Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2012 20:00

XPS 15 (L502x) Audio problem (distortion left channel)

Hello,

I bought this XPS15 on the 16th of September in 2011 and this problem started occuring just a few hours ago...

I had external speakers plugged in (Z-10 Logitech), when suddenly my left channel speaker started making a huge noise... not a noise of 4 seconds, no a continous noise, only stopping when the laptop is turned off... right channel works just fine.

A hour or two later I plugged in my headphones in the front line out, the middle one of the 3 (speakers were plugged in here too), when I noticed really distorted sound (only in the left channel). Right channel has clear sounds, the way it should be.

When I plug the cable into the first line out (not mic, but the one on the left) it produces some slight noise in the left channel and when I play music I can hear the music softly behind the noise (the noise was way worse an hour ago (with the distorted sound on the right channel instead of left channel in this line out), just got a bit better (distortion is gone in right channel now), I don't know how or why) and when I turn the volume up.

It's a XPS15 (L502x), Windows 7, Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (latest drivers from nvidia official site), 8GB RAM, Realtek ALC665 (I believe) with Waves Maxx Audio and JBL internal subwoofer.

Any ideas on what this can be (seems different then all other stories I've read on.. like everywhere)?

PS.

Maybe some interesting information..., in an early state when I had the headphones plugged into the first line out. The noise in the left channel sounded like it was replicating the sound of the hard drive when it's processing... Like the headphones were directly plugged into the hard drive and could hear it working... Like a doctor hearing your heart beat with a stethoscope... Really weird.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 17th, 2012 05:00

Try running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. If you hear the noises during the tests then it is a hardware problem which would be covered under the warranty.

en.community.dell.com/.../19768710.aspx

No Events found!