Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2017 15:00

XPS 15 9560 or wait for the 9570?

I'm thinking of purchasing the 1TB 32GB RAM XPS 15, with the current 14% off its not too bad.

However I'm wondering if its wise to wait for the refresh? The XPS has been announced with the new 8th gen CPU's, anyone know if the XPS 15 is likely to get a refresh this year? or is it going to be early 2018? and would you advise to wait?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 18th, 2017 16:00

The bigger impact of the 8th gen CPUs is going to be on the XPS 13, which for the first time will be available with a quad-core CPU.  For the XPS 15, I'm personally not seeing anything to get excited about for the 8th gen Intel CPUs in the model segment that the XPS 15 uses.  I'm sure the new CPUs will be the standard 10-15% faster and a bit better on battery life, but 8th gen strikes me as a very evolutionary update, except again for cases like the XPS 13 where more cores will now be available.  I haven't seen anything to indicate the XPS 15 will be able to get a 6-core processor though, for example.  7th gen added hardware decoding support for 4K video, which I would argue was a significant upgrade, but there's nothing like that here.  If these 8th gen chips were introducing a new version of Thunderbolt that included DisplayPort 1.4 to add support for 5K displays, HDR, and FreeSync, that might be worth waiting for (HDR external display support and maybe an HDR internal display is what I'm waiting for before buying my own next PC), but I've seen no indication of that at all.

You also have to ask yourself how heavy your CPU utilization really is.  Most people think they use a lot of CPU capacity and need it to be fast, but if you ran Perfmon on their systems for a day while they did their work, you'd probably see their CPU barely ever going above 30% for more than a second or so.  Storage is BY FAR the larger bottleneck in most people's everyday usage, which is why SSDs are such a transformative upgrade, but you apparently aren't considering a model that includes one. If you've never used an SSD-equipped system before, you may want to reconsider that decision, because a 5-year-old system with an SSD upgrade will feel MUCH faster to the average user than a brand new PC that uses a spinning hard drive.  The cache module that comes with the XPS 15 1TB models will help, but it's not even close to the real thing.

And of course if you're a gamer, the GPU is another key factor, assuming you'll be getting an XPS 15 version that has dedicated graphics rather than just the Intel GPU.  In that case, that upgrade will probably be more important and possibly a bigger jump than the CPU refresh. On the other hand, the 9560 already got a significant upgrade over the 9550 on that front, so this jump may not be as large.  I haven't seen anything about the GPU that will be included.

Dell hasn't said anything about an XPS 15 refresh timeframe.  It would certainly make sense to try to get it out by the holidays, but that may not be feasible based on all kinds of factors, including Intel/NVIDIA's supply chain.

As always, waiting will very likely get you something better, but you have to buy at some point, and of course you'll pay more.  If you're not going to be gaming heavily on this system, taking the savings is probably the best bet.  If you game heavily and are willing to pay more to get a few more FPS out of a refreshed system, then wait.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 18th, 2017 17:00

Edited my initial post a few times in case you read the original version via email notification.

16 Posts

September 19th, 2017 11:00

Thanks for the very informative post, appreciate it.

My bad I didn't make my post clear, its the 1TB SSD 32GB RAM Model I'm looking at (best spec one available I believe)

I'm not really a gamer so the graphics side of things aren't much of an issue, at least with the XPS 15 its decent enough to play any game at reasonable settings if desired.

I was looking at the XPS 13 originally as it works out to about £300 cheaper, that's still on the table but I would rather have the new refresh, but then the issue is the 14% off expires tomorrow.

The gap in performance for the most part be in terms of graphics power between the new xps 13 and the xps 15.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 19th, 2017 13:00

I'm not much of a gamer either, and while I do enjoy the additional real estate of a 15" display when I'm on the road, that's not very often.  My laptop spends probably 95% of its life sitting on my desk with the lid closed.  Consequently, had the XPS 13 been available with a quad-core processor when I bought mine, I might well have gotten the XPS 13 instead because it's less expensive, smaller on my desk, and perhaps I'd even have come to value the extra portability over the display real estate on the few occasions where I traveled.

The XPS 13 with the new CPU is also available right now (at least in the US) although it's confusingly still called the 9360 and listed right among other specs that still use the 7th gen CPU.  Just look for the spec that has a CPU model beginning with an "8" if you want to explore that option, although I don't know if it's yet available with the storage and memory spec you want.

If you can't get the XPS 13 the way you want it, if I were in your position I'd probably take the 14% off, especially given that you're buying the top-end model, where that 14% will mean more savings.  I just don't see any meaningful potential for buyer's remorse with the XPS 15 refresh, especially for non-gamers.

16 Posts

September 19th, 2017 13:00

Yeah to be honest I'm currently using my HTPC connected to my TV, likely to do the same when I'm at home, Gaming isn't anything I'd be doing to be honest, and I have a PS4 for that if I'm that tempted or have the time.

I'm not sure if I've made the right move here, but I've just ordered the following:

outlet.euro.dell.com/.../SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx

XPS 13 - 9360

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7500U (2 Core, 4MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz,15W)

Windows 10 Home (64bit)

16 GB Memory

512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Intel HD Graphics

Software

Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Power Cord : 250V

Primary 4-cell 60W/HR Battery

13.3 inch QHD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge Touch Display

Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

It was very hard to say no at £980, I know the CPU is no where near as powerful but it is £1000 cheaper and that's very hard to ignore, its spec'd pretty well and should do the job.

