Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SD

June 21st, 2017 06:00

XPS 15-9560, Backup software suggestions?

For my last Dell laptop I used "Acronis True Image Home 2011" to do this. I could boot to a thumb drive or CD and run the Acronis software from there.  However, this does not work on my new laptop as the Acronis software does not recognize the PCIe drive. Can you recommend other software that I can use to do the backup ? Free or commercial software is ok. My laptop setup procedure is very complicated and time consuming, so I like to make a number of backups that I can restore to later. I prefer software that I can boot to on a thumb drive or CD in case Windows falls apart and I cant boot into Windows to run the restore operation.

532 Posts

June 21st, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

Unfortunately, we do not have any application apart from Dell Backup and Recovery. Dell Backup and Recovery software will not back up any software, the software will only backup the Operating system. We request you to contact any of the local technician to check regarding a software that can help you back up the data. In regards to Dell softwares, the same will be available on Dell Digital Delivery application. Let us know if you have any further concerns, we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

489 Posts

June 21st, 2017 14:00

Older backup sw indeed don't recognize NVMe drives. It may be possible using a WinPE restore environment, but that's a rather DIY affair regarding the drivers required. You can check a recent Acronis version if their recent linux restore environment supports NVMe. It might matter whether the laptop is set to RAID or AHCI in BIOS. I recall EaseUsToDo backup had the NVMe option earlier.

You could also consider free Windows backup (it doesn't feature total system backup though).

3 Posts

June 21st, 2017 17:00

I had similar issues with Acronis. I used this guide and was able to get a WinPE disk setup. Acronis works just fine after this - forum.acronis.com/.../guide-add-drivers-winpe-recovery-media.

7 Posts

June 21st, 2017 21:00

Use slimdrivers app to backup all of your drivers.

No Events found!