Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 31st, 2015 07:00

XPS 15 9550 hard drive interposer??

Just got the new xps 15.

Inside the machine, there is a space for a 2.5 inch hard drive and a cage right there.

But the hard-drive interposer is missing. I can't install my hard drive without the interposer.

There is a picture about it on page 19 of this manual.

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-15-9550-laptop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Please tell me the part number or where to buy the interposer online.

Thanks for helping.

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 16:00

I have the same question. I need this part. When I ordered the laptop I was told there was a slot for the drive and I should be able to just drop in my drive and use it with no issues. I expect the interposer free of charge...

27 Posts

November 5th, 2015 09:00

I just got this machine and haven't had time to open it up yet. I thought if you got the SSD option it came with a larger battery which took up the SATA drive space? I am curios now to see if I can add an SATA drive even with the larger battery.

November 5th, 2015 12:00

My laptop is with smaller battery and there is a slot for 2.5inch ssd.

But the interposer (connector cable) is missing. I know the place is for hard drive because there is a piece of hard drive case just like other laptops.

Made several calls to dell, turns out they don't even know what interposer means. And after they finally understood what I was talking about, the only information they could share was "the part is not in stock".

And guess what, the agent refused to tell the specific part number. Leave me no choice but to give up.

Dell's service has never been better.

1 Message

November 13th, 2015 14:00

While everyone has a different story, as do I. I spoke with Tech Support Chat and a Service Call Ticket was entered to have this part sent to me. I got the shipping confirmation couple hours later.

Hope this helps.

Dell internal part number XDYGX, "Cable,SATA 7mm,9550/5510

Original Source:

www.reddit.com/.../xps_15_with_ssd_only_option_does_not_come_with_a

3 Posts

January 21st, 2016 15:00

Dear Chase 1987,

I would  add to your answer.  I spoke to Sales and there are two parts to this solution.

1. The Isolator (ribbon cable) P\N #XDYGX

2. The Interposer (data connector P/N #3XYT5

These parts are extra and the sales rep should have explained this prior to ordering or they should have that in spare parts or part accessories for these models.  Hopefully they will read this and adjust accordingly.

Cheers!

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 08:00

I have these parts on order now. The part descriptions vary slightly from what MMolsten was told by Sales. In my order I see:

XDYGX - Cable, Hard Drive, SATA 7MM, 9550 / 5510

3XYT5 - Grommet, Hard Drive, Rubber, 9550 / 5510

These appear to correspond to the "hard-drive interposer" (XDYGX) and "hard-drive covers" (3XYT5) that are pictured in the service manual.

Hope this helps!

1 Message

February 25th, 2016 08:00

First of all, thanks to everyone working on the finding of those parts.

Can someone give me the links (canada) to those parts... For some reason,

using the part numbers, I can't put the hand on the parts on dell's website.

Thank you!

3 Posts

March 12th, 2016 18:00

They do not sell those parts online.  You have to call and ask for them from the parts department.

33 Posts

April 13th, 2016 11:00

I ordered the parts, m7r96, 3fdy3, xdygx and 3xyt5 on 4/6. It's been in pre production for 7 days. Called dell and they don't know when the parts are going to be back in stock. They advise me to cancel and order again.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2016 14:00

I just ordered the ribbon cable here... not cheap!
www.amazon.com/.../B01B5DK24E

If you need the grommet:
www.amazon.com/.../B004GUVKOA

33 Posts

April 16th, 2016 13:00

Buying from third party is expensive. I ordered all those parts for under $100 from dell.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2016 13:00

They're currently back-ordered from Dell. When you got to have it now...

1 Message

October 19th, 2016 08:00

Here is the complete assembly including cage to install a hard drive.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_cp_147_2

No Events found!