'm very upset... 

1 Message

March 28th, 2016 15:00

My dell 15 9550 is doing the same thing. I updated the bios and now I get black screens randomly . You have to hold power button down to reboot? 

13 Posts

March 29th, 2016 21:00

Got mine back from Dell after a mobo switch and the black screens had been replaced by blue screens.  (Progress, I think...)

I've been fighting it for a few days and finally used the tried and true method of disabling the nVidia card.  The computer stopped blue screening.  (So much for progress...)

As a last ditch before completely losing my mind over the situation and calling Dell to say not-so-nice things to some poor customer service rep I decided to see if maybe there were any nVidia driver droppings laying around stinking the place up.  I found a tool recommended by Tom's Hardware (google "wagnard DDU" and download from the Wagnard Mobile site (official site)).  The tool basically removes everything related to any nVidia graphics driver from your system.  I then installed the Dell nVidia driver and the system has been completely stable for the past hour or so - I was getting blue screens every 5-10 minutes previously.

Hope this helps someone else.

*Standard "I'm not a *** but I try to CMA like one" statement: This worked for my issue, your mileage may vary.  Although I believe that Mr. Wagnard should receive a ticker tape parade through Times Square for the tool he created I don't know him (though we'd probably connect if we played "Seven Degrees to Kevin Bacon") and am not affiliated with him in any way.

Off to watch my system blue screen the moment I click "Post"...

March 30th, 2016 01:00

After struggling with it for long time I believe this is the only possible to fix it.

1. Downgrade BIOS to 1.15

2. If 1. does not work replace motherboard and don't install 1.19 BIOS. Update to 1.15

March 30th, 2016 09:00

Same thing happened to me apparently after the bios upgrade, the machine would only stay up for a few minutes then the display goes blank. Dell arranged to replace the motherboard, but couldn't supply one so offered a replacement laptop, then an engineer turned up and replaced the motherboard, but this took a few weeks to happen. I'm still seeing the blank screen problem since the replacement motherboard, but not so frequently.

Hopefully the new replacement will arrive in the next few days as this is a machine I use for work and being unable to use it for nearly a month isn't what I expected from a new laptop.

PS I saw a few threads on disabling the Nvida drivers, this did seem to improve the stability a little but wasn't a full fix, I'll be disabling the updates once I get a stable machine I think.

No Events found!