Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 18:00

XPS 15 fan, on/off/on/off, gahhh!!!

My new XPS 15 L502X fan comes on for a second then turns off for a second, then repeats. it does this process half a dozen times... then stops for 10 secs then repeats.

I get this issue when just doing light stuff like word/internet/etc...

Is this by design or a fault? My temps ussualy lie between 55-60C when this is happening...

Is there a setting i can adjust?

Also is 55-60C too hot for an i7 2720qm thats doing literally nothing?

May 4th, 2011 13:00

... except, as I understand it, the fans don't work correctly in high performance mode.  So the problem with burning out the cpu still exists (or at least overheating it until shutdown).  i use my laptop for more than LibreOffice and movies.  i need the fans on when the cpu is hot)

or am i missing something?

or

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

May 4th, 2011 15:00

Works fine for me in all modes. I play Crysis 2 for an hour and the fans are blasting extremely hot air at full force but the machine keeps chugging along.

May 5th, 2011 00:00

Ok.  I: definitely going to try this tonight.  I'm sorry I: didn't understand your first post totally.  I also didn't realize that NVIDIA had released reference drivers at long last.  I thought all they had was the beta.  Thank you for this.  I'll report back.

1 Message

May 10th, 2011 13:00

I just got my XPS 15 L502X Wednesday, May 4 and the fan in doing the same thing ... going to see if I can fix with software updates or I will return it. I contacted Support and they acted as if I was the only one with this issue.

8 Posts

June 10th, 2011 13:00

I got my XPS 15 yesterday, I was ready to box it up after a couple hours and send it back!  that fan pulsating is annoying!  I'd rather have it loud than the distracting start/stop/start/stop.  There is no reason it can't run at a normal speed and not rev up and down.  My friend just got an Alienware m14x, basically the same setup, his doesn't do this!  I'd even give up the battery life and disable the intel video, but you can't!

I have BIOS A05, latest Intel and NVIDIA drivers/software, all Windows and Dell updates.  Looks like this is a common problem.  And after my HDD crash on my new XPS 435 last year that Dell or Seagate wouldn't man up responsibility for, and now this!?!  Probably the last Dell I buy if I can't get it fixed before my return window is up.

1 Message

June 12th, 2011 12:00

Mine had the same problem. Read from other notebook review thread, i uninstalled all network meter, GPU meter gadgets plus i disabled all Dell pre-installed software like Dell Stage etc.... now the fan only start up every 30+ secs (while i am typing this , i have my word,excel and onenote all switched on together with IE9) . Right after i uninstalled the GPU meter gadget, i cannot hear the fan for 30secs. that is a big improve from every 3 secs  ! Try.

8 Posts

June 12th, 2011 12:00

As soon as I open a program that uses the NVIDIA card the fan goes to a normal speed, either completely silent or a constant low speed.   Also, the trick of putting the computer to sleep and waking it up will "fix" the problem.  Although a real solution from Dell is needed.  We shouldn't have to find work-arounds and uninstall included software to get the laptop useable.

9 Posts

June 18th, 2011 22:00

I am also having the same exact issue on my New Dell XPS L502x that was sent to me with BIOS A05 on 6/10/11. I am on the phone with Dell Tech Support right now only to find out that the issue was suppose to have been fixed with the release of A05 BIOS but I am telling them its not and many of us are having the same problem.

Yet they will replace my motherboard, heatsink, and fan anyways. I hope they get this fixed soon!

8 Posts

June 19th, 2011 07:00

Well, let us know if it works, but by reading other post and other sites, I don't think it will fix the problem.  Good Luck!

9 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 17:00

After the parts got replaced, I had BIOS A04 and it was doing the same thing. Upgraded it back to A05 and SAME ISSUE with the FANS! grrr...

11 Posts

June 24th, 2011 01:00

No, the newer BIOS would not help here, unless the temperature threshold has been changed.  I think it is a design issue with the chassis, which prevents the efficient dispersal of heat.   If it preventing you from using it, I would just send it back and ask for your money back.

9 Posts

June 24th, 2011 07:00

The laptop does not overheat at all. Actually it runs perfectly! The fan issue was also doing the same thing on the Dell Studio One 1909 (All-In-One) PC and Dell put out a BIOS to fix that issue and it worked. The problem is it kicks on HIGH then dims down and finally goes off only to repeat the process. Mine is blowing out cold air so its not a heat issue.

June 25th, 2011 05:00

@iamawb, did you presented your problem to DELL?I don't think that they are reading these forum...

I have the same issue, it's not that annoying but if can be fixed...

Do you think we'll have to whait fom new bios release?

9 Posts

June 25th, 2011 10:00

Yes I have and they wanted to replace the heatsink and fan and tell me that would fix it but I told them it would not. Told a agent and supervisor which you have to remember they cant do anything its just a call centre. All they can do is report it to there engineer team. I have told them a BIOS Fix would be needed to fix this but I will call them again to do a follow up on if they are doing anything about it.

Your right its not that bad I cant even hear mine unless its really quite in the room. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. We just have to be patient so I keep telling myself.

:)

June 25th, 2011 11:00

Same here its not that bad, I can't hear it unless it's quiet in the evening...

Laptop is best buy in prise range no doubt, for me it's not a problem to whait for new bios or whatever to fix the issue....

I agree, be patient...but thay have to know that problem exists in order to fix it, I'm not so sure they know is mass problem...

:)

No Events found!