Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

May 10th, 2017 11:00

XPS 15 9550 crashes when the lid is closed while not plugged in, or if unplugged after lid is closed.

While the laptop is plugged in, closing the lid works properly (in my case, sleeps) and when the lid is subsequently opened it wakes correctly.

If I close the lid while unplugged, the laptop seems to power off hard - the front LED goes out immediately, and when I open the lid the machine boots from cold. The event viewer shows a critical Kernel Power error.

If I close the lid while plugged in, the front LED blinks - I assume this means going to sleep?, but then if I unplug power the machine powers off hard - same reboot and critical error when I open the lid.

I have 1.2.21 firmware.

Any ideas how to fix this?

May 11th, 2017 07:00

Hi wbradney,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

What are the options selected in Power management when lid is closed?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address and the operating system installed on the system.

24 Posts

May 18th, 2017 12:00

All settings are "Sleep" under "choose what closing the lid does"

489 Posts

May 19th, 2017 05:00

AFAIK the front LED indicates charging. Though, it might incidentally give away some other info. There is no sleep LED indicator. I am not sure how it could go out when unplugged, because it shouldn't be lit without the charger plugged in and the battery needing charge in the first place. It seems to have a bit of delay.

One 9550 cold-boot-from-sleep bug I've had was fixed by reflashing BIOS. Has occured a few times to me after I had to force shutdown due to a runaway lsass process. Not sure if this is related. The 9550 has a few different sleep-related bugs. Another one is waking up in the backpack heating up very unpleasantly after unsuccessfully attempting to switchover to hibernate after a pre-set time ("Hibernate after" in Advanced power options).

24 Posts

May 29th, 2017 05:00

The latest BIOS (1.2.25) along with the latest chipset and video drivers seems to have resolved it so far...

24 Posts

June 4th, 2017 06:00

Spoke too soon - today I opened up the laptop and it was booting; event viewer shows the same critical kernel error.

I've also noticed that battery life with the latest firmware is about half what it was before - about 2.5 hours instead of about 5.

A few days ago I fully charged the unit, then unplugged, then closed the lid. A few hours later when I returned it was nearly out of power.

Something definitely very wrong with the power management with the latest bits.

16 Posts

June 5th, 2017 10:00

Hello - I was wondering if you found a way to solve the issue?

I am running Into the same problem with my Dell XPS 15 9550. Random BSOD (infrequent) as well as random reboots post resume-after-suspend (more frequent), with "Kernel Power" errors showing in the Event log.

1 Message

August 29th, 2017 16:00

Hi Akshatha, I have a problem very similar to wbradney. Was any solution found? Thanks

September 9th, 2017 20:00

Same BIOS version (1.2.25, 5/7/2017) and problem here with Windows 10 Build 15063.540

changed the "what to do" from sleep  to "nothing" when lid closes for now as a workaround, but would be  nice  to have it work as intended.  :)

September 10th, 2017 14:00

FYI for others, this happens regardless of the method that triggers the sleep.  I can use the power button (which is set to cause sleep when pushed) and it similarly attempts to sleep but crashes (the System event log after boot shows it was an unexpected shutdown)

September 11th, 2017 09:00

I'm not sure if  it was due to Akshatha adding my service tag to a special group after sending a PM yesterday, but  today the Dell update app listed BIOS version 1.3.0 as an available  update,  and  I can confirm that after applying that update, sleep is working perfectly!

From systeminfo:

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. 1.3.0, 8/11/2017

Thanks!

September 16th, 2017 15:00

Having the same issue waking up from sleep after the latest BIOS upgrade to 1.2.25

Windows 10 15063.608 XPS 15 9550

Close the lid and when it wakes up it usually crashes. Adding a few images to show what happened since after the first crash and my attempt to repair the issues. Right now when I usually close the lid and reopen it to wake form sleep .. I am getting the "Looks like windows didn't load correctly" screen most of the time

No Events found!