Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2016 07:00

XPS 15, battery performances dropped suddenly

Dear community,

My XPS battery used to work fine (~3-4 hours of battery life). Since yesterday, the battery does not last more than 1 hour! It is quite disturbing since I have not installed any new software, and I am always careful not to let the battery go under 5% (in order to avoid complete battery discharge which can be fatal).

Now I am unable to use my laptop during a conference/meeting if I cannot plug it in. This is very annoying as I am often traveling for my job.

I have tried with both Windows 8.1 and Linux: with both systems, the battery does not last more than one hour. I have also tried the Dell diagnostic tool but it does not detect any issue.

Any recommendation?

Bests,

Alexandre

14 Posts

December 30th, 2016 08:00

Hi ejn63, thanks for your reply.

It is an XPS 15 9530, from 2014. The battery was replaced by Dell about a year ago (because it wasn't charging).

I agree that the lifespan is 2 to 3 years, but the battery is not that old, and it happened so suddenly.

Would you happen to know how I can replace it? I think my warranty hasn't expired but I need to check that.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2016 08:00

Which model XPS, and how old is it (and is the battery original)?  Bear in mind that 2-3 years is the normal lifespan of a battery -- if the system is of that age, you're likely seeing normal deterioration of the battery and the need to replace it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2016 09:00

Before replacing the battery, is the AC adapter correctly recognized by the system?

F2 at powerup to check.

Service manual is here:

www.dell.com/.../manuals

14 Posts

December 30th, 2016 09:00

The system detects a 130W AC adapter, which is correct

14 Posts

January 6th, 2017 09:00

Would it be possible to have an advice from a Dell support staff?

Thanks

No Events found!