I don't do anything very cpu taxing so I hope the 7500 is enough, but at least I have the option to test and if its not satisfactory return it and bite the bullet on a new XPS 13.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 19th, 2017 15:00

I just helped a friend order a very similar spec to that, except he wanted Win10 Pro for BitLocker and to defer new Win10 releases until they were designated "business-ready" and he also wanted the FHD display for its anti-glare surface and longer battery life.  My wife also has an XPS 13 9350, and both my friend and wife really like their systems. If you're not doing anything that requires much CPU or GPU and don't need the real estate of a 15-inch display, then it is an absolutely fantastic alternative to the XPS 15 at a better price. Enjoy!

16 Posts

Yeah I did have a quick look under Work, but they don't seem to list XPS laptops there for some reason.

Decisions decisions, when looking at spending this kind of cash its always a problem lol, don't want to make the wrong choice.

16 Posts

Yeah I wanted WIn 10 pro for Bitlocker but then I'd lose out on other options due to availability. (I'd probably end up upgrading it which would add £100 on top, I believe that's the cost to do it through the microsoft store)

I am however still in two minds, I got a quote for the 512GB SSD 16GB RAM 4K display, with 3 year warranty including accidental cover,  if I add 3 year coverage to the XPS 13 (no accidental cover available) then the price difference between the two is £600, this makes me think although its still a bit of money its certainly getting me a lot more, much faster in every regard, plus it has win 10 pro, finger print reader and 3 year accidental coverage.

I'll have to sleep on it I think,  I'd settle with the 512GB version over the 1TB as I know if I need to I can just upgrade that along with the RAM if I ever need it, with the 13 the only concern I have is the CPU and it possibly not being quite as snappy as I'd like, it seems to be on par if not below the I3 6300 which is what I had in my htpc before getting a 6700k

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

This may not be an option in the UK, but at least in the US, Dell has separate Home and Business stores.  I can for example to go dell.com/home or dell.com/work.  The laptops in the work store all default to Win10 Pro, so you might find a spec that you're happy with there assuming you haven't already looked and this is even available in the UK.  You might also find accidental damage coverage can be added that way.  However, some coupons are also specific to purchasing from a particular store.  Otherwise yes I believe that's the correct price for an in-place upgrade to Pro from the Microsoft Store.

Good luck with the decision!

16 Posts

September 19th, 2017 16:00

Just had a quick look, does indeed seem to be far more customization but *** the price is rather insane, quite a bit more expensive than the XPS 15 :(

I found one in the outlet store for about £1700 with very good spec, but its only a 1080p display, 4k or QHD+ is a must for me, at that price I'd be tempted with a brand new XPS 15 1TB model as that would be £400 more with 3 year warranty and accidental cover. But I suppose its a trade off.

Got a headache thinking about this lol, decision time tomorrow I think.

So my options are:

XPS 13 - £980 1 year warranty - Refurb - Ordered earlier spec above - 3 Year warranty pushes this to £1165

XPS 15 - £1771 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Win 10 pro, Recovery USB, Finger print reader, 3 year warranty with accidental cover

XPS 15 - £2169 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Win 10 pro, Recovery USB, Finger print reader, 3 year warranty with accidental cover

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

One other difference between the 5520 and XPS 15: The former is available with Dell Wireless and Intel Wireless WiFi cards, whereas the latter is only available with Killer Wireless.  In my experience, I've found Intel to be best, followed by Dell (Broadcom), followed by Killer. That said, WiFi cards are $25-30, so that would not be an expensive or difficult swap on an XPS 15 if you felt the need.

16 Posts

Yeah sorry they do, I didn't select it as I thought I can just purchase that later in a few months rather than now, where'as with the newer system I believe I then can't get accidental cover if not purchased there and then - could be wrong.

The price for 3 year warranty on the 13 is £185 more. so £1165

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

If you're ordering the refurb unit through Dell, I'm surprised they don't offer other warranty options, since over here the Dell Outlet allows you to add any warranty to refurb units that would be available on brand new units.  I would honestly run perfmon for a day on your current system and have it record two counters: Processor\% Processor Time, and Memory\Available MBytes.  See how much CPU and memory you actually use to get a sense of whether that faster CPU and/or 32GB will matter to you.  Just remember when reading the results that you're looking at AVAILABLE memory, not allocated memory -- and don't count CPU utilization when watching video, since 7th gen CPUs have a lot of acceleration built in for that.  If you don't need those, then I agree the XPS 13's price is highly tempting and I'd probably go for it myself.

I don't really see the value of the higher-end XPS 15 spec unless you actually do need the memory and/or storage.  Otherwise, as you say, both of those can be upgraded later if needed, and although may still have spent more overall, the SSD you'd buy when you needed the extra capacity would at least very likely be faster than the SSD you'd buy today.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Lol, I know the feeling!  Well if you decide to stick with the XPS 15, you might also want to look at its sister system the Precision 5520.  It's identical in specs except that it offers a Quadro GPU rather than a GeForce GPU, but the main appeal is that you can often customize it more to your liking.  So for example if you want a huge SSD and lots of memory but don't want the higher-resolution, glossy display and don't need the dedicated GPU, chances are you can order that configuration on the Precision, whereas with the XPS systems, you sometimes can't do that.  I've also found that sometimes a given Precision 5520 spec is less expensive than the equivalent XPS 15 configuration -- no idea why. Finally, the Precisions can be optioned with faster "Class 50" SSDs, whereas XPS systems max out at "Class 40".  That's an internal designation for Dell, but basically a Class 50 SSD would be on par with the Samsung 960 Evo, one of the top models on the market today, whereas a Class 40 would still be an NVMe/PCIe SSD, but not an absolute top-end model.

16 Posts

September 20th, 2017 14:00

Well I slept on it and, I've gone for the top spec XPS 15, should keep me going for a few years lol

No Events found!