Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 5th, 2017 07:00

XPS 15 9560 Delayed Audio Alerts

I am having an issue with the audio portion of alerts being slow on my 9560. Typically, an alert pops up and then a second or two later the sound comes.

-- My prior laptop and desktop audio works in a timely basis.

-- Don't see any issues with audio delay streaming video, only on Windows alerts.

-- I have had it for a couple of months now, and it has always been like this.

-- Seems like audio software may not be running and has to be started before audio can play, but this is just a guess.

How can I fix this? I use laptop for stock market work, and get lots of alerts. Very annoying problem!

Thank you!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 5th, 2017 09:00

Are audio alerts the only thing which is delayed?  For instance, if you scroll or swipe using the touchscreen or touchpad, does that cause a delayed reaction?

Problems when typing?

24 Posts

Everything is excellent except for the slow audio. Strange, huh?

One possible lag might be AV scanning (Windows Defender.) All the directories from source software are excluded, but not sure about audio driver setup.

24 Posts

Glad to know I am not the only one. Most of the stuff I do is very low CPU use -- typically 5-8% total.

Most times, the audio lag is closer to one second, just guessing. So maybe we are looking at something similar.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I have been trying to track down the reason for the delay for some time but have not been able to tie it to a specific process.  In my log I do see a couple of places where the system delays a 1/2 second and could add up to the 2 second delay but I am still trying to know for sure.

I am running on a Clean install right now for testing and it is doing the same thing as the OEM install.

Maybe someone else will know.

24 Posts

October 5th, 2017 12:00

I will try that, thanks. That makes sense for what could cause it.

What I use it for is audio updates for trading. They are rapid fire. Visual does not help me here, unfortunately.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 5th, 2017 12:00

Even though the computer is on, I think that our customized Dell Realtek audio driver is set to enter D3 power state. Versus D0 which is on all of the time. You can try installing the retail Realtek driver to see if it makes a difference. Although you will lose the other Dell customized portions of the Realtek driver. Of course, you can always remove the retail driver and reinstall ours if it does not fix the issue. Maybe using a visual alert rather than an audio alert would be a better choice?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 5th, 2017 13:00

Another thought, what about opening Task Manager- Details. Set RtkAudioService64 priority to Realtime?

No Events found!