Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2017 20:00

XPS 15 9560 Keyboard not working

My laptop was in sleep mode one night, and I woke up and opened it and was unable to enter my password. Luckily, my laptop has he fingerprint scanner so I was able to get to the desktop. The touchpad still works so I could open Chrome. I tried typing into the search bar and the keyboard was unresponsive. Every single key. I tried in multiple programs, still nothing. I tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete, but nothing happens. I’ve restarted the laptop multiple times and the keyboard still is unresponsive. I’ve checked for driver updates for the keyboard and I’m all up to date. The backlight on the keyboard also doesn’t work. Is the keyboard just broken and I just need to replace it?

July 9th, 2017 05:00

Hi Knapp129,

Any damages / spillage on the keyboard?

Does external keyboard works fine?

Any particular keys or the whole keyboard?

please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

1 Message

October 16th, 2017 09:00

Hi Vijay A

I have the problem. Its been 3 weeks since I bought the laptop and today the keyboard sudden stopped responding. Even the backlight is flickering continuously.

30 Posts

October 17th, 2017 10:00

Hi ,

1) Is external keyboard pr on screen keyboard by Windows working fine? If no, if may due to software or OS issue.

2) Is keyboard working fine in BIOS environment. You may try to tap F2 button when you start the system and see the Dell logo. Try to use the Arrows button in BIOS. If it works in BIOS environment there is no hardware issue.

3) Is SupportAssist preinstalled in the system? If yes, do a hardware checkup, run the specific device scan which is keyboard, check if it works on SupportAssist. If it still fails, it may indicate to hardware issue.

30 Posts

October 17th, 2017 10:00

Hi Knapp129,

1) Is external keyboard pr on screen keyboard by Windows working fine? If no, if may due to software or OS issue.

2) Is keyboard working fine in BIOS environment. You may try to tap F2 button when you start the system and see the Dell logo. Try to use the Arrows button in BIOS. If it works in BIOS environment there is no hardware issue.

3) Is SupportAssist preinstalled in the system? If yes, do a hardware checkup, run the specific device scan which is keyboard, check if it works on SupportAssist. If it still fails, it may indicate to hardware issue.

No Events found